Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu Shutting Nursery

One of my kids has swine flu and we are in the process of calling in health agencies. The thing that is worrying me is if we do have to close would the staff still get paid? The owner is a real tight wad and would love not to pay us but would some form of insurance cover her for these sorts of incidents?

One of my kids has swine flu and we are in the process of calling in health agencies. The thing that is worrying me is if we do have to close would the staff still get paid? The owner is a real tight wad and would love not to pay us but would some form of insurance cover her for these sorts of incidents?

Only if the owner has 'loss of income' cover........but as Cait says 'why are you shutting'?

I don't think that is the advice you will get........do come back and let us know!

Good luck

Sunnyday

the news and media is just scaring everyone in my opinion, hyping it up... people have flu every year!! anyway as has been said don't think you need to shut as long as you have enough staff and children are ok :o

I totally agree about the hype. There is no need to close, unless of course you are short-staffed or advised to do so by your local health authority. Surestart produced a standard letter here which we sent out when we had our first case of swine flu. Local schools have been told not to close, mind you it is now holidays, but they have been told they will receive further advice at the end of August, in time to notify parents if there are any changes to that advice over the summer.

If you are concerned contact your local health authority for advice, or perhaps OFSTED. If you do this and then write a letter informing parents of the advice given, then you have covered all bases. It is up to the parent's then.

We have been told in the event of an actul case in the nursery

To close only if staff can not maintain ratios due to staff having it

We had two cases of swine flu reported to our pre-school yesterday, we will remain open as staff are all fine and that is the advice we have been given. Anyway tomorrow is our last day and many parents have chosen not to send their children now, so we only had 11 today.

Motherclangerx

our committee still haven't decided to upgrade insurance to cover loss of revenue due to closure of notifiable diseases (chair says its not going to happen !) but reading in 'nursery management today' swine flu isnt classed as a notifiable disease so most insurances wouldn't pay out anyway ! also spoke to dorset re neg and they're saying they'd leave funding in place if u only close for say a week........but any longer and they'd look to recoup.......all as clear as mud isnt it ?

Our LEA Advisors were not sure quite what to do so told us to be prepared to shut down - especially as we have all the high risk groups attatched to the nursery - babies, ill children, people with diabeties, over 60s and some pregnant women. We sent out a letter telling all parents what was going on and they would be able to take their children out of the nursery and not pay fees for that time. The next day we recieved LEA guidance telling us not to close and a grand total of 1 child did not come in because her 2 week old sister was already ill.

What I found interesting is how no one in 'authority' really knows what to do in these situations and each LEA operates differently - surely somone out there has the power to have a final say in whether or not schools/settings throughout the country close or not. If only we had some kind of group of people to make a firm, confident decision about these things countrywide, almost like, say, a government :o

Edited by Guest

I had 3 suspected cases in staff in 1 day, all sent home, then me the next!!! Advice is to remain open, unless of course ratios cant be maintained. Parents were ok; 1 said would she still have to pay if she decided not to send her child, I told her yes as were are remaining open; she was not happy with that answer and another who demanded to know who had it; of course I didnt tell her, her response was "I'm not happy about it being in here"; Does she think I went out and invited it in!!!! For goodness sake lol!!!

What are you doing about children whose parents and/or siblings have swine flu? Our manager told a parent that they couldn't bring there child in as they had cases of it at home. Although the child was on tamiflu, we saw it as a risk, especially as we are a day nursery and have young babies, children with lots of medical problems and pregnant staff. The parent was not pleased and appeared in the local paper stating the worse thing about swine flu was that their child wasnt allowed to go to nursery! I felt this was a selfish outlook from them and really upset me as i thought we have a good relationship with these parents.

We were told that as long as people dont display the symptoms then they can come to nursery. Our cooks daughter had it and whilst she had 1 day off to look after her till hubby could take over, we took advice and was told she could come back, even explained that we are a nursery located in hospital grounds and was told as long as she doesnt display symptoms she's ok to come in.

We have been told that siblings can attend school and only obviously ill children should stay at home

Can staff or children with flu come to school?

No. Staff, children or parents who have flu-like symptoms should not come to school or nursery. They should phone the school/nursery and let them know why they are not attending. They should stay at home until they have recovered and have finished any treatment they have been given (e.g. Tamiflu).

What should be done if people become unwell at school/nursery?

Staff or pupils who develop flu-like symptoms should be isolated from other pupils / staff and sent home as soon as possible.

Can staff or children come to school/nursery if someone in their family has flu?

Yes, if they are well. People who do not have flu-like symptoms but have had contact with someone with suspected swine flu (e.g. someone in their family) do not need to stay away from school/nursery.

Do we need to send letters to parents when someone has swine flu?

No. There is no need to send a letter to parents each time a pupil or staff member is diagnosed with swine flu.

We are a special school. Is there any different advice?

The general advice is the same. However, special schools, and those with a high proportion of children with medical conditions should inform the parents/carers of all other children if there are cases of flu. This is so they can be alert to any symptoms developing in their own children.

Do staff or children with medical conditions need to stay away if someone has flu?

Individuals with particular vulnerabilities, such as children or staff with weak immune systems or pregnant teachers who are well, do not need to stay away from school/nursery, even when there are cases reported at school/nursery.

What can staff and children do to reduce the spread of flu?

General good hygiene can help to reduce transmission of all viruses, including the swine flu virus. This includes:

• covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a tissue when possible

• disposing of dirty tissues promptly and carefully

• maintaining good basic hygiene, for example washing hands frequently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus from your hands to your face or to other people

• cleaning hard surfaces (such as door handles) frequently using a normal cleaning product

‘Catch it, bin it, kill it’ and cleaning measures are all important in reducing spread within schools/nurseries

We have staff/children with flu. Do we need to close the school/nursery?

No. Schools/nurseries do not usually need to close just because some staff or pupils have suspected swine flu. Some schools/nurseries have closed recently but the closure was due to staff shortages caused by illness, and not for public health reasons.

Do children or staff need to be given antivirals to prevent flu?

No. Pupils and staff at a school where there are cases of suspected swine flu do not routinely need to be offered antivirals to prevent flu (prophylaxis). Only those people who live in the same household as a case of suspected swine flu and have certain health problems are offered prophylactic (preventative) antiviral drugs. On some occasions, wider prophylaxis may be considered for some special schools and residential schools based on a risk assessment by the Health Protection Unit.

Do we need to tell the Health Protection Unit (HPU) about all children and staff with flu?

No. It is not necessary to routinely contact the HPU every time a pupil or staff member is reported to have suspected swine flu.

Can parents or staff contact the HPU for advice about themselves?

No. Please do not direct individual parents or staff to the HPU for advice – the telephone service and number is for professionals only. Members of the public who think they may have swine flu should check their symptoms online on the NHS Website [external link] or through the Swine Flu Information Line on 0800 1 513 513. If they still have concerns after this they should ring their GP.

When do we need to contact the Health Protection Unit?

Please only contact the HPU if you are aware of a case(s) of suspected swine flu in staff or pupils AND:

• you are a special school

• you are a residential school

• there are unusual symptoms in children or staff

• sickness absence is unusually high

• you have other specific concerns

• you need to close the school / nursery due to lack of staff

Where can schools/nurseries get further advice?

Further advice is available on the following websites:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&Page...p=1240732817665

Teachernet

Dirty Bertie leaflet for children

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/groups/dg_digi...t/dg_178842.htm

I see in the paper today that apparently advice has been given to nurseries, childminders and schools about removing soft toys from settings - here's a link to the online article.

I just wondered if anyone has been given advice not to let children share crayons or to remove soft toys from group settings? The article doesn't give any links to the agencies who have given this advice (chiefly the Department of Health, I think), but I certainly haven't received any advice like this.

Maz

I can't trust myself to comment on the article.......

but no Maz...no 'official' guidance received here....oh and thank you for posting this....I think! :(:oxD

Might be back when my blood pressure has lowered!!! :(

Edited by sunnyday

I see in the paper today that apparently advice has been given to nurseries, childminders and schools about removing soft toys from settings - here's a link to the online article.

I just wondered if anyone has been given advice not to let children share crayons or to remove soft toys from group settings? The article doesn't give any links to the agencies who have given this advice (chiefly the Department of Health, I think), but I certainly haven't received any advice like this.

Maz

I saw that too and there is a similar article in the Guardian. I've tried to find chapter and verse from the Department and it refers you to Teachernet but I can't find any specific reference on there.