Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu Shutting Nursery

I wonder if anyone has revised their policies with regard to Swine Flu?

I would think it would be a difficult task given the 'confusion' that's been discussed in the forum. However, maybe an agreed policy and procedure, which will be relevant to each indicidual setting would in some ways be a pro-active approach rather than 'waiting' for it to happen in your setting and then search out 'what to do now'.

Parents could be involved in the policy forming process (so they better understand ALL the considerations and not just the one's relevant to their child) and they will then all be informed what to expect in the event of an outbreak in the setting.

The policy could cover current hygiene routines, especially with regard to hand washing, passing of airborne germs etc.

Fees in the event of parents choosing to exclude their child.

Which government agancy the setting will refer to for advice / guidnace / direction on whether to close or not.

Confidentiality issues

staff pay / loss of income if closure.

How the setting plans to maintain 'normal' services in current climate and/or if the 'pandemic' gets worse.

Help line numbers / info

Involvement of Ofsted, LEA etc.

Peggy

Yes, me too. I have plenty to do over the summer without adding more - although I'm not dismissing the idea out of hand totally! I'll copy your comments into a word document, Peggy, if that's ok, for discussion at a staff meeting when we go back.

There are several Government guidance documents on Teachernet for LA's , schools and early years providers which are very helpful and worth spending a few minutes reading. They would certainly help with a Policy.

Full Guidance

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=13532

and

Summary for Early Years Providers

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=13525

Yes, me too. I have plenty to do over the summer without adding more - although I'm not dismissing the idea out of hand totally! I'll copy your comments into a word document, Peggy, if that's ok, for discussion at a staff meeting when we go back.

Of course it's ok, just a few first thoughts. And quite right that it will definately be a policy that will need constant reviewing as the 'outbreak' progresses or declines (hopefully the latter :o )

Peggy