Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu

sunnyday

Hi all

I have known about this since Friday - but had decided not to post about it........but now feel in need of some kind words from my forum friends.......

A member of staff has tested 'positive' for Swine Flu, she is absolutely fine and recovering at home.

As luck would have it she was last at work on Friday 26th June, began to feel ill on the evening of Sunday 28th, 'swabbed' on Monday 29th and confirmed positive on Friday 3rd July.

I have been in constant contact with the HPA and their advice has been to 'carry on as normal', they emailed a letter and information sheets to me for distribution to parents.

Two parents have reacted very strongly and withdrawn their children.

I have every sympathy and quite understand their concerns, but one father was, I thought extremely rude and made me feel as though I have done something wrong - luckily his 'outburst' was witnessed by three other parents who were really shocked at the way he spoke to me and this was quite reassuring.

So am I the only affected pre-school - is there anyone else 'out there' going through the same thing?

Sunnyday

Oh Sunnyday, what a blow! You have of course done everything the HPA had asked of you and if a few parents take it badly then really I don't see what else you could have done. Apparently we are in a high swine flu outbreak but so far no group that I'm aware of has had any cases.

Hope your staff member is soon fit and back at work - and what your parents sort out their concerns. Do you think they've gone for good or can you expect them back at some point?

Chin up - you're clearly doing a fab job!

Maz

We have a child confirmed with it last Wednesday.We have had mixed reactions from parents and on Friday we had 21 out of 30 children in our class. I'm chilled about it and trying to pass that feeling onto parents. The day it broke and parents through out school received a letter the main news headline was 100,000 cases a day by August so that made one case feel very small.

The child was ill on the Friday and tested positive last Wednesday. We were told 1-2 days incubation so to late to prevent spread by the time the results come back. I do worry about my daughter who is a bad asthmatic and I'm just about to ring our elderly parent to say I'll just keep my distance for a week.( i wouldn't have rung them as they'll worry but its in the local paper)

I think the Autumn term will see the worst of it.

its so annoying when parents fly off the handle over something that was not your fault "how dare your staff catch swine flu!!!" (joking!)

I wonder if it wouldnt be better if we all caught swine flu and let our immune system get on and do its job, they(the media) talk that there will be a stronger strain in october time so surely we would be better to catch the mild strain now and build up some resistance but Im not a doctor so what would I know?!?!?

you have followed the recommended advice I cannt see that you've done anything wrong I think that dad just over reacted but who knows what other stuff might be going on in his life news of swine flu could be "the straw that broke the camels back" if you know what I mean.

Edited by Alison

Thanks Maz and Biccy

Would you believe it......have just checked my answerphone and there is a message from the mother of the child whose father was rude today ....asking if she can come in on Wednesday.........she said "we don't want her missing days we have paid for".

I rang her but she's not there .... have left her a message saying that I want to speak to her first about her husbands reaction and that if they are worried about fees I will happily refund!

Good for you!! Hope she asks him what on earth he said to you!! It's so unnecessary to be rude to people like that, there's no excuse for it - even if he is having a rough day. Does that mean he flies off the handle at his children if he's having a hard day too if his fuse is that short!?!

Chin up sunnyday. Even if you're alone at the moment, you certainly won't be for long. I wonder how the father would have reacted if his child had been the one with the swine flu and he'd brought her into nursery before they knew ... bet he wouldn't have reacted the same! There's really nothing more you can do.

I must say I agree with Alison - when I was little we used to have chickenpox parties etc. Whenever a child was ill the rest of the kids in the social circle would go round to play. Our mums thought it better to get over things like mumps and chickenpox when we were young. I'm sure social services would be called now if that was suggested, but we all grew up to be strong and healthy, and I had just about everything going when I was little.

Thanks Cait and Alison

Have now spoken to the mother....she said "oh I would hate to think you have been upset by anything he said, he just heard swine flu and just wanted to leave" ....

......... but took a few minutes to make you feel like navel lint for the rest of the day!

Hi Sunnyday - sorry to hear you are having a difficult time of it at the moment. As swine 'flu sweeps its way through the country I suspect we will all be in the same position as you at some point between now and Christmas. Don't let this man's outburst get to you. You have done all that you could in the given circumstances. Hope everyone else at pre-school is o.k. and that your member of staff recovers quickly.

I wonder if it wouldnt be better if we all caught swine flu and let our immune system get on and do its job, they(the media) talk that there will be a stronger strain in october time so surely we would be better to catch the mild strain now and build up some resistance but Im not a doctor so what would I know?!?!?

There was a discussion about this on Today on Radio 4 last week, Alison. Apparently there's an online forum called mumsnet and they've been advocating 'swine flu' parties for some time apparently. There was a debate during which Dr Richard Jarvis said this was a bad idea. I've done a bit of digging and found this article online giving his reasons.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

I have emailed my Development Officer and my EYAT to ask if I need to inform Ofsted.........I have had 'read receipt' messages from them but no replies......guess they don't know either!!!

Think I will though - just to 'cover my back'.

What a great way to end the school year - not!!!

Edited by sunnyday

There's no doubt that a parent under pressure can react in ways that surprise us all, especially when you're under pressure yourself but doing the best you can in a difficult situation. Let's hope he can be big enough to apologise for upsetting you, sunnyday.

Maz

There was a discussion about this on Today on Radio 4 last week, Alison. Apparently there's an online forum called mumsnet and they've been advocating 'swine flu' parties for some time apparently. There was a debate during which Dr Richard Jarvis said this was a bad idea. I've done a bit of digging and found this article online giving his reasons.

Maz

Thanks for that link Maz - have read the article - very interesting.

There's no doubt that a parent under pressure can react in ways that surprise us all, especially when you're under pressure yourself but doing the best you can in a difficult situation. Let's hope he can be big enough to apologise for upsetting you, sunnyday.

Maz

I would imagine his wife is going to give him a really hard time......hope so! :o

sorry to hear you have been given a hard time Sunnyday - I think as someone else said I think we will all indeed be in the self same situation before long. We recently had an outbreak at a secondary school which some older siblings attend and I am amazed none of our children got it then! I think some Parents just react on the spur of the moment and i hope he regretted upsetting you after and will apologise when you see him next! :o

I have been off dchool today as our link Junior school has a teacher with Swine flu and with my pregnancy we thought it best to check with my GP before going into work as the infected teacher had been down to our school in the past week or so and children from her class. My GP hs assured me there is minimal risk to the babies and is happy for me to return to work tomorrow.

I think people are just worried about how it will affect them and all the media hype doesn't help.

Hope that things are on the up Sunnyday.

A child in my daughter's class was diagnosed by his GP with swine flu last week but the school have not told the parents. The head decided not to because he has not been tested.

I wonder if that will be a general policy now that most cases are not being tested.

I have to confess to being a little surprised and disappointed that we were not informed so we could be on the look out for symptoms.

A child in my daughter's class was diagnosed by his GP with swine flu last week but the school have not told the parents. The head decided not to because he has not been tested.

I wonder if that will be a general policy now that most cases are not being tested.

I have to confess to being a little surprised and disappointed that we were not informed so we could be on the look out for symptoms.

Oh that's not good is it.

The HPA supplied me with letters for parents.......oh think I already said that!

Sunnyday

We were told today that one of our children is off with swine flu!

A member of staff who had been feeling poorly rang her GP, described symptons and was told she had it too!!!!!!!!!!

Our Head sending out letter tomorrow........ someone from county was emailing it and it didn't get to him in time to go out today!!

O joy!!

had a confirmed case at my childs school also - but no letter of confirmation!!!!! :o

I was sure there would be some guidance for schools about this but I can't find any.

I think parents should be told so that they can limit contact with vulnerable family and friends.

I felt as though we as parents were not thought to be sensible enough to be trusted with the information and act appropriately.

I know Sunnyday's experience gives credence to that view but surely more parents would be angry about being kept in the dark.

I was sure there would be some guidance for schools about this but I can't find any.

I think parents should be told so that they can limit contact with vulnerable family and friends.

I felt as though we as parents were not thought to be sensible enough to be trusted with the information and act appropriately.

I know Sunnyday's experience gives credence to that view but surely more parents would be angry about being kept in the dark.

I would never have considered not informing parents.

Just a quick edit to say....could you contact HPA yourselves?

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Just a quick edit to say....could you contact HPA yourselves?

Sunnyday

I have considered it but the parents have informed each other pretty efficiently anyway and I have done lots of net surfing for advice myself.

It just doesn't help me feel confident that the school will tell me when there is something I need to know. It is an indicator of a high handed approach that does not sit right with me.

OK. Moan over. Back to my assignment. Yuk!

Oh, Sunnyday, I am so sorry to hear about the situation and I hope the man enters in reason and apologises with you. You have done everything okay, so keep up your good work!

Thanks for that - you are very kind.