Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glass (jam) Jars

Hi all,

I planned to make beach scenes with my children and was going to put out a note to all parents for child to bring in own jar. But my staff looked horrified when I mentioned it to them as its glass. I see no problem with it as aren't we supposed to teach them about safety and use 'real' things?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks

ppp

Hi ppp,

I think you will get lots of differing advice on this one!

I have to say I probably wouldn't use glass jars - but that could just be me being too cautious!!!

Not sure what you are planning to do - could you use plastic bottles or similar instead?

Waiting to get 'shot down in flames' :o

Sunnyday

A risk assessment for a jam jar?

*gets the towel to throw in*

Hey - I was thinking it would be ammunition for you to use against the people who are criticising you? Do you have real glass in your windows too? ooooooooooooh!

Real glass in our windows???? Oh yesss!!!!!!! Victorian glass as well!! How dangerous!!

I like ammunition......

Surely if you are sensible about them and explain to the children the safety measures they need to bear in mind it will be ok.

Honestly, when Sunnyday and I were little we got bottles of pop from the corner shop that were glass and danced home with them in our hands!!

I say yes to glass. We have little glass jars and pots in the home corner and I use them in treausre baskets too, they make a much more satisfying sound when things are dropped into them. I also agree that children should be given the responsibility to handle a range of materials - just look at how carefully a young child will handle a delicate insect, they just need to be taught that certain things we treat carefully.

Surely if you are sensible about them and explain to the children the safety measures they need to bear in mind it will be ok.

Honestly, when Sunnyday and I were little we got bottles of pop from the corner shop that were glass and danced home with them in our hands!!

Ah those were the days!

Go for it ppp - throw caution to the wind!!!

Go for it ppp - throw caution to the wind!!!

Well I wouldn't say throw caution to the wind exactly - but I would say wholeheartedly go for glass jam jars, do an activity plan that is explict about how the jars are to be handled and how the adult will reinforce safety practices and what will happen if a jar gets broken. Then you have your piece of paper to wave at anyone who queries the wisdom of offering your children this experience of a real material as opposed to a plastic one. :o

Enjoy!

Maz

I say yes to glass. We have little glass jars and pots in the home corner and I use them in treausre baskets too, they make a much more satisfying sound when things are dropped into them.

...Just not when they are dropped...

Jam jars and coffee jars tend to be very thick glass and dont break when I drop them on my kitchen floor or even when I throw them into the recycling box outside my back door.

I'd say go for the glass too if you want.

Or, you could use small garden trays, the children in the village make 'garden' scenes for the annual flower show in these and you can get lovely effects as you can use all sorts of interesting materials.

Montessori have glasses to drink from at snack all the time ....my friend said in her setting the only glass ever been broken is by the staff when washing up!

children need to learn about risks........ have a activity plan with risks included and go for it!!

xxx

I would say go for it, we have a baby belling type oven cooker which the children nuse for cooking, I agree that the jars are unlikely to break very easily and yes the children need to learn to handle different materials

We use glass jars all the time. We have a risk assessment in place that shows that the likelyhood of a jar breaking is small, the likely seriousness of an injury is low, so the risk factor is low.

After all how often is a glass jar broken? What is the most likely outcome? A cut finger? That heals!

Gruffalo2 :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)