About Us
Tapestry

Getting Paid For Paperwork?...

Do you get paid for paperwork time?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. (any extra time away from being in the "class room" to do paperwork

• Yes
    • No

Am trying to find out how other settinf manage paperwork time. In the past we have sat out for 5 mins here and there to do paperwork but due to many more children this isn't possible. No staff want to do paperwork (mostly keyworker/planning paperwork) in their own time, but committee seem reluctant to pay for our time! My suggestion is only 2 hours a month each so not asking much!

Do you get time allocated for you to sit out and do paperwork? or get paid an extra hour or so??

Many thanks

I get paid 2 hours extra per week to do paperwork........learning journey folders and putting obs into children's files. I have 11 key children and also get paid for writing their termly reports and end of year reports, usually 1 hour per child/report.

We should not expect people to do any work at home without getting paid........in my humble opinion! :o

I did join the poll, I went for 'no' although this is not strictly true - I can mangage the 'odd' hour now and then, but only about 1 hour a term which is nowhere near enough as all staff have a lot of keychildren. We were promised regular extra time but somehow that's not been very forthcoming.

xx

we paid all staff 1 hour a week for paperwork and manager 6 hours a week (or 1 day) which was done at home as no facilities on site..

and we paid them in their wages, telling them it would be deducted if not done.. funny how the thought of losing 1 hour pay a week is so different to claiming it..

Inge

Edited by Inge

I answered yes to this and now am thinking maybe no!!

If you take into account how long it takes to set up and put away (church hall) we actually aren't paid for paperwork.

children are actually with us 10 hours a week we get paid for 17 hours but just with set up clear up it takes us 16 hours, a weekly planning/polices/progrss mtg takes another 2 hours and then the children's folders are extra on that which is all done at home in our own time.

Think I should've answered no!

Am trying to find out how other settinf manage paperwork time. In the past we have sat out for 5 mins here and there to do paperwork but due to many more children this isn't possible. No staff want to do paperwork (mostly keyworker/planning paperwork) in their own time, but committee seem reluctant to pay for our time! My suggestion is only 2 hours a month each so not asking much!

Do you get time allocated for you to sit out and do paperwork? or get paid an extra hour or so??

Many thanks

Blimey darlinbud - have just re-read your post - that's awful - of course they should pay that - 2 hours per month - they should be so lucky :o

Sunnyday

I dont get paid for the following:

keyworker files

planning meetings

staff meetings

running the website

compiling registers

setting up new files for key children

key children meetings

general admin (my responsibiity)

staying behind to clean up

I should say none of the staff do. I spent a good day on my 9 key children files, scrapbooks, planning etc during the hols. I am being told by my family to stop doing it as the committee are now taking advantage of us doing all this and while we keep doing it they wont pay us. Its a very difficult situation. After all is it our fault or the committee that we are in such financial difficulty. We are not volunteers but workers. They have said they will pay us once the money is back up to a certain level, but can we be sure of that? Why do they have a waiting list of children, we are able to take at least 5 more per day, yet will not take on more as they would have to pay for another staff (which would be me and job share).

What would OFSTED say if they came in? Would we be justified in our stand for not doing it? Would we have parental support for not doing it? Some are aware that we do so much in our own time and think it disgraceful. I would love to say that im not doing it anymore but woud feel awful. I think for us its worse as we have already have had our hours cut twice, are still expected to do the same so now we are feeling very used. It looks like we all do it but what would happen if we all stopped???

Went to look around another setting yesterday (for me to be bank staff). What a difference! The chair (man who was so supportive) was there as parent help, thay had everything in place, were full, started afternoon sessions, 40 kids in the morning, 7 staff, he told me £64K turn around last year, fantastic equipment, parents etc...it was a different world!! I want to work there!

Sorry seemed to have turned this into a moan but it is an area I feel very strongly about at the moment. If honest Im struggling with all this, work at saisnburys, working for DPP and family life in general. :o

Blimey darlinbud - have just re-read your post - that's awful - of course they should pay that - 2 hours per month - they should be so lucky :o

Sunnyday

Lol thats what I told them!! xD Have been told today that myself, chair and treasurer will have a meeting next week to discuss! so thank you for your replies, all very useful. xx

We get paid 3.5 hours a term extra for observations/learning journeys . Staff are also paid setup/pack away/cleaning time 1hour for 2 staff and 1/2 hour for staff who start later. Staff meetings are paid for but not committee meetings and we all receive minimum wage for training so not bad really compared to many.

We all do work at home as setting has no quiet space to work in even if we had time. All staff give freely of their time to sort out sheds/ garden etc and are an asset to our setting. I, as senior supervisor, also get an extra hour a week for some admin but we all do lots of this in our own time - NEG stuff/registers/sorting out new children/ printing/updating forms, brochures etc.

Our setting is well funded and we are very lucky as rent is low and occupancy high. We also have children for nearly two years so income is good,.

Of course we are paid at ridiculously low rates compared to hours we put in but fortunately we do it 'cos we love it and are lucky enough to not need big incomes.

It is very unfair that some settings struggle to pay even minmum wage and there is a strong case for core funding paid to settings so that staff can have a wage that they can live on.

korkycat

My staff are paid £1.00 for each key child they are responsible per week. They are also paid to attend staff meetings, inset days, training courses, in house workshops. If they stay a substantial amount of time over their contract hours i always encourage them to put this down on their time sheets.

Guest MaryEMac

All 5 staff get paid for 2 hours a week to plan and do learning journals but we still do a lot of work at home. I also get paid for 3 hours in the holidays for preparing registers, updating contact numbers etc. It usually takes about 10.

Mary