Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can I Have A Moan?

Ok, so I've been to the doctors this morning and I'm signed off work for this week. following being off last week self certified.

I've had a really nasty chest infection and it's just taking it's time and I've now got some steriods to do something with the bronchial area that I can't quite remember what the doc said now.

I text the head and deputy on Saturday to say I doubted that I'd make it in this week but that I would be going to the docs on Monday morning and got no reply. I couldn't bring myself to ring as I'd worked myself up into a mess and was in tears so I thought a text was better than me blubbing and coughing down the phone.

Ofsted are in work this week on Wednesday and Thursday. I feel so bad that I'm not there. I'm full of guilt, like I'm letting the school down, letting my friends down. I'd much rather be well enough to be there and show Ofsted what I can do than be sat here feeling rough, not sleeping properly and unable to say more than a sentence without coughing.

I phoned up this morning to let them know I have my sick note and I'll send it in or give it to someone to hand in.

Next thing the phone is ringing and it is school demanding my planning file and asking how upto date it is. I said it was on the shelf in my cupboard in class but that I knew that a couple of bits were not there as I'd taken them out as they needed changing but I couldn't remember which ones they were.

E the secretary was less than nice to me in her tone and said she would pass on that message to the head.

I'm now hanging on waiting for them to phone me back which I assume they will do, when all I really want to do is sleep as I only got about 4 hours last night.

I know that it's a really crappy time for me to be off but I'm sorry, I can't help being ill.

Sorry for the moan but I just needed to get it all down, get it off my infected coughing chest and I thought here was a safe place to do so.

Nich

xx

Hi Nichola

Hope you feel a bit better having a moan :o we all need to do so from time to time.

I am sure that you would far rather be well and at school as opposed to being stuck at home feeling awful, as you say, you cannot help being ill!

Sorry 'the school' are being so inconsiderate :( My guess is that they hold you in such high regard they are now in a tizz as to how they will cope with OFSTED without your valuable input xD

Hope the medication works and you feel better sooon :(:(

Yep - the phrase 'headless chickens' comes to mind! It's not very professional of them to take it out on you, and I'd like to think that the Head is professional enough to understand your position - even if the secretary isn't! Our school secretary (Stalin in Stockings) used to think she ran the whole place I think and would let NOTHING and NO-ONE past her! It's a power trip I think. Sad people

wishing you well Nichola.

Sometimes it is necessary to think about ourselves and our health. The only advice i can offer is to try to relax and get better. Getting yourself worked up will no doubt prolong your illness.

You are right you cannot help being ill, and your friends at school know you well enough that they know you would rather be there with the children and showing off your talents with the children! :o

virtual hugs. get better soon

lucie xx

Nic,

Don't feel bad - you didn't get ill on purpose. The staff at the school are understandably stressed. I wouldn't take it to heart or read something into someone's tone that may not be there. She perhaps just had a whole list of things to do and was already thinking about the next thing when she was finishing up with your conversation, making her appear more curt. Put it out of your head, take the phone off the hook and go and sleep otherwise you'll never get better! And stop worrying!!! :o

best place is at home.. remember that when they are hassling you and panicking.

the worst thing you could do is go anywhere you could pick up a secondary infection , it is easy to do that when on steroids as they reduce the immune system, while being good at the job they do it does make t easy to pick up another infection.

Personally I would suggest you turn off the phone and get the rest you need.. they will cope.. not your fault you are ill... with rest and medication you will recover so much faster and be able to return to work... just be ready to go back to Dr if not fully recovered, better to recover fully than return too early and end up being off even longer..

and I know you have had lots of time off for one reason or another, they coped then and will now.

Now back to bed :o

Inge

Nichola - all good wishes for a speedy recovery.

I can imagine how you feel, but I'm sure if it were one of your colleagues that was so poorly you wouldn't want them to feel guilty.

As others have said forget about school, Ofsted and your 'stroppy secretary' and concentrate on getting better!

Take care

Sunnyday

Thanks all. I can't sleep, I'm on another coughing fit! I'm hoping that now it's after school time I wont get another phonecall now and that they were satisfied with my answer. She's always rude to people so I'm sure it was intended.

None of the teaching or TA staff are worried about Ofsted coming, only the management and office staff! We teachers and TAs have nothing to hide. We were outstanding last time and we'd like to be outstanding again!

I shall maybe just ignore the house phone and not answer my mobile (I can see who is ringing on my mobile but not my housephone) it rings tomorrow or any other day this week.

good plan nichola. I have been off work since Jan this year, (due to ME) have tried going back part time but ended up relapsing. even though most of the people at work have been really supportive, i still find it hard to turn off my guilt etc! i know it's not ideal for the school but they will manage. Have a good rest this week, try not to fight the illness and get well in your own time xxx

Guest MaryEMac

Nothing more to add Nichola, just wanted to send my best wishes and hope that you feel better soon. Take care,

Mary

Well you know what I think Nichola - take it easy and try not to see it as letting anyone down. You didn't choose this precise moment to be ill and its not exactly a minor sniffle is it?

Hope you get some quality sleep soon - that won't be helping, I'm sure!

Mx

I agree - concentrate on getting yourself better. I'm sure a few pieces missing from your planning isn't going to have any great effect on the visit from Ofsted. Sounds like management are getting in a bit of a tizz and taking it out on you. Just relax, recuperate and recharge!

Well 5.15 I had the call. I answered the phone as I thought it might have been my mum at that time. No joy it was E again!

She needed 4 documents from me and luckily I had them all done 2 weeks ago so just stuck them in an email.

The lack of sleep thing is really getting to me but I guess it's good training for when I have kids!

Management are in a total tizz. My friend my TA has just said the supply teacher they had in today wont be back in tomorrow!

Nichola, you know they are not supposed to hassle you at home. You have a certificate, get that to them pront. Can Joe pop it through someone's door tonight?

Contact your union if you need support. You have not done this n purpose and you cant help being ill however inconvenient it is and its better to be ill and off than ill and struggling on, that gets no recgnition.

Take care.

Nichola I totally agree with Susan- if you are ill at home then school should NOT contact you, especially for work. You need to unplug the phone (or leave it on answer phone if you must) Get yourselff better. School goes on no matter what, no matter how guilty we all feel when we are not there... there is nothing you or they can do so take heed of your colleagues out here on the forum, we know best. You are the most important person, not OFSTED and certainly not that blooming secretary!

Hi Nichola,

Having been through exactly the same thing I really would suggest that you try to ignore the phone as much as possible. I spent our OFSTED being sick at school (which started on the first morning and was eventually allowed to go home at 2pm on first day). There then followed the most awful time with phone calls and can you just bring in ......... Unfortunately I had been so ill that I had brought home all my planning , tracking etc and had no idea it was here.

So my advice is try to rest and get some sleep if possible. Make the most of the cough free time to sleep and help your body to recover so maybe you can go back next week.

take care and sending you a virtual hug

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Nichola

Take the time you need to recover and try not to feel guilty.

Try and rest sa much as you can even if you can't sleep.... take it easy.

Hope that coughing subsides a bit so you can sleep.

Take care

L

Take care of yourself Nichola and get better. I know we all go into panic mode at the mention of OFSTED, and it is natural to feel bad about not being there because you care about your school, children and colleagues, but it isn't your fault. I'm sure your HT would also be very upset if you passed your cough to everyone else and the place was full of supply staff! OFSTED are in for two days, they pass, it isn't the end of the world, and these days they spend more time talking and testing the SEF rather than observing teaching.

Nichola, why are you reading this? You should be SLEEPING.

You've done you bit by sending the email, so no guilt trip OK.

If you are till having trouble sleeping over the next 48 hrs, get back to your doctor and ask for some help for sleep.

Take care, make sure you are completely better before returning.

Hey, take care and maybe you will be better by the term break and enjoy a 'fit' holiday, unlike most teachers who always tend to get ill in the holidays. :oxD

My hubby has had a nagging, tickly, won't shift cough for months now (I think it is possibly bronchitis), he won't see the doctor (men :(:( ) He keeps me awake most of the night, so I know what sleep deprivation feels like.

Could inhaling 'steam' or some other inhalent help?

Peggy

Rub some VICK on the soles of your feet and put socks on - that will help your cough - no-one knows why, but it does. (apparently if you rub garlic into the soles of your feet you can 'taste' it after half an hour - it's the same principle)

If only I could get to sleep! I have a husband snoring away next to me now. I've always been bad at getting to sleep so this has just got me into a bad routine. I imagine I'll get to sleep about 1am, wake up when Joe gets up for work at 6.30 and hopefully manage to get back to sleep till about 9.30 if I'm not woken by anything.

Thanks to everyone. I shall keep you posted.

Well a bit of an update. I'm feeling brighter. I'm not coughing as much and when I do cough it's only a little cough and not a 1-2 minute episode.

I had no more phone calls from school except from my friends letting me know the updates.

My TA took the lead on Wednesday as the supply TA was crapola and lo and behold in popped Mr Ofsted inspector. Apparently the session went really well and the kids were great.

Today I've just had a text to say Mr Ofsted he say 'Outstanding' in all areas for the 2nd time running.