Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Britain's Got Talent

SmileyPR

I thought the right act won, although we loved Aiden and Stavros too. :) Didn't want the little girl to win, as lovely as she was, I think she was there because of a 'pushy' parent, poor thing. Glad Susan didn't win, coming 2nd was probably the best thing for her - she is very talented but she needs to be left alone for a bit, too much pressure - is it just me or did she come across as a crazy cat lady? lol

Fantastic Final tho - loved every minute!! :)

I thought the right act won, although we loved Aiden and Stavros too. :) Didn't want the little girl to win, as lovely as she was, I think she was there because of a 'pushy' parent, poor thing. Glad Susan didn't win, coming 2nd was probably the best thing for her - she is very talented but she needs to be left alone for a bit, too much pressure - is it just me or did she come across as a crazy cat lady? lol

Fantastic Final tho - loved every minute!! :)

I agree with you about Susan, she does have an incredible voice but each interview she gave she was coming across more and more crazy!

I don't know... I view it differently. See the judges comments about her as a person. None of them think she is crazy. Well, I am sure none of you have meant that... only that things have gone crazy around her :o

In an official statement a Talkback Thames spokesperson said: “Following Saturday night's show, Susan is exhausted and emotionally drained. She has been seen by her private GP who supports her decision to take a few days out for rest and recovery. We offer her our ongoing support and wish her a speedy recovery.”

Wishing Susan a speedy recovery

BGT judge Piers Morgan told GMTV: "Nobody has had to put up with the kind of attention Susan has had. Nobody could have predicted it. "It has been crazy, she has gone from anonymity to being the most downloaded woman in history." Piers insisted that Susan was, "essentially fine". "She was very tired and hasn't been sleeping. She has just gone away to have some time to herself and to sleep and eat, doing all the things she hasn't been able to do in the last week."

It is a pity how the media manipulate information and how cruel they can be (e.g. The Sunday Mirror). She is at the clinic to rest and recover. Keep in mind she had a cold the previous week and add to that the paparazzi who just wanted to ridiculise her. These ridiculous news media just think about numbers and not about people. A TV commentator said she was mumbling to herself when the final winner was to be announced, but if people can lip read... they will see she said "Diversity". She knew they would win and she humbly accepted it. That is Susan :-) Even the boys were praising her saying that she shared with them backstage after the results, that she was happy and that she even danced with them. I have tried to find that article, but I don't find it anymore. Sorry. Anyway, I wish her a speedy recovery and I look forward to buy her CD.

Edited by SmileyPR

Personally I think it is shocking that the media can portray people in this way and get away with it. People with a learning disability of any kind deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, and certainly not to be portrayed as some kind of specimen to be ridiculed for our general entertainment.

I thought human side shows were a thing of the past, but it seems to me that they are alive and well and being beamed into our own front rooms. I think any one of us who has had such a meteoric rise into the public's attention would find life pretty bewildering and the press intrusion very difficult to take. It seems to me that Susan Boyle is having more problems than most and I do hope the TV production company is looking after her and is making sure she gets the care and attention she needs.

I haven't watched most of the programmes but like many others I saw her audition on YouTube and it brought tears to my eyes - not least because of the way the audience and judges alike were smirking at each other when she walked out on stage, only to be awestruck and humbled when her voice rang out. I was also very upset watching one of the live semi-finals when the little girl sobbed because she hadn't been saved by the judges and I gather there was another little girl who cracked under the strain during her live semi-final and had to be given another chance to sing. I agree that children need to learn about competition and that we don't always get what we want, but I do question whether this kind of process is suitable for very young children.

I hope all these issues will be taken into account when ITV decide whether to make another series - but I heard on the radio this morning that 18.5 million people watched the live final, so I assume they will be back next year. Hopefully they will at least think about the effect a programme like this can affect the lives of those who take part.

It has certainly made me seriously think about my own responsibilities as a viewer - and in the week when Big Brother is launched, I feel quite uncomfortable that programmes that have the potential to exploit people's frailties for our entertainment are being made in my name.

For the young people in Diversity it was a wonderful result and they have clearly worked hard to develop and hone their skills. They will be there to support each other and to share in the celebrations, and none of this takes anything away from their achievement.

Sorry for the rant and I hope I haven't offended anyone, and I don't mean to lecture anyone at all about their viewing habits. Its just that (as a huge Big Brother fan) it has really made me question my own motives for watching programmes such as these and the entire rationale for making them.

Maz

Oh, Maz! I did not know this program was a reality show... Bommer... I suppose it is difficult to follow all the news if you live out of the country. I mean, being there you will see and hear everything via TV, radio and newspapers. Pity it is done like that because it should be done to really give a chance to people to achieve their dreams. If I am not wrong, the invitation for next year has already been announced (in their web site).

I feel pity for Hollie, because she does sing good... but I think her mum puts too much pressure on her. If they continue with this kind of program, they should consider doing a junior version and one for adults... like the Eurovision Contest. Or even 3 versions... one for children under 12, one for teenagers and one for adults.

I'm afraid I'm not a viewer of any of the reality tv shows, BB, I'm a Celeb, dancing, or the 'talent' competitions - they just don't 'float my boat'. Some of my antipathy for them is the intensely annoying long pauses before winners are announced - you can practically go to the loo before winners are announced! What's that about????????

I've seen the odd bits here and there when I've changed channels but it just doesn't interest me - mind you I don't go for any of the soaps either so maybe I'm just odd - or is there anyone else who feels the same?

I'm with you Cait. I hate seeing people being conned into exposing themselves to ridicule for a vague chance of fame and fortune.

I do worry that my daughter is missing out on the school bus conversations which totally revolve around these programmes. She does struggle socially anyway so I want to support her. I think I'm going to have to grit my teeth and bear it!

Yes I can remember watching Emmerdale Farm (when it was called that) because (my claim to fame) 'Annie Sugden' came to our salon for her hair doing!

How out of touch am I? What's Emmerdale Farm called now? I didn't know it had changed!

Oh yeah. Thought it had changed totally and I had missed it. That would probably have been something to be proud of. Anyway, who has time for television when there is a forum to be searched?

We had four months without one last year and I loved it! Hubby and kids were so traumatised that a neighbour offered us an old one of theirs. I was gutted.

I'm afraid I'm not a viewer of any of the reality tv shows, BB, I'm a Celeb, dancing, or the 'talent' competitions - they just don't 'float my boat'. Some of my antipathy for them is the intensely annoying long pauses before winners are announced - you can practically go to the loo before winners are announced! What's that about????????

I've seen the odd bits here and there when I've changed channels but it just doesn't interest me - mind you I don't go for any of the soaps either so maybe I'm just odd - or is there anyone else who feels the same?

I'm with you on this one - think that's why I do my job......whilst others are watching TV I'm doing the unpaid paperwork!

Oh and spending time on here!!!!! is this reality cyberworld though? :oxD:(:(

is this reality cyberworld though? :(:(:( :wacko:

Imagine if they filmed us though! :o actually that's an idea for another thread: "if they made a film of the FSF who would you want to play you?" xD

Maz

Oh Sunnyday you beat me to it!

Do I have to think of someone else now?

You most certainly do!!!

But how weird was that?! :o

Sunnyday

P.S. Hey i did it - added a thingywhatsit and in the right place - oh there will be no stopping me now!!!!!

Edited by sunnyday

well congratulations! you only had to ask and I'd have helped!

er, Victoria Wood could play me then, if Julie Walters is in it - especially if she's playing Sunnyday!

I think MrsWeasley might have prior claim to Julie Walters though! :(

MrsWeasley informs me that she isn't actually MrsWeasley in real life, so you can have her Sunnyday! xD

Perhaps this is more fun if we decided who should play other members other than ourselves... :o

The Maz

Phew - thought I was going to have to throw a major strop there ( the idea that Mrs Weasley had aprior claim on J.W.)

Alison - I am deeply impressed - we have both come on in leaps and bounds this evening! :(

What shall we try next?

And no Cait - before you say it - I am not up to speed yet with the jolly link business - despite your kind efforts to help me!!!

xD:(:(:o Showing off now!!!

Sunnyday