Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Voluntary Committees

Some members of our committee did go on a training course (possibly PSLA one) a while back and I had high hopes as it was the first time any ever had but it seems to have done little to help.

For a start they didnt all have to go and those that did only had to attend one of the sessions..each taking turns so each got a little bit of what was needed.

Thats like me, my deputy and assistant each taking one 4 hours or a twelve hour first aid course and then calling us all qualified to deal with an emergency! :o

The idea was that each had to cascade what had been covered in their session to the rest...but that never happened! I was handed the paper work that suggested what should happen and when during a preschool year (policy reviews, staff appraisals etc) and the rest was buried in the chairs file!

My PSLA PDW has met with my committees a few times and gone through their job description and given them training - the basics was that they were in charge, they must rule and not let staff manage they must do it all.

The results - one committee ran for the hills and one thought she was mad and we carried on as normal (thankfully no power mad one recently - lots of useless!)

I have never let her near them again and just let her rant at me a lot about not running correctly as I do so much :o

Sorry it must be a really nice place in PSLA world as everything is rosy and beautiful - xD

Hi All,

I think all settings running with charitable status are feeling the same.

The management at the setting i work for have looked into becomming a cic (Community Interset Company).

Permisssion would need to be agreed by the charieties trust the parents and the committee.

But it seems that this is the way forward for many settings with positive coutcomes.

Our PSLA officer gave us information on this and we found into on the internet.

May be of interest to some of you....

O40

x

So here's your chance to ask all the questions you want to - this just arrived in my inbox!

Perhaps you should organise an FSF delegation? Wave your ballot papers in your hands and demand to be listened to!

Maz

Hi Happymaz,

We introduced the cic at a committee meeting, asked the committee to look at info and pushed the benifits of a cic...

must say it is still being looked into but nothing has been decided.... you need to be prepared for lots of questions too, so need to do your homework.x

Problem is this isn't really a PSLA issue. Many years ago when current legislation was bought in, any group i.e Brownies/cricket clubs etc not just playgroups were forced into becoming a business (and all the hassle that entails) or registering as a charity and we all know the rules for tis, unfortunately PSLA dont make the rules, so it's not up to them whether we have comittees. 20 years ago when mine started playgroup, becoming a committee member was a great way of making friends and with 4 small childen i found it a good way to socialize. Unfortunatley times have changed and we now have 3/5 Mums working full time20 years ago it was more like 1 in 10 worked full time and the odd few that I knew worked only did so part time. Nearly all our parents were with us for 2 years and in a lot of cases 4/5 years when siblings started.

Things change over time and this whole committee thing really does need to be addressed, I wonder what would happen if a group really didn't have any committee members at all.

Problem is this isn't really a PSLA issue.

I take your point, but since most of the people on here who are complaining about committees seem to be groups with a PLA constitution so they have a big say in how groups can be wound up in the event that no committee can be found.

As you say it is clearly an area that needs to be addressed - I wonder whether there are statistics about how many of the new settings that register each year are committee led? Not many, I'll bet!

Maz

Guest MaryEMac

Our committee is not the best that we have had, the treasurer is brilliant, the chair sees everything in black and white and wants parents to lose their child's place if they don't pay promptly (we probably have 1 parent a year who gets ionto difficulties) but she isn't interested in why they havn't paid and then make allowances and payment plans. If they don't pay then they are out. She uses the PLA business support worker a lot and we then find that she strays into my area of work as leader. To be fair to her she has tried to include parents on the committee by delegating jobs, like getting quotes for outdoor work. At the meertings they are all saying "yes we can do that", I know someone who will make us one of those", but after the meeting nothing is done and the chair, secretary and treasurer end up doing it themselves with help from the staff. I am sure that some of the parents come to the meetings with their own agenda so that they get what they want for their own child.

Also I pass on any info about committee training but as far as I am aware no-one ever goes. I always get a tad concerned when I know that a lot of the committee officers are leaving when their child leaves especially if I have worries about the parents who are coming up.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)