Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Indigo Child

A parent has told me that she believes that her little boy - aged 4 - is an 'Indigo Child'.

This was a complete unknown to me - so have been looking at various websites - wondered whether any of my 'virtual' friends have come across this and would be willing to share their experiences.

Sunnyday

Had never heard of it so googled it. First impressions - don't shoot me - what a load of rubbish :o

Did she mean it lightheartedly as a way of describing behaviour or was she deadly serious?

I did recognise a child I used to care for in some of the descriptions but those characteristics could equally be due to parenting style and a very bright and enquiring mind.

Maybe I need enlightening but I'm afraid I couldn't go along with that. (and I'm a bit of an old hippy myself)

interesting Ive just read about it on wikipedia and I think its probably wishful thinking on the parents part that their child is more "special" than everyone else's

just acknowledge to the parent that every child is unique, some gifted and talented but all need to be loved and provided with a stimulating environment to achieve their full potential..... I dont know what more you can do?

There's a book explaining it all:-

The Indigo Children: Essential Reading for all parents of unusually bright and active children written by Lee Carroll and Jan Tober published by Hay House Inc, ISBN 1-56170-608-6

Here's the 'look inside' link to Amazon.

Haven't read it all myself - bought it years ago as one of those 'impulse' buys at Hammicks when I was concerned about my son. Now that I've dusted it off I might have a closer look though! :o

Maz

I would just acknowledge that every child is 'special' in their own way and maybe ask her for a more detailed explanation of why she thinks that about her child? Also, reassure the parent that you will support the child's development in any way necessary so as to help the child develop to achieve their full potential.

I hope that helps.... I think this is one of my first real posts.... I hope it's OK!

Sam x

interesting idea.. having read the wikipedia explanations I am not sure what to think

I like the bit that says

"According to Tappe, they are strong-willed, independent thinkers who prefer to be self-guided rather than directed by others. They tend to think outside the box, brilliant and love working with the challenges of mechanics. Computers often are their favorite toys and learning tools. Parents of these children must guide them, not teach them."

a reason for letting children do as they please?

I do know some people see things by colour, someone I knew say all numbers as a colour and did not realise that it was unusual.

and often question if we do have a colour aura around us, as have known a child ask about the colour around me..and why it was different that day! (long time ago now, cannot remember the colour)

many of the further links appear to be broken...

Think I would do as others have said, acknowledge etc.

Inge

reading a bit more there are also suggested links with ADD and autism amongst 'Indigo children'

Indogo and crystal children

indigo children fact or fiction

this implies that 95% of children born over the last 10 years have this trait!

so all the children could be this!

Inge

just had to add this one in...indigo children made me laugh.. love some of the comments , particularly the one after the description "( A bunch of really spoiled brats if you ask me!)" love it!

looks like you may be in for a busy time with this one

they even have their own web site Indigochild.com

found this interesting to follow... may add more if I find it

Edited by Inge

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply - very much appreciated.

This family have been through some absolutely extraordinary experiences of late - I feel very priviledged that they have chosen to tell me about them. I would love to tell you more but I can't - even though you don't know them - I would feel that I was breaking a confidence.

Inge - you are so right - I have a lot of reading to do!

Maz - I will get hold of a copy of the book that you suggested.

For the time being - my reply to parent was - "oh that's very interesting, a subject I know nothing about so I will have to look into it and we can talk some more about it after Easter Holiday".

I am completely open - minded about this (and most things actually) - I will treat her and her ideas with respect just as I would whatever the topic.

Please keep the replies coming - whatever you think - I will be interested to hear your views.

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

don't have time to read the links but if the child is gifted and talented you can note it in your records, we have a oub who is considered G & T but has extremely delyaed emotional developement in comparison to his other abilities, for this he is on my SEN registered to ensure that everyone is aware of his needs.

don't have time to read the links but if the child is gifted and talented you can note it in your records, we have a oub who is considered G & T but has extremely delyaed emotional developement in comparison to his other abilities, for this he is on my SEN registered to ensure that everyone is aware of his needs.

Thanks Wendles - but unfortunately not anywhere near Gifted and Talented.

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

"According to Tappe, they are strong-willed, independent thinkers who prefer to be self-guided rather than directed by others. They tend to think outside the box, brilliant and love working with the challenges of mechanics. Computers often are their favorite toys and learning tools. Parents of these children must guide them, not teach them."

Inge

Thats my 16 year old to an absolute 'T'. (except the mechanics, unless theres money in it)

Interesting stuff :o

Edited by Rea

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would give you the latest news!

Parents have just explained to me that they have taken this idea further and that their son is indeed 'indigo' and of the highest order! And then when he refuses to cooperate with people around him that is because he can 'see' their 'guardian angels' and 'spirit guides' - he is actually pretty good for me - so I must have some pretty nifty people surrounding me - here's hoping. Don't know what that says about his key person though, he certainly does not 'behave nicely' for her - don't think I will enlighten her - think she could be worried/offended - hope he likes the 'people' around his reception teacher as he moves on to Primary this year!

Would like to add I received this 'news' with a straight face and just remarked how very interesting it all was! - and anyway who knows maybe there is something in it!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Would like to add I received this 'news' with a straight face and just remarked how very interesting it all was! - and anyway who knows maybe there is something in it!

Well done for keeping a straight face Sunnyday!!!!!! :oxD

Well done you for being so open minded and positive. I hope the school are able to be as tolerant. I can think of one or two teachers who would feel the need to "put these parents straight".

I think it is lovely for the parents to have a reason to feel that their child is so special. I just hope that they don't burden him with expectations which he cannot fulfill or use it as an excuse for general bad behaviour. It won't do him any favours in the long run.

Please do keep updating us - it's fascinating.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)