Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question For Those Who Have Set Up A New Setting

hali

Hi,

My local authority have said 'i should also advise you that at this time the EYCS expects any new PV setting to be open for a term and working closely with the advisory service development officer before qualifying for nursery ed funding.'

for those of you who have set up a new PV setting have you had this issue? if you have how did you sustain yourselves for the first term without your ed funding? any advise anyone? :o

thanks xxxx xD

Hi,

My local authority have said 'i should also advise you that at this time the EYCS expects any new PV setting to be open for a term and working closely with the advisory service development officer before qualifying for nursery ed funding.'

Well that's certainly not inclusion is it!

Sorry, not helpful at all, I just think that's unfair

Sam

oooohh no Hali havent heard of that one.

We have been up and running nearly 4 years though and so much has changed in that time - oh good grief I sound ancient :o

Hali - I don't think that's right - I'm thinking of a friend who 'set up' last year and I'm sure I remember a conversation prior to her opening when she told me that she had secured her NED - I have emailed her to ask for you - but don't hold your breath - she is the worlds worst at opening her mail - don't want to ring her because she will doubtless be putting her own cherubs to bed about now!

Sunnyday

Hali - me again - I suppose she was 'working closely' with her development officer - it was her who found a building for her and she set up in an area that was 'crying out' for places so I suppose that may have some bearing on the situation.

Sunnyday

im doomed arnt i ..

heres the reply: All parents will have to pay a fee for the childcare you are offering. You will need to inform them that funding for eligible children will start after the local authority's qualifying period. A term is 12 or 13 weeks depending on LA term dates.

There is no sustainability funding available sorry.

:oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure:

im doomed arnt i ..

heres the reply: All parents will have to pay a fee for the childcare you are offering. You will need to inform them that funding for eligible children will start after the local authority's qualifying period. A term is 12 or 13 weeks depending on LA term dates.

There is no sustainability funding available sorry.

:oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure:

That's incredibly unhelpful of them

Sunnyday

We charged parents whilst we fulfilled the local County's criteria - we had to have this time to enable them to audit our provision to make sure our NEG part of the provision was up to standard. It was in the days before Ofsted took over everything!

Well of course they wont pay you Hali, why should they? They will either keep children at home or elsewhere until funding comes through- either way you will be the loser. What on earth is your LA thinking? It hardly makes you competitive does it, hmm wonder where equal ops comes in here?

What on earth is your LA thinking? It hardly makes you competitive does it, hmm wonder where equal ops comes in here?

I had no idea that new settings had to wait for their funding to come through - but I guess it is something to do with the Local Authority having a chance to assess the standard of practice within the new setting, quality of premises etc before allocating funding. Have you asked them for a rationale hali?

Maz

We put £2,000 of our own money up front to pay the hall hire and the staff wages but as soon as the funding came through which was about 12 weks we paid ourselves back. Is it still a definate no no to get funding for the first term - I cant see their rationale for it, if the children are there then and you are supplying the service then why not??

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just wondered what the outcome to this was?

I opened two years (march 2007) ago but i opened mid term so couldnt get any funding till after easter 2007 but i got it. My onlyproblemwas i got noadvanced funding so children were there and staff needed paying months before the funding came through, but it did.

I am concerned about your thread as i am due to open my second setting in september and i will be taking over from someone else and the setting is FULL i am now very concerned that i willnot be able to pay bills if the funding doesnt come through straight away!!!!!

How did you get on??/

Thanks

anxious from havering

Niki x

I am concerned about your thread as i am due to open my second setting in september and i will be taking over from someone else and the setting is FULL i am now very concerned that i willnot be able to pay bills if the funding doesnt come through straight away!!!!!

Well it depends on the LA but when I took over my nursery there was no problem with continuity of funding - the provision is already up and running and has a track record so there is no issue about quality etc.

If you're really worried perhaps you should check out the situation so at least you know what to expect? But I don't see how they can withdraw children's funding without a very good reason!

Maz

• 3 weeks later...

hi just seen this, we also got no funding for a term, in fact I was told its usually 2 terms but they kindly pushed it through. We fundraised through the school whose site were ons PTA and charged parents for 2 sessions per week but paid for 3 out of our coffers. Within a year ish we had paid back a loan we also took out of 1000 pounds. If I was setting up myself now I would have to borrow maybe 2,000 to cover the first term plus set up costs. Not easy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)