Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meetings

This morning I have attended a EYFS support meeting.

Why are some people so rude. Throughout the whole 2 hour meeting, two woman have sat at the back of the room and just about whispered their way through the whole meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and from what I can gather, not about the meeting issues but other things!!

It is so distracting, because all you focus on is the noise coming from behind you. If these people don't want to listen to whats going on, then why attend in the first place. These two woman are owners and leaders of their settings, so are not just staff having a morning off :( .

I told the ladies running the course that I wanted to go over and slap the two women for being so rude :o but they didn't think that would be a good idea xD:( .

Why do we feel that we can't say SHUT UP to these people who are distracting us from such meetings.

Calmer now, thank you.

Oh Brenda, I do sympathise with you. There is nothing worse is there, and once it is annoying you it becomes impossible to block out. My husband is the type of person who would be inclined to turn round and ask them to shut up or take their private conversation outside, but I am not so brave! :o

Oh Brenda, I do sympathise with you. There is nothing worse is there, and once it is annoying you it becomes impossible to block out. My husband is the type of person who would be inclined to turn round and ask them to shut up or take their private conversation outside, but I am not so brave! xD

It's like when you're trying to sleep and suddenly you notice the ticking clock.. :(

And Mum would be one of those ones to turn around and shout at them! :o

I would have had to say something. I think there is nothing worse than a whispered conversation going on when you are trying to listen to somebody else. I would have been polite of course!! :o

Linda

I think it is up to the lecturer to state before the start of the briefing/meeting that she will not tolerate people who are rude and chat while she is talking. She should remind them of this if she hears them chatting or can see them whispering. If someone is chatting or whispering I glare at them - I haven't got the courage to say anything to them ! I would also tell the person running the course about it during the break, if there is one and hope she would mention it.

Sue J

It really is annoying - and just so rude.

We had a christening party in church recently whose guests just chatted and sniggered amongst themselves. Sniggered through all the hymns and then chatted into mobiles during the christening itself!!! I couldn't believe it, so IGNORANT!!!!!

Sorry, ranting a bit myself there....

It is so enoying when people do this. A course I just went on it was mentioned in the housekeeping bit they do at the beginning that they expected everyone to listen but to ask questions when appropriate. So perhaps its the tutors job to enforce this. These people wouldn't expect their children not to listen to others.

Oh BrendaS you've done it now! :rolleyes: What really bugs me about this is that these people are in effect telling the group that what they are saying is of more interest and more relevance than what the lecturer or fellow learner has to say. :wacko: I am always most angry when it happens in meetings or training when I think the perpetrators should know better - Advisory Teachers, EYPs and even other lecturers are not immune from indulging in a bit of 'side chat' from time to time! xD

And Mum would be one of those ones to turn around and shout at them! :o

Actually I can be much more subtle than that. I have a range of responses. From turning around and giving them 'the look' (which I have to say is very effective in most cases). Or I might say rather loudly "I'm sorry I didn't hear that because of all the background noise". I have been known to change seats before now, when feeling very un-assertive! To my knowledge though, I haven't ever actually shouted at anyone - although once I did turn round and ask some people if they could just stop talking for a moment because I was really interested in what the speaker had to say and that I couldn't hear what was being said. I was feeling very assertive that day! xD

I think it is up to the lecturer to state before the start of the briefing/meeting that she will not tolerate people who are rude and chat while she is talking.

I've seen some fantastic ways that lecturers can handle this sort of thing, from a professor at Uni who would say in her brightest Joyce Grenfell voice "my turn now!" at a particular gossipy group. Or just the very simple "so-and-so has asked a very interesting question and you might like to listen to the answer because I'm sure you'll need to know for later reference". Or the very straightforward (but likely to bring a chill into the air) "we listened very carefully when you asked your question/made your point earlier, could you please give other speakers the courtesy of listening to their equally valid points?" - this to a pair of serial offenders.

it is very annoying one Mazs bugbears :(

You see? My intolerance is legend! :(

I do feel so much better now - hope you weren't talking whilst I was ranting! :(

Maz

After years of fine tuning my ears, I finally 'lost it' while I was doing some tutoring for the PLA. I did the Joyce Grenfell thing a couple of times with one particularly annoying pair, that I could see were disturbing the rest of the group and then finally suggested that I needed to review the description sent out for the session. I was under the impression that we were here to discuss xyz - had I got it wrong? I don't think they fully grasped what I meant, but they did quieten down.

Now I will let folk know - as I do with colleagues who persist in talking whilst I'm reading a story, introducing activities etc or late arriving parents. These latter are asked to give messages etc to a colleague in a different room as the children need to know what will be going on today, but don't need to sit fidgeting while they 'get it all off their chests' (well, that's what I mean!)

Yes, Maz et al - you are not alone!

I have no hesitation of telling people "sorry but I can't hear" if they are interrupting me. When I'm training I usually say something like "sorry, could we have one conversation at a time please" which generally works. However I did have two people once who unbeknownst to me were slowly downing 3 cans of red bull each as the morning progressed. Thank goodness it was only a morning session as they did almost fly out the door at lunchtime having lost all sense of proportion re their behaviour.

CX

At a recent funeral the grand daughter of the deseaced whispered and chatted and looked aorund the church all throufgh the vicars readings, hymns and prayers. Once it had started I could stop looking at her. It ws really distracting. And so rude!

At nursery if I'm reading I usually sit back with my arms folded and whisper to the children to 'listen to the adults talking'. It can go o for a few seconds before the adult finally cotton on to the fact we're all quiet.

I did tell some people off a the pictures once. I felt very proud of myself.

Tutors should do what teahcres used to do 'would you like to share that?'or even 'Oh, Rea has something to tell us'. No she hasnt, but she wont talk anymore either :o

Tutors should do what teahcres used to do 'would you like to share that?'or even 'Oh, Rea has something to tell us'. No she hasnt, but she wont talk anymore either :o

But how long before someone gets a piece of chalk* thrown at them ot a tutor says "Rea! Are you chewing?" :(

Maz

* probably a whiteboard marker nowadays! xD

We never chatted in class at school, but we'd pass notes. And more often than not the teacher would spot them and confiscate and read them to the class!

So one time, we wrote this note which when she read out made her look a bit silly. I can't remember what it said, but it was probably a bit rude xD

But she never ever confiscated any notes from us again, and kept refering to the incident as her "lesson" because she felt it had taught her how we felt when she read out notes out. I didn't really make much sense to be honest, we shouldn't have been passing notes in the first place? But at the time it was brilliant. :o