Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving House

Beau

I am so upset at the moment. We found a house we really liked and exchanged contracts on it last December. However, for various reasons we are not completing until the end of the month. The school in our catchment area has had places for both the girls, but were unable to hold a place for them longer than 4 weeks. We are now 4 weeks away from moving so I contacted the school only to find they no longer have places for both of them. My girls are in Year 5 and Year 3, and they have a Year 5 space. The school is an excellent one, which presumably is part of the problem. It was suggested that we try to get them both into another school a couple of miles further away in the opposite direction but having looked it up I find that it was given a notice to improve in 2008, so I don't fancy that one. Also, that one is in a different catchment area for the secondary school we would be in.

I got back in touch with the school and asked if they were likely to have places come up soon, but she said not. So what do I do now? Do I get one of them in Yr5 and hope that a space becomes available for the other one?

We already moved last summer, which entailed a move of schools too. We have been living in rented accommodation whilst finding a house but the girls have been aware that they would be moving schools again. I really don't want to have to mess them about again but then again I really really want them in this particular school. :o

What a shame, did you ask about the appeals process for your younger child. How many children are in year 3 at the moment?

Re secondary school, unless it's a church school, it shouldn't matter which primary they go to, you just have to meet the secondary school requirements to get in.

it is always worth an appeal.... we did when we moved here for our son... and we were actually allocated a place even though school said there was none...

in fact we had letter from LEA and school had not been told when we turned up....

luckily we had the confirmation letter with us!

Inge

Sorry to hear your news Beau, as the others have said, you can try the appeal route, but I know these things can be very slow. Is your new house too far from now to be able to keep the children where they are now for a while?

The secondary school shouldn't be an issue, its usually where you live not the primary school that determines that.

Its also worth paying a visit to the other school, don't believe everything you read in OFSTEDs (having been in several schools in category, it isnt always all bad!).Why not go and have a look at it?

Obviously if you take up the one place, you would stand a better chance getting the other place if and when one becomes free but you would need to have a contingency plan for if that doesn't happen soon. The choices available to you would be leaving here where she is; taking a place elsewhere; or home educating.. I cant see what other options there would be

One of the reasons I was ruling out the other school was that whilst I know we would get into the secondary school based on our address, it doesn't make sense to send them to a Primary School where all their friends would be going to a different Secondary School to them.

We weren't offered a place, just told that they had places available when I enquired at the start of this year and that places could only be held for 4 weeks.

I don't know anything about the appeal system - do I do this through the council then?

Oh what a shame Beau.

A notice to improve was put on my lads secondary school last year. They had both always been really happy there and both achieved well. One of their teachers said it actually means they get more cash, so it cant all be bad. Have you looked round the one with the notice to improve? I understand how you dont want the girls messed about, but they are a resilient lot these kids of ours, so it might not be as bad for them as you're worrying.

Hope something turns up. :o

Oh dear how upsetting for you all. I think that you can appeal, but will need to list some good reasons for doing so. I'm not sure how the system works when you are moving children during the year. I know someone who wanted to move her son and had to go to appeal. She found evidence that the school had not followed its procedures in admitting another child, so she used that as a precedent for doing the same with hers. She won the appeal.

Presumably your application was verbal and with a verbal response, so you have nothing in writing to act as grounds for your appeal. I think I would contact the LA Appeals Officer and find out what to do next, if you decide that is the only school for you. It is worth going and looking at what else is available. As mundia says OSTED reports don't always give the full picture.

There might be some useful advice here

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-educ...ission_Appeals/

Definitely try the appeal route. When they said that they had spaces they would hold for you, did they say that spaces were really tight, and the likelihood of them being taken up?

Your LA will have an appeals office/officer so they should be your first port of call. If you decide to go down this route, you will need to read the LAs policies and procedures and follow them very carefully. I my days as CC teacher I was very involved in the appeals office and faults in the appeals application process always took longer and often with negative results. Every LA will differ, but in mine, an appeal could take anything from 6 weeks to 6 months, so you really do need a plan 'B'. You may be very lucky but if you are moving in 4 weeks, it's probabaly not realistic to get a solution in that time (unless someone leaves the class that is).

Also obvious it may be, but check on the school's waiting list policy and if there is one where you would be on that list if you took up the place in year 5. Yes that really does makea difference.

Hang on in there, things have a habit of turning out in the long run.

Thanks for that Jacquie, that looks very useful.

I emailed the school back in January explaining that we were moving into the area, hopefully at Easter and enquiring about spaces for the girls. They emailed back to say that they did have spaces but that they were only allowed to hold them open for 4 weeks, so I should contact them closer to the time. We are now 4 weeks away from the end of term so I contacted them, but unfortunately whatever spaces they had left in Yr3 have gone - I think the last one was taken just last week.

My main issue is with the older of the two. She is not the resilient type unfortunately Rea! We have had lots of issues to deal with moving her once and have been preparing her for this next move very carefully to try to make it less stressful for her. With her being in Yr5 she only has another year and a term before moving schools yet again and I was keen that she settle in and make friends quickly so that this wouldn't be an issue. If we end up at a school out of our secondary school catchment area then any friends she makes will be going to a different secondary school to her which would mean starting from scratch all over again. I had to break the news to the girls about the school when I picked them up this afternoon and the older one has been breaking her heart about it. I have to say I feel like wailing myself.

Unfortunately the other schools that are the feeders for the same secondary school are some way distant - the closest being almost 5 miles away. :o

What rotten luck - I can only echo the advice from others - appeal - through the LEA I believe - I take it the school doesn't have a 'sibling policy' then - silly question really they obviously don't. I think I would 'grab' the year 5 place quickly before that disappears.

Good luck with it all

Sunnyday

Actually, that's a point! Around here parents are really having fun getting their children in ANYWHERE for Secondary (well, almost!), never mind supposed catchments......Sorry if I've caused you more grief!!

Sue ((xx))

I had already looked into that Susan. There are several excellent Secondary schools in the area and of course a number of people choose to send their children to a private school in any case. The secondary school in question had twice as many applications as places last year, but looking at the figures it seems that if you're within the catchment area and the school is your first preference then getting in won't be a problem.

I think I'm going to take the place for the older child, go through the appeals process and in the meantime look around at the alternatives.

I expect you're feeling a bit better now there's a part decision made - particularly as you say your older child had been taking it badly.

Here's hoping things will sort themselves for you

Sue x

Thanks Sue. :( I spoke to several people in Admissions today and they all advised going down this route too. I mentioned the next nearest school and she told me that 'they don't advise that parents apply for out of catchment schools at all'. :o Well, if I had any choice then I wouldn't be! xD

So, if anyone knows of any good arguments as to why going over 30 pupils is not going to put the rest of the class at an educational disadvantage then please let me know. :(

In the good old days of the 1960s and 1970s I was in a class of between 40 and 46 children. Didn't do me any harm - and this was in the days before classroom assistants, so the teacher was on her own!