Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Please

we are a committee run group with a very and i mean very small committee - most of whom are not very enthusiastic. however we desperately need to raise funds and no-one can think of anything that we havent already done in past - sponsered look and find , easter egg raffle , sponsered bean grow - can anyone think of anything different - and hopefully something that doesnt involve a big lay ouy .

I don't know how big your group is but our local Indian restaurants hold charity nights where they lay on a buffet for £6 a head and we can sell tickets for what we like ( normally £12) Top that off with a raffle on the night and you've got a high income fundraiser for no outlay! If your local's don't do it why not suggest it to them? It's good for them to fill their restuarant on a quiet mid-week night.

We have found that a sponsored "something" which requires very little effort on the behalf of the parents goes down really well. We often do a sponsored obstacle course which is run as part of our session and all the parents have to do is collect sponsor and drop their child off as normal. When the parents have had to do something extra it has been taken up less well. (No further comment!)

How about setting up an art gallery using childrens paintings, models etc. You could then sell these exclusive pieces of art to the parents!

Agree with holly15, anything that requires no or very little effort from parents has always been our biggest fundraisers. In the past we have found the best to be:

Sponsored bounce (but involves cost of b/castle)

Sponsored sports day/obstacle course (no outlay)

Fill a smartie tube with pennies. (have to buy everyone a smartie tube)

Haven't done the last one for a good few years now and not sure if it would go down to well in todays climate of healthy eating

We do virtually no fundraising now as 5/6 years ago our then committee decided they had had enough of fundraising, quite frankly it had worn the pcokets and patience out of most of us, so it was decided to ask for a 'voluntary' donation from each child of £20 per term or £50 if paid for the year. This has worked really well and majority of parents pay. Also as it is a donation we qualify for gift aid, which last year gave us nearly £500.

KMT78 We plan to do that later in the year....great minds etc etc

We held a sponsored conker hunt last year and plan to do the same this year, raised about £300-£400 last year, though that's another one for later in the year. Cant remember what date but we are also having a sponsored "speak like a pirate day", dressing up too, there is an actual "speak like a pirate day" - just googled it and its Sep 19th or thereabout!!

KMT78 We plan to do that later in the year....great minds etc etc

We held a sponsored conker hunt last year and plan to do the same this year, raised about £300-£400 last year, though that's another one for later in the year. Cant remember what date but we are also having a sponsored "speak like a pirate day", dressing up too, there is an actual "speak like a pirate day" - just googled it and its Sep 19th or thereabout!!

ooo -aah me hearties!

sunnyday

I know some nurseries who have a 'toy fund' of £1.00 per week. This is all gathered up and spent as needed.

What about a bring and buy sale. Or a stall at a local schools fete?

Be careful with the tea towels if you're thinking of doing them as we got stitched up by the VAT. Also we could only order in batches of 100 and ended up with loads left over not sold. A good fundraiser though if you're cautious and plan it properly. Our committee didn't do their research properly.

There are also some web sites, cant remember what they are, I dont always pay attention at meetings, where every click sends money to you. Click.com? I'll see if there is anything in my notes.

There are also some web sites, cant remember what they are, I dont always pay attention at meetings, where every click sends money to you. Click.com? I'll see if there is anything in my notes.

www.easyfundraising.org.uk is the one we use, we don't raise a humungous amount - but every little helps!

Something we did in the past was to have a toy sale, where we invited parents to donate unwanted toys and books and then to come back in to buy someone else's unwanted items. I have to say I was sceptical (sp?) but it worked really well. We had to have a room set aside and the sale ran for the whole week. Parents could pop in at the start or end of the session and to be honest we just charged what we thought the person could afford. Many refused to pay so little and insisted on adding more on to the price. It did help that the children kept pestering to go in and look, which led to them often buying. Parents though told us it was great to be able to get rid of stuff they no longer needed, help the pre-school and get their child something newish without it costing a fortune.

How about setting up an art gallery using childrens paintings, models etc. You could then sell these exclusive pieces of art to the parents!

we bought some cheap canvases and after children had made their works of art sold them t o parents, they looked lovely and parents loved them!

We have a fantastic member of our committee who does all of our fundraising herself, she normally raisies about £3,000 per year.

We have had family discos usually raise over £500 at each, easter egg hunt (£500) a pyschic night which was very popular and raised £700, various sponsered events the most successful was a wheelathon which raised £800 we also held a children's fashion show which raised £600. We also hol regular quiz and bingo nights as well as cake stalls

We always sell tickets in advance for our events and advertise them widely including in the local free paper to try and gain support from the whole village. She also writes to local business and larger shops located in the nearest city asking foor raffle prizes/donations etc which usually covers most of the costs of holding each event. We are very lucky to have her as we are quite a small group (50 children on the books) so this is an huge amount to raise each year.

Maybe you can see if you have anyone that is willing to take on the role of fundraiser, whilst ours does all the organising on the day get help form staff, committee and parents she just puts out a list of what jobs she needs doing and everyone signs up for what they can do.

We have a fantastic member of our committee who does all of our fundraising herself, she normally raisies about £3,000 per year.

We have had family discos usually raise over £500 at each, easter egg hunt (£500) a pyschic night which was very popular and raised £700, various sponsered events the most successful was a wheelathon which raised £800 we also held a children's fashion show which raised £600. We also hol regular quiz and bingo nights as well as cake stalls

We always sell tickets in advance for our events and advertise them widely including in the local free paper to try and gain support from the whole village. She also writes to local business and larger shops located in the nearest city asking foor raffle prizes/donations etc which usually covers most of the costs of holding each event. We are very lucky to have her as we are quite a small group (50 children on the books) so this is an huge amount to raise each year.

Maybe you can see if you have anyone that is willing to take on the role of fundraiser, whilst ours does all the organising on the day get help form staff, committee and parents she just puts out a list of what jobs she needs doing and everyone signs up for what they can do.

Just had to say ................WOW!

Sunnyday

I know sunnyday she is frankly amazing!! I can never find enough ways to thank her, it just goes to show what can be done if you can just get someone or a group of people to really focus on fundraising.

The best part is our fundraising policy states that all monies raised will be spent on resources that directly benefit the children so I get the fun part of compliling a new wish list each year :o

all i can say is lucky you with regard to your wonderful fund raiser - we have put up notes for a fundraising committee - no response whatsoever .

we thought that parents might like to do just that part of committee role -but no .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)