Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenging Staff

Hi Everyone

How do others manage with staff that do not / will not / want to adopt the principles of the EYFS. I have seven staff who are all fantastic, but one all fights any changes and it is wearing me down. I have been at my setting for 2 years after finishing my Foundation Degree, she has been at the setting for 10 years, but doesn't have any early years qualifications.

At the end of last half term, I had to speak to her because she had only completed 1 observations out of a possible 21 for her 7 keychildren since september. (perhaps i should have spoke to her earlier but I work everyday in the ratios except for Friday and I have 9 keychildern myself). Well today, she spent all morning holding a clipboard and wrote out four narrative obs plus a few post it's. (none of the narratives were finished ie age, date, links to EYFS, next steps) Although they were all filed away. This meant that interactions with the children were limited today and some time was spent in the kitchen.

If I say anything, I get snapped back at. Everything that I am asked to change by our Early Years consultant gets disapproval from this member of staff. Even moving a table!

She only actually works 2 morning sessions of 3 hours, I can't understand why she can't just come in do her job. I have explained all the changes are now requirements of the EYFS. She has been on training courses recently, but nothing is transferred but to the setting. We have regular staff meetings.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreicated.

It is hard when staff are unwilling to go along with current guidelines, she may not be doing it to be difficult but she may be scared of change. I have found this within my setting in the past. I would ask her why she is not doing the observations as it might be a problem that you are not aweare of. I would also delegate some of your keychildren as it is hard to be a manager and also have keychidlre. I would talk to the owner of your setting about this, as you are unable to manage the nursery staff and the chidlren as well I hope this helps. Big hugs coming your way from a fellow manager (((((())))))

Yes this is tricky. I am a manager too and I am also included in ratios and I have key children, but from Septemeber I have decided this will stop because as you say there is so much to do all the time.

Do the staff do self appraisals ? This could be a way of asking her to think about her job and the responsibilities she has, her understanding of the requirements of the EYFS etc and ask her to list any training she requires or any difficulties she is having in carrying out her duties.. hopefully this will give her the opportunity to say how she feels and you can discuss any points that come up.

That was confusing with you two having the same picture!

I have a staff member 'sitting on her hands' too, and it's very frustrating for everyone else. Like you, if I say anything she'll spend an entire morning doing observations which don't link to anything or that don't have any reason other than she's got to do an observation!

oh how annoying, and surely doing observations was a requirement before the eyfs came in, so really she should be doing her job properly and professionally but I wonder..... does she know how to observe, assess the children in her key group? I mean you mention that she is unqualified but she has been on training has she done observation and assessment training?

she does need taking to one side and speaking to, first try doing it suportively and if that doesnt work..... ask her to read her job description and pull her finger out! (she does have a job description?)

i would also do a supervision and get her to read the job description and reflect on her practice, how about a notice to improve with a 4 week review?! they work wonders for me!!!

that was going to be my question ... what does her job description say??

i find it unbeleivable that obs were not done as part of the old foundation stage

perhaps more training

if she is not qualified maybe she is not cometent to be having key children, difficult i know when she is part of the ratios

i would set het targets through her appraisal

do you have disaplinary policy could go down that route

good luck dont envy you tho

Sounds like she doens't understand the purpose or benefits of doing the observations and what you can do after the ob to move the child's learning forward.

Would she respond well to you doing one together and then talking about the observation and thinking through the next steps together. Maybe then you can work togehter to folllow through with some of those ideas, like changing a part of the provision or adding resources to support than child. I find staff who don't fill in the next steps are often unsure what to write there and that is the hardest part of filling in the form. Do you have time for your staff to share some of the next step parts of their obs and talk about the needs of the individuals and plans they have made?

Resistant staff are such a strain! Good luck.

I have this as well!!!!! I think out there there are a quite a few settings with this situation, but still it's not a good place to be!!!!

Good luck!!

Kat

One of my colleagues has been there for 25 years and has never wanted to do any qualifications, but she has gone on various training courses, she doesn't have any key children but does do snapshot obs or verbally tells a key person of any special moments etc.. She has talked about leaving because she feels she's not doing her share but to lose her experience and company would be devastating. Also because she doesn't have to do loads of obs, she's always able to simply play and interact with the children which is something I'll admit to being envious of, especially when suffering from writers cramp. Being not qualified doesn't necessarily you can't contribute positively, and is no excuse not to fufill her job description. I only got my first qualification last year but have always had key children, done obs, training courses etc...

Good luck with solving your problem,

Karrie

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all your fantastic advice. At least I'm not alone, it seems like most of you have a challenging member of staff.

It would be a good idea to take the keychildren away from her, but this doesn't seem fair on the others. She does earn a good wage £6.60 an hour + 10 weeks holiday pay. My feeling is that if someone wants to just come in a sit at a table drawing ( or spend alot of time in the kitchen) they need to be voluntary. She is actually a very capable person, who has a special interest in child development.

After all we are a charity, with lacking resources and a building that is coming to the end of its life.

We are having a committee meeting on Tuesday, I will raise my problems, and mull over your ideas.

Thanks again. A problem shared.................

perhaps she finds it overwhelming - only working two mornings and having seven key children? could you cut them down as these children obviously attend other days and maybe with less children she may feel more able to work with them and observe.

i must say we only have to do two foccussed obs per term - anything else is in short note form/odd words.the idea is to play more with teh children and less time writing. we make notes of anything we feel we need to but otherwise we are playing with the children and not constantly writing.

most people can remember things that happen if they have notes / odd words to refer to.

perhaps offer her someone to work alongside / to support her - she may be feeling she wont do it right?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)