Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hello From A Newbie

Hi all,

My name is Tracy. Can I just say what a great web site this is. I'm not sure whether I am posting in the right place but here goes. I am currently working as a kitchen assistant/midday supervisor in a secondary school. I am interesting in working with children that have learning difficulties. I have spoken to the Government careers line and got bombarded with lots of information but nothing I could really get my teeth into. I was wondering if any one out there could give me an idea where I need to start, what courses I would need to complete. I have had no experience in this field. I am wanting to re-educate myself over the course of the next few years. I have 7 GCSE's A-C grade and a BTEC National Certificate in Business and Finance. Any help at the minute would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Tracy

I would ring your local authority and find out what support they're prepared to offer you. Are you interested in working in a school environment or pre-school? That might make a difference to the approach you'll take and will certainly affect the qualifications you'll need.

How many hours do you work at present? Are you able to do some volunteering in either a pre-school or school so that you can get some experience (and also find out whether this kind of job is really for you!).

Good luck - let us know how things go!

Maz

PS Welcome to the Forum - I can't think of a finer place to get information about your chosen profession. Even if some of it might make your hair curl... :o

Hi Tracy and a warm welcome from me too! I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help! :(

I'm hoping Wolfie's and my post were made at the same time - otherwise she's saying "take no notice of what Maz says..." xD:o

Maz

Thank you all for your quick response.

I currently work 12 hours a week, I have 7 yr old twins in year 2. I would like to work in a school environment rather than pre-school. I would be quite happy to give up a couple of afternoons a week to help out. I was thinking about doing some volunteer work to start with to see if it was exactly what I want to do but it seems to be so hard to come by in my area. There is only one primary school and one secondary school, so there isn't much choice without having to travel. I will try the local authority tomorrow and see what they say.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Tracy

Welcome from me too. I started helping at the primary school when my daughter was 4 and not looked back! Worked for 11 years as a volunteer and did all sorts of wonderful things. I don't have any negative memories of it at all. Went on from there to do my ADCE then after a decade running a Preschool I did my FDEY! Go for it!

Hi and welcome from me too Tracey. I think a lot of TAs start by volunteering, I know my sons school was full of them but they were usually moms who started by helping out. Ask your local school if they need any help.

hi and welcome from me too!! like a lot of people in childcare i started out as a volunteer at daughters pre school 14 years ago and like cait never looked back!! im a manager of a day nursery now and i love it!!! (even if some of my posts are a moan!!! but thats why childcare is such a rewarding job as the children come first and every day is different with new challenges, hope you are soon on the path to a great career!

Thank you all very much for your warm welcome. I have spoken to a few people this morning and sent off a few emails for information. Its nice to know that there is support out there when you know where to look. Thank you all once again, and I will keep you updated. :o

Tracy

Hi Tracy

I am going to echo what others have already said but here goes....

All of the infant, junior and primary schools in my area ask for at least NVQ level 2 now.

Some even ask for a min of level 3 - often because these jobs are heavily in demand.

Our school has recently had 73 people apply for 1 position!

As others have said - volunteering is definitely the best way to 'get a foot in the door'

You GCSE's will definitely show a good level od education so that will stand you in good stead too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)