Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Liaison Between Eyfs Providers And Childminders

Ofsted requires childminders to have liaison with other EYFS providers to give continuity of a childs learning and development. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can work as verbal is not good enough.

Have you had a chat with any of the providers you come into contact with?

They might have some ideas to work on together.

How about a home / school type diary but it would be nursery /home/ childminder type of idea?.

I expect individual places/ people will have their own thoughts as to what they preceive to be good practice!

Hi kfm,

I'm going to move this into the childminders part of the forum where other childminders can tell you about what they do. Also, it is worth approaching whichever settings you would deal with to find out if they are putting something in place themselves. :o

Good luck.........................I have tried repeatedly and without success, both verbally and in writing to the other setting in our village, asking for us to set up osme sort of liaison and it has been ignored.When I telephoned, the supervisor said, oh yes, good idea, so I followed it up in writing, twice, to their committee (hand delivered to chair's house, so i know she got them!).......................and nothing.So, I have copies of correspondance and when the O people come, i can honestly say I have tried my best, and leave them to draw their own conclusions.It's shame though, it only benefits the children, so i don't understand why they are so reluctant.............our lead teacher just said, 'well, you have tried your best, it is all you can do'.........and she was going to ask them how liaison is going, so we shall see if anything comes of it.

In our nursery we know most of our childminders quite well. So we greet them and talk about any issues at the beginning and end of the sessions just as we would with parents. We also have a meeting every half term to talk about how we can best meet the children's needs through the EYFS. We only have one learning journey per child between us which is kept at the nursery but made available for the childminders. They bring in photos, observations, pieces of work which I then add to their learning journeys. This is great as I have photos of when they went to playgroups, trips out with other children and also I can get a feeling of what the children are like in a different environment. It also reduces their workload as they don't have the worry of doing the learning journeys themselves. It also means that I am aware of other children that are with the childminders that don't come to nursery so we can chat about what they have done earlier/later that day. It is working quite well at the moment but none of us has been inspected recently so I'll have to let you know what Ofsted thinks.

Sue

Thank you for the replies. I have spoken to two nurseries, one said 'well it aint gonna happen' the other had no idea that this is a requirement so I gave them copies of the details and waiting to hear from them.

If they say 'no way' I would ensure you have everything documented, to back up your efforts so that you can show anyone who asks ..(big O) So long as you are trying and can show that you are willing there is not much more you can do..

As a preschool we had the same as Narnia.. brick walls from other local settings, quoting confidentiality at us.. even with parents permission letters to share information.... we kept all letters and did everything in writing to document it.. seems extreme but having been investigated for other things it really does help to have the paperwork to back it all up. Only one setting was helpful and that was because we knew the supervisor personally.

we had a better response from childminders ( except for one who really did not want child in pre-school because she lost the income!)

I do like the idea of one book shared between a childminder and a setting, if worked out there would be definite advantages for both.

Inge

I agree with the one book between all (as long as it doesn't get lost). If I at least do that then I am doing my part even if the nursery doesn't want to share.

It can be a real challenge I agree but I have kept on trying to engage other settings in different ways and improvements have been made.

I share a child with a local preschool (2 full days with me and 2 morning sessions at preschool) My learning diary for this child is seperate but I share a book with the preschool where I duplicate copies of next steps and targets to put in so that the preschool can observe these in their setting, We both write brief comments about the child's interests and experiences and use the book to help her make links in her learning. This is very successful.

I ask parents to let me know what schools their children will be attending and I arrange to visit their new class and invite teachers to visit children in my setting the same as they would for a preschool - the response is often, "yes, but I'm visiting 10 children in the preschool and you only have one child" I usually just insist that it's just as important for that child to see their teacher in familiar environment.

I think if you keep trying and making different suggestions for how you could make some links eventually someone will agree.

I am quite lucky by the sound of it as I have a really good realtionship with 2 childminders at pur setting.

We ue the profile of the provider that has the child for the most time adnt then use different coloured highlights to respresent each other.

We also put our own photos and observations that get added to the file.

We also give a copy of our weekly plan and learning objectives to the childminders to incorporate within their files to show that we are working together.

I telephoned ofsted to check that this ok and they actually said it was a good idea.!!!!

It works for us but again i am lucky in the respect that they are both willing!.

We use a book which a childminder we worked with at the time helped us to devise. It has been in place now for over 12 months and sometimes I feel it isn't working. But then today a parent whose child also goes to a full day nursery came in to tell me she had taken the book and my letter of introduction to the nursery. The key person there had been very enthusiastic although cautious about writing in it. However she did say they had planned to introduce the idea for all their children and would be writing in this child's diary next time he was in. Mum has stuck his moving up report in for now and labelled it for us.

Just wanted to share this as I felt so much more valued today because of this and am now thinking it can work again. I would say keep trying and definitely record refusals to co-operate. Parent pester power has certainly helped us as has pressure from development worker at local authority, although I guess not all will want to put themselves out there.

All I really put in the letter was that we were doing this to comply with and then quoted from the EYFS so they could see it for themselves. I then added that this was our way of doing it and if they already had a system in place we would be happy to use their's if that was better for them (and I had to mean that!). I gave them all my contact numbers, emails etc in case they wanted to talk about it and in general was quite flattering to them. I have also made the book very informal to encourage parents if no one else to write in it and I think this has helped with other settings as they have felt more able to make a quick comment without writing reams.

I do think our real selling point has been getting the parents to use them which has led to the pester power they have inflicted on the other settings. Our parents really seem to love them and we include lots of little details in the diaries about what their child has enjoyed doing, how helpful they have been, etc to draw the parents in. Another really useful thing has been the children themselves being very proud of their books. When they have got a sticker we have taken to putting another in their book and showing them we are writing in it to explain what it is for. They love looking back to see what they got them for and lots of them ask daily if I have written in their books for them to take home. Hope that helps some.

Well done to all those who have good links with childminders. I have offered to share their minded children achievements, asked them to contribute but they just can't be bothered to record anything at all.I guess Ofsted will catch up with them soon.They just say"ask their mum". I have been a childminder in the past so I know they are following the most of the curriculum with normal day to day routines. They all seem very annoyed with the whole new EYFS.

Well we are like Narnia, we've tried and tried - I've even collared the Nursery CA in Tescos! She said it was a good idea, and would speak to the teacher. Asked both sets of parents of the children who attend there 5 mornings a week and come to us 2 afternoons and we nag nag drip drip........... but nothing yet. As they are the child's primary provider I'm not sure it should be up to me to instigate something, but if nothing happens by next half term I think I will, because they'll have had half a year to get on with it!

I am a childminder and had a child for 2 years before they were old enough and then started playschool 2 mornings a week in January whilst their parent had them (not me) so they were doing drop off and pick ups.

The playschool were aware I was this child's childminder at other times during the week (2 1/2 day) as both my 2 children had previously been with them (this child then younger with me when I collected them)and I had also collected a minded child from them for 1 year.

With the child I collected the staff would chat to me and let me know if they had seemed unusually quiet or had a good/bad morning etc but when the 3 year old started I heard nothing from the playschool. As I knew under the new EYFS even though I don't see them we still need to communicate I contacted them after the child had been there 3/4 weeks. I didn't get a very good response as I was told "well you don't bring or collect them" so I quoted the EYFS and they then reluctantly said "well we are still getting to know the child so ring back after half term and maybe you can come in and have a chat with the child's key worker." So I will have to see what happens - I'll keep you posted.

Would have been nice if they had maybe asked me some background about the child since I had had them for 2 years but hey! I'm lucky that he hildrens parents are really good and are letting m know what letter/colour of the week are etc at present and they have signed a letter saying I can talk to the playschool about their child. [/font]

How would you handle this one? At a recent meeting with the child's parents, the key person was informed that, yes, child went to another setting but they definitely didn't want us contacting the other place as they don't know child is coming to us! Obviously record the discussion, & we clearly can't do anything without their consent, but any other ideas? Trying to find out which one it is; I know a couple of local nurseries say they don't allow children to attend another setting and I can only assume they're afraid of losing the place. We're a 9 -3 preschool; child is under 3 and started with us just after Christmas, 2 afternoons pw.

Yes I know where you're coming from, Cait, and that's a good idea.

I'm unsure about whether it's lawful or not, Holly, but I don't remember reading anywhere that it's not. That may change when child is eligible for funding, though. Otherwise I wondered if it's a bit like when shops can refuse to sell goods in certain situations - how far can you set your own terms & conditions?

Would have been nice if they had maybe asked me some background about the child since I had had them for 2 years but hey! I'm lucky that he hildrens parents are really good and are letting m know what letter/colour of the week are etc at present and they have signed a letter saying I can talk to the playschool about their child. [/font]

That's such a shame - I think parents are really key here though and one way you can get around this happening again is to explain to new parents the importance for children who move onto or attend different settings that everyone works together to provide a holistic experience for the child. Pass on information about your transition policies to the other setting through parents and ask the parents to let the other setting know that you will be in touch to discuss together how you can share the care of this child.

How would you handle this one?

How terrible for the child - I think I would want to have a serious discussion with the parent about how important it is for children to make links between home and all their settings - how silly of the other setting to make a parent feel they have to be so secretive. What if the child wants to tell their keyworker about those lovely biscuits they made at preschool.

Not sure if that helps re. how to handle it but I would try to work with parents to see that this is not going to be a helpful start for their child.

Good luck.........................I have tried repeatedly and without success, both verbally and in writing to the other setting in our village, asking for us to set up osme sort of liaison and it has been ignored.When I telephoned, the supervisor said, oh yes, good idea, so I followed it up in writing, twice, to their committee (hand delivered to chair's house, so i know she got them!).......................and nothing.So, I have copies of correspondance and when the O people come, i can honestly say I have tried my best, and leave them to draw their own conclusions.It's shame though, it only benefits the children, so i don't understand why they are so reluctant.............our lead teacher just said, 'well, you have tried your best, it is all you can do'.........and she was going to ask them how liaison is going, so we shall see if anything comes of it.

Perhaps you should write to the supervisor as well, as the committee, from personal past experience, may not be passing on the correspondence!! The supervisor may well want to liaise but the committee may not understand the need or the urgency for this as we do.

I use to be a childminder and i am now running the local playgroup. I would have loved the opportunity to share my experiences with playgroup. Unfortunatly i have several childminders who are in it just for the money and any extra work is a definate no no even if ofsted say they should be.

My ideas would be to share their daily diary and maybe once every month or term provide an A4 sheet of experiences and acheivements that could go in their learning journal.

best of luck

angela

In it for the money?

What money!

I am a childminder and even though I work from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, some days if I only have one child that day earn less than £3 per hour.

I suppose it depends on where you are in the country as to how much you are getting paid but westbrom, you seriously get under £3 ph? Time to raise your fees i think. Any minder who is charging under that is doing themselves and others a disservice.

I have had a good response to working with other providers, particuarly reception class teacher. Got permission from parents to speak with teacher and had a meeting. I learned a lot more about the child via the teacher but I didn't feel that they were getting the "two way info sharing" bit. Its a start though isn't it.

As for the other minder who looks after another child I care for, i have tried several time to make contact to share but its been ignored time and again. I just note down how/when I tried and then I have my evidence that I am trying to do my bit

Hi £3 an hr is the norm where i live, but if you have x3 children that £9 hr!!!

it is very difficult to work as "part of a team " form two or more settings and the parent doesn't always wants

to be the piggie in the middle..

If the nursery staff tell or mention anything to me when i pick-up-drop -off i always write it down as this is still

communication with another setting!!!

Still i do feel its a case of us and them, as a CM i have to give parents information daily, yet the nursery only has a parents evening say twice a yr and cm is not invited!!! we have to ask the children what they have done and we never get answers from tired little ones, the nurserys i am linked with wont even tell me any themes they are leading with or what the child played with most this week ??? i get told if they have a "banged head!!" and thats it,,,

i have an EYFS next steps diary for each child but the staff dont have time to add any comments or pictures!! well sorry i dont have any staff its just me and i have to find time to fill it in! part of the EYFS requirements!!

like i say its a long way off partnership but lets hope as ofsted inspect us all they will insist that communications are more frequent and informative ,,,it still surprises me how parents dont even ask questions at nursery or is it just a few hrs break and are happy as long as their child/ren are safe?

im sorry to the nurserys that are willing to partnership and find the cm is not very interested,, i wish all nurserys were more forward with sharing information,ideas and the the child's ILP/next steps.

Mrs ofsted could devise a method of partnership working where a simple format could be used say an information sheet weekly would give each setting a deeper insight to a childs learning and experiances,

I think to work as part of a team we need to think of the wider context (this is how I have viewed it for my uni work) - we liaise with the parents, we involve the children (who after all are the most important people within the EYFS), we work with our colleagues via networks, drop ins, meetings etc, sharing info and ideas, we see our CDO's and EY teams.

Its true that so many larger providers are still tending to ignore the fact that we should all be working together now but if we attempt to do our bit and get rebuffed then its a case of noting it down clearly so that its obvious we have tried.

There are some really good childminders who want the best for the children and will do everythiing to improve what they do and be a true professional. I was one of them. Now i work in playgroup the childminders i have coming to me are really not interested. one in particular just had her ofsted and was more than happy that she got satisfactory. 'thats it for 3 years was her comment' ofsted never mentioned anything about her partnership with playgroup. so if they are not pushing it i do not know what else i can do as all my childminders seem to be the same and are not interested in exchanging information.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my chat with the child's playschool last week and came away feeling that it was a bit if a waste of time! I was in there for only about 10 minutes and key worker and manager seemed to rush through everything and kept looking at clock! I felt like I couldn't really ask much. When I said about how I had been concentrating on numbers lately as child had been saying random numbers up to 20 alot and when 'writing' tells me they are numbers saying number names whilst going up/down stairs and how can now successfully count 1- 10 in sequence and I just got glanced at and told child has shown no evidence of this here as if I was lying! I asked if I could have a copy of there number/colour/shape of week etc and was asked why!! At the end manager then said I don't think we need to do this every term maybe every 10-12 weeks! I have a sheet that both me and them signed saying what child has enjoyed doing at setting and what next steps are in both of our settings to show Ofsted but still feel as if they didn't really want me there. I'm a bit worried about the next meeting which they wouldn't let me book then and there as apparently they will ring me with a good time nearer the time. I'm sorry but surly they are at the setting all the time and it is me having to make time to see them!

Just came away feeling rather disheartened!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)