Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Liaison Between Eyfs Providers And Childminders

I would love our childminders to be so interested. Sorry you have not had a successful meeting, but I think you should keep plugging away. Maybe they will be more receptive next time. Good luck.

Just came away feeling rather disheartened!

Sorry your experience was less than helpful velvet - not exactly a shining example of settings working well together, is it? Could you talk to the parents of the child and get them to exert a bit of pressure? If they take the right approach with the setting, they might be persuaded to co-operate a bit more fully.

Another suggestion is when they ring you to set up a time (and no doubt you'll be putting a reminder in your diary on a set date to ring them if they haven't called you by then!) you could write to them to confirm what you'd like to talk about so they are prepared. If nothing else all this will prove to Mrs Ofsted that you are willing to work in partnership, and are actively trying to set up a close working relationship with them not only in order to fulfil your obligations under the EYFS, but primarily for the benefit of the child's continued development and learning.

Good luck - try not to be too disheartened for too long. You're obviously doing a great job by the sounds of it!

Maz

I agree you're doing a great job. I had a terrible experience last year with trying to make links - to be honest I think some settings cannot let go of it being about competition, they feel threatened that what they're providing isn't good enough and you are scrutinising what they are doing - just my opinion, or just lack of respect or understanding of how knowledgeable some childminders are :o

Anyway, this year I'm working with the most wonderful setting to support a child with split funding, we both recognise the skills of the other - ie. I recognise the wonderful work they are doing around supporting friendships as they are a bigger group, they recognise that having initiated EYAP, I'm taking a lead role in setting IEP's yet we both work together to provide experiences to meet the targets and monitor them. We use a book that goes between settings and parents to record IEP's offered and met and other interests and achievements. It's Fab xD

So keep at it and be proud of the efforts your making

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have always provided a book between settings - and the best thing is some settings actually extend activities that the child has undertaken in my childminding setting - which is a slight reversal from the pre-schools and daycare settings always taking the lead.

However, in order to instigate any book I had to obtain permission from the parents first, myself and the parents then met with the setting together to show a united front in relation to ensuring the child has a common goal shared between the 3 of us - childminder, parent and setting. It has been brilliant, the children have thrived on this and so have I. It has given me a shared interest, the settings have also recently invited me to plays and events and included me in the child's life within their setting. Obviously we clear it with the parents first, incase they want to experience this on their own. But so far - I have sat next to grandmas and grandpas and the parents and shared in my charges experiences.

Love the EYFS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a childminder and take a child to pre-school daily. The pre-school has a board up and on one half they place post-it notes saying what the child has done with them and on the other side parents/carers can put what the child has done at home etc. As a childminder I then put these postits in the childs EYFS folder I am completing. This seems to work quite well. The pre-school staff also talk to the childs carers/parents/childminders as and when issues arise or when they need to. I also talk to them regularly at the end of the session if I get there a few minutes early to discuss the childs progress.

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

Hi Rebekah and welcome to the forum! :o

What a positive first post - that sounds like a really effective system of sharing information! xD

Hi everyone, thought you might like to know at my inspection I was asked how I liase with other providers (nursery and Reception) I told her I do it verbally and obtain copies of the curriculum, which I then support at home (I'm a childminder). The nursery also have a board outside saying what they will be doing, again I support this while also following my own planning. The Inspector was very happy with this. I managed to get outstanding in all areas so it must be ok!!

Diane

My Keypies have still not returned from Nursery, sigh. Oh well, at least I know I tried!

Perhaps the end of a term isn't a good time to start a new initiative Cait? Maybe at the beginning of term you could talk to the child's mum and ask her to chase it for you? Everyone has to be on board or else no system is likely to work effectively!

Congratulations on your 'outstanding' Diane!

Maz

Perhaps the end of a term isn't a good time to start a new initiative Cait? Maybe at the beginning of term you could talk to the child's mum and ask her to chase it for you?

Maz

Well it was about a fortnight ago - and it was in a long line of my contacting them and parents nagging them, so it's not like it was out of the blue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)