Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Socket Covers

louby loo

Do you use them or not?

Yes we do use them - and its quite alarming that something designed to keep our children safe could possibly be dangerous, even if the risk is very small.

Interesting that Nursery World didn't print any information that showed whether the author's assertion that Ofsted no longer recommend using them.

Talk about confusing - do I take them all out or leave them in? :o

Maz

I don't get NW so curious as to what risk the socket covers pose. :o

I alwas used them in my preschool. A few times (maybe twice over a 7 yr period) I noticed a child trying to take out a socket cover, is this the risk? If so I think this is a smaller risk than not noticing a child prod an electric socket with a pencil or other impliment. Or is it about teaching children dangers and to manage own risks??? xD

Talking electricals, I recall one safety nightmare when I found a member of staff poking a metal knife into the toaster (turned on)

to get some stuck toast out. :(:(

Peggy

I don't get NW so curious as to what risk the socket covers pose. :o

Well let me enlighten you then Peggy. The 'In My View' piece was written by Dr David Peacock, co-founder of Fatally Flawed.

He says that since 1947, the UK has had the safest power sockets in the world because they have built in shutters inside the socket for the specific purpose of preventing children poking objects into the holes. Dr Peacock says that putting a socket cover in "always disables the approved safety device and replaces it with something which is not regulated, or even tested for insulation! A socket remains safe when a plug is inserted because the plus is made to a controlled size andshape. Covers do not meeet these requirements and so reduce safety. Children are often able to remove covers, adn their design makes it possible for themto put one back upside-down using onmly the top (earth) pin. On most sockets this opens the shutters so that thre protection is removed. Even whemn inserted normally, the two most popular socket types allow small objects to be pushed into the live connections, with potentially fatal results".

He goes on to say that as a result of his organisation's campaigning, "Ofsted and the other inspection bodies" now no longer "require or recommend" their use.

For more information, their website is here.

Maz

It seems to me that they only pose a risk if a child manages to take one out, put it in upside down, then pokes something in. OR if a child has a paperclip or pin and manages to poke it down the side of the cover. I'd like to see statistics on the risk of any of these happening versus a socket with no cover. :o

The ones that we had at playgroup certainly could not be put in upside down but perhaps the design of them have changed nowadays. They were also incredibly difficult to remove (often removing nails in the process!!). :o I looked at the website and thought how unlikely the scenario's were that he was putting forward, particularly for a preschool setting. A child would need to take out a plug cover, put it back in upside down and then find something to poke into the open holes. Or they would need to find a paperclip, unbend it and manipulate it into a tiny little space down the side of the plug cover. Both of these without being spotted at all!

I'd like to see statistics on the risk of any of these happening versus a socket with no cover. :o

I had a look at the website - it is all a bit scary really. There are a couple of makes of plug socket covers which are shaped so that it is possible to stick a paperclip (well an unravelled one) directly into the live even when they're covered up and you'd think they were safe. There are also plug socket covers that pop back up when they've been put in because they don't fit properly.

One of the website FAQs is: How many injuries or deaths have been caused by the use of socket covers?

We have been unable to find any statistics which detail the exact causes of death by electric shock in the home. Our position is simply that the possibility of electrocution caused by the use of socket covers in UK sockets is clearly demonstrable, while we have identified no benefit attributable to their use.

I really don't know what to think - is this just scaremongering? Or is there an actual (if slight) risk to children but one that would be negated by good supervision when children are playing?

Maz

Guest MaryEMac

Our socket covers fit so tightly that even the adults have trouble getting them out. I for one will carry on using them unless officially told otherwise.

Mary

i'm with you Mary i think that there is more chance of a child sticking something in the socket if is uncovered than if it is covered i'm sticking to covering up.

Talking electricals, I recall one safety nightmare when I found a member of staff poking a metal knife into the toaster (turned on)

to get some stuck toast out. xD:(

Peggy

Some people!!

Just did it with a fork to get the waffles out :o

I had a look at the website - it is all a bit scary really. There are a couple of makes of plug socket covers which are shaped so that it is possible to stick a paperclip (well an unravelled one) directly into the live even when they're covered up and you'd think they were safe. There are also plug socket covers that pop back up when they've been put in because they don't fit properly.

One of the website FAQs is: How many injuries or deaths have been caused by the use of socket covers?

We have been unable to find any statistics which detail the exact causes of death by electric shock in the home. Our position is simply that the possibility of electrocution caused by the use of socket covers in UK sockets is clearly demonstrable, while we have identified no benefit attributable to their use.

I really don't know what to think - is this just scaremongering? Or is there an actual (if slight) risk to children but one that would be negated by good supervision when children are playing?

Maz

Damned if you do, damned if you dont. Whether you use them or not you're going to have to supervise anyway. Wonder if the H&S exec are aware of this and if it will be appearing on their myth of the month page.

I saw the article but I have to admit that my thinking was, in our pre-school anyway, a socket cover slows a child down in being able to access the socket. I will have another look at the design to see if it would be possible to poke anything into any of the three slots while the cover is in, but failing that I will keep using them unless Ofsted put it in writing. I did think the author of the piece might have his own axe to grind so to speak, although what it is I couldn't put my finger on exactly.

Although I used them at home when my children were small, my electrical engineer husband wasnt in favour for the very reasons described in the article. He was much happier that the sockets were turned off and made sure all them were switched.

i'm with you Mary i think that there is more chance of a child sticking something in the socket if is uncovered than if it is covered i'm sticking to covering up.

On the website there's a video showing that you can't actually poke anything into a socket that doesn't have a plug or covering in it - there's an inbuilt safety mechanism to stop it... :o

A friend of mine is a PLA acctreditation inspector and she's going to find out what their line on this is. To be honest until Ofsted or Elf and Safe Tee tell us not too, we're likely to carry on using them.

Maz

We have some permanently unusable sockets, as the covers are just so tight!!

Tried phoning Ofsted today but lines were too busy!!!!! xD

Am going to email - if they really are saying don't use, we need to know - equally, we'll all look stupid if they come in and ask why there are no socket covers! :o

If we all fail, can we sue this website???? - just joking! :(

On the website there's a video showing that you can't actually poke anything into a socket that doesn't have a plug or covering in it - there's an inbuilt safety mechanism to stop it... :o

A friend of mine is a PLA acctreditation inspector and she's going to find out what their line on this is. To be honest until Ofsted or Elf and Safe Tee tell us not too, we're likely to carry on using them.

Maz

But there is nothing to stop a child poking something long and thin into the top pin and opening up the bottom ones either!

I would say for the time being that you should just check that your covers are fitting in properly and not overly easy to remove. Make sure that you don't have any extremely long thin pointy bits of metal handy........ Oh hang on a minute, you mean that you generally don't let the children have access to long thin pointy bits of metal? Silly old me! xD Joking aside, it's a good thing to look at your routine procedures every now and then to make sure you are keeping the children safe. However, the scenarios put forward in the video are so extremely unlikely in a preschool setting that I would say that unless you are negligent it can't happen.