Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Work Experience Placements

Hi. Help needed please. We have been approached regarding taking a Year 9 boy on work experience placement. Whilst I'm generally happy to have this lad I am aware that he has several facial piercings, including his tongue. Do you ever ask anyone to remove piercings? Is this acceptable/legal etc. I guess I could ask him to wear small, non-decorative ones rather than the flashy coloured ones but I think I might be on dodgy ground.....

What would you do or say?!

Thanks

Hi

We had a student recently that had her lip pierced. She did ask me first and offered to put a plaster over it, but I thought it was fine. The only danger really is getting it caught and it ripping out (ouch).

Do you have anything written in your staff contracts / code on conduct, that might affect what he wears?

If you have a policy that states no jewelry would this cover the issue?

- I know one of checkout girls in out local supermarket has lots and I mean lots of facial piercings - but she wears skin tone 'tips' for want of a better word........ She's very friendly and chatty and you can only really see them when fully talking to her face to face.

xxx

If you had such a policy, would it hold water for a lad on work experience? I would see it as only applying to staff, not visitors. I could be wrong, but then if you accept him knowing he has these piercings have you the right to demand he take them out? You could point out to him they might be a danger to him if they were to get torn out while playing but I wouldnt feel happy asking him to remove them.

What is the intelligence on piercing-related accidents in pre-school? Does anyone know of anyone who has had their earrings ripped out by an overenthusiastic pre-schooler? Mind you my son has a nose piercing and he's always losing it. I suppose it would be one way of adding texture to the playdough. :o

I really don't know the answer to this LJW. If you have a jewellery policy then I think it has to be uniformly applied - but I'm not sure you can ask him to do something you don't ask everyone else.

Let us know what you decide!

Maz

Hi. Help needed please. We have been approached regarding taking a Year 9 boy on work experience placement. Whilst I'm generally happy to have this lad I am aware that he has several facial piercings, including his tongue. Do you ever ask anyone to remove piercings? Is this acceptable/legal etc. I guess I could ask him to wear small, non-decorative ones rather than the flashy coloured ones but I think I might be on dodgy ground.....

What would you do or say?!

I'm not an expert but I would say that if this young man's school are allowing the wearing of facial piercings then surely they must be safe. I was watching the news today (local news I think) and the report was on the need to recruit male practitioners in the early years. This seems like a good opportunity to engage the interest of this boy in the early years sector, it would be a shame for him to become dis-engaged because of his appearance. May also be a good opportunity to celebrate the differences between people. All this from someone who doesn't even have her ears pierced!! I hope my comments were useful.

:o

What is the intelligence on piercing-related accidents in pre-school?

Maz

I dont think torn out piercings is an issue even at gigs where there can be some pretty enthusiastic jumping around, so a pre-school should be easy peasy to contend with. :o

I think piercings would be a great talking point for the children.

One of our mums has her ears pierced all around the edge and when she came to help some of our boys got great pleasure in pointing out how yucky it would be if she fell over and all her earrings were pulled out. "There'd be lots and lots of blood and yucky stuff" one boy said, positively beaming!

Bloodthirsty lot!!! :o

I think piercings would be a great talking point for the children.

One of our mums has her ears pierced all around the edge and when she came to help some of our boys got great pleasure in pointing out how yucky it would be if she fell over and all her earrings were pulled out. "There'd be lots and lots of blood and yucky stuff" one boy said, positively beaming!

Bloodthirsty lot!!! :o

But what wonderful descriptive language! xD

Providing the jewellery worn would not prove a hazard, such as large hoop earring perhaps, I would think it would not be very inclusive to ask him to remove his piercings. The only exception to that would be if it were the rule for the staff, in which case I think he should understand that when working in a particular job one has to abide by company rules. An ex member of our staff had her nose pierced and while it was not to the taste of many of our parents it was accepted as being part of her. She was not a youngster either. The children rarely commented but if they did it was simply a case of "some people do, some people don't, but it is a decision you make when you are older". Certainly helped the children to be more accepting of differences.

I used to have a set of small and large "button" earrings, in various different colours

And I'd change them every day, and each day the children would come to have a look to see what colour they were that day :o

A few children still comment on my earrings, using great language to describe the shape and size etc!

I remember an LA advisor many years ago who used to come into school wearing the most garish necklaces and earings.The rest of her attaire was boring tweed twin sets. She had the nickname of Bet :o .I went on a course she ran once and she wasn't adorned. She explained she found wearing them the most effective way to be approached, accepted and start conversations with children in the many settings she visited. I looked at her in a new light from then on, she was the first advisor I'd met who seemed to put the children first above the position (this was early 80's)

I always try to wear eye catching jewellery and a butterfly necklace is a favourite with the children and I always wear a duck brooch with new entrants. I won't be adding to my piercings xD but many of our parents have body piercings so its the norm for the children.As long as H&S is covered!

She explained she found wearing them the most effective way to be approached, accepted and start conversations with children in the many settings she visited. I looked at her in a new light from then on, she was the first advisor I'd met who seemed to put the children first above the position (this was

And en masse the wimmin of the forum went out into the market place and bought colourful adornments with which to entice the children...

I am a student on placement and I have my tongue pierced!

My supervisor is ok with this and every now and again the children notice it,usually when I laugh. When they ask what it is (although some of them know without having to be told) I tell them its is an earring for my tongue and that you can only get one when you are 21 and all grown up!!

When they ask how it got in there, I tell them that it was "special magic" that only the man that gives you a tongue stud knows. It seems to satisfy their curiosity!

Did have my nose pierced as well, but my son did manage to knock it out a few times (he was around 4 I think) and the last time I never replaced it.

If you decide to let your student keep his piercings in, do warn him that it can be quite painful if they are knocked out, trust me I know!!! :o

Wow, thank you for all your interesting replies. You have really clarified the matter and I am now quite happy to take this lad on placement and feel confident that I know how to answer the comments that I am bound to get from our 'middle class' parents. I will also warn him about the pain factor and will also be very clear on how he is to answer any questions from the children about his piercings and how they got there.

Thank you everyone!!

We had a young workman in today who had a bright blue mohican with the rest of his head shaved.He didn't speak just kept walking through going the room about his business.The kids faces were a picture :o but only one said anything !!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)