Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs (foundation Stage) Reports

We have copied out each of the elements of the development matters for the ages of the children in our group and each child has one of these. (I did copy and paste from the disk - I didn't waste time typing them all) We have a box next to each 'criteria' and we note down something anecdotal from observations, eg. 'Luke picked up the pen by the whiteboard and drew some circles, he came and told me "that's my name", he was so delighted that he had written his name like the older children do' and then we date it. We might photograph him doing this and put that in too (on the computer). This would go next to the CLL Writing outcome for his age bracket 'examine the marks they and others use' or 'sometimes give meaning to marks as they draw and paint' etc. Then when the children leave we take out any 'criteria' that we haven't any comments for - they may have joined us well above the lower 'criteria' and we have no specific observations for them, or be leaving well before the later 'criteria' can be gained. The resulting document full of pictures and anecdotal observations is a fantastic record to give parents and was highly praised by Ofsted. It saved me the bother of writing reports last summer too! Parents loved them too!

Why do a report? If you are doing learning journals or similar you will be sharing them with parents - why do you need any more paperwork!???

Why do a report? If you are doing learning journals or similar you will be sharing them with parents - why do you need any more paperwork!???

I personally see the 'learning Journey as a 'formative assessment' of childrens progress, a celebration of all the little steps they are taking to becoming 'rounded individuals' It shows the 'process of the learning' and is much more indepth than a summative assessment. Parents tend to keep these as a keepsake to their childs preschool experiences, and these are too indepth for Parents to share with school teachers, as they cannot be expected to give these 'records' the time and credence they deserve as a form of information about a new child coming to their setiing.

The report sent to schools I personally see as a 'summative assessment', undertaken, in this instance at the end of a period within one setting, before moving to another. A 'summative assesment' doesn't have any intrinsic learning value as does the 'formative assessment' model (which can be revisited and valued over time). The report for school generates a 'reflection' or 'evaluation' of a childs performance to date, and as such becomes out of date as the child continues to progress within the new setting, as more formative assessments are recorded.

I hope that makes sense :o

Peggy

Yes it does, absolutely. Yes these 'Learning Journeys' are for the parents as they contain anecdotal information which parents will appreciate more than staff at school. As you say, such a record would rapidly become out of date at school, so the record, or report that we send to schools is a more concise overview of each child.

We use a system from http://www.jonesict.co.uk for all of our assessment. They have a great assessment tool and a digital version of the EYFS Framework.

It does cohort printouts and individual pupil reports which we use to give to parents.

Hope this helps

Si

Welcome to the forum, Si

I know Jones isn't exactly an uncommon name but are you connected with this company in any way? xD I must say it was cheaper than I was expecting, somehow.

Thanks for this - a welcome distraction from my EYPS written tasks! :o

Maz

It would be nice if I could get in to look at it!

After the flashy things stopped, so did everything else!

Been on the site today and it works fine on my PC. Email them if you have any problems. mail@jonesict.co.uk

Kent have now introduced and are training EY staff in the use of 'Creating My Unique Story'. This is a record of learning, development and well-being for each child, completed by the key-person, parent/carer and the child. A new 'sheet' is completed every 2 to 3 months and when the child moves onto school, the parent/carer is encouraged to give a copy of the final sheet to the school instead of a report or record of transfer.

To look at, they are like a summary of the child's Learning Journey. They appear to to be a useful tool, but of course demand more time from key-persons and more expense from settings in terms of allowing staff time to complete these on a regular basis, add photos to them, print, photocopy etc

The setting also completes an additional sheet when the child leaves, which is not shown to the parents unless they specifically request it, but sent directly to the school to give the school an indication of where the planning has been pitched for the child in each area of learning and development. It is not generally shown to parents as the LEA wants to avoid parents making comparisons between children.

I imagine schools will probably only look at the 'secret' sheet. I have concerns about 'hiding' this information with parents. I thought we were supposed to be fostering an honest partnership with parents. Surely they have a right to know how their child is progressing in comparison with others?

Use of these is not compulsory, but is considered to be best practice. Has anyone been on the training? If so what do you think?

I think many areas have developed their own books, or sheets, for recording the children's development/next steps/ learning journey/ how many other names can we have for same thing , but in our case it is optional and if we find our own method of recording that is fine too.. which is what we have done.. actually it takes no more time than before.. less in fact.as children help during the session with their own books, sticking things into them.

and each area is different when passing on information to other settings/schools giving their own formats etc.

we have been doing a transfer to school document which summarises where the child is currently for years now, set by LEA, completed by all settings so schools get the same info from all the different settings they receive children from.. makes life easier.. or supposed to.. in our case parents are encouraged to add to it, have their own space on the document and we are asked to encourage their input .. we feel this is right and agree that parents should be involved and know about any documents created about their child (unless there is a child protection issue which will put child at risk).

Calv I would certainly question the secrecy of it. particularly as you are unhappy with doing this.... as sharing with parents/ others is what EYFS is all about.. and not keeping info from them, they should know what is written about their own child. I would hate to think someone was writing about a child of mine and i had no knowledge of this.

Inge

• 8 months later...
here is what we currently use. Hasn't been updated yet but I dont anticipate much changes to it under EYFS

HTH Sorry I dont have one filled in to show

next_steps.doc

Hi Lynned55,

My colleagues had a question in regards to this section:

"Child’s comments – What have they enjoyed? What were they doing? What are they looking forward to?"

They found it would be easier for my 5 year olds to answer these questions, but more difficult for the younger ones, especially the 2 and a half and 3 year olds. Which age group do you have and how would you adapt it to younger children?

Thanks in advance :o

• 2 years later...

Dear All

Does anyone have a report version that is in a checklist format. I work in a private school and we currently write two full school reports per year. It is very time consuming. We are looking at ways of making it easier for staff to manage.

Ness

Dear All

Does anyone have a report version that is in a checklist format. I work in a private school and we currently write two full school reports per year. It is very time consuming. We are looking at ways of making it easier for staff to manage.

Ness

We use the PRAMS summary sheet and pass that onto the school. No complaints so far from the primary schools that children go onto.

I think having to write a report would put a lot of extra work on key persons, especially now all the children leave in September.

neither my colleagues or myself write a report , the learning journey are gvien to parents with a covering letter, working closely with the local feeder school gives us an opportunity for discussion and the teacher to see the children herself within the setting, she has stated that she does not need any report orassessments as she will reassess herself , I do add a settling in piece and an end piece in learning journey so that probably is enough . The only problem that may occur with this system is if a child attends another school

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)