Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Room Names

Welcome and hello from me too.   Naming rooms could depend on your surroundings or in the name of your preschool.  My previous preschool was named after an animal, so the younger end was just the name of the baby of that animal.  We just had two age block rooms.  

Trees can be good as they’re gender neutral, ash, oak, beech, birch, elm, etc.  you could even have seedlings and saplings for the younger end.   

I can’t think of a life cycle that breaks down into so many discrete parts, so, as Sunnyday suggests, maybe you could just keep it simple and just use the age band names to avoid any confusion and explanation of what they mean.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to new members 👋 

we are one room 2-5’s so never had to consider this but would go with something the chn would be familiar with, maybe a Safari animal for each, you could have a soft toy mascot for each room, and maybe a couple of smaller soft toys that get to spend time at home with the chn or go on holiday and send back photos to create an album 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Oh i do so loath a twee room name too...sorry.! although i do understand the need for identifying the groups. I like the idea of colours or animals, trees, flowers or toys this way they are gender neutral, non age defining not stereotypical etc . I've always been opposed to rooms that identify the age of the children caterpillar/cocoon/butterfly etc...makes me feel very uneasy but can't exactly tell you why! maybe something to do with age rather than stage. When we named ourselves for rainbows years ago we left it in the hands of the children (older of course) ...i think i ended up as something quite strange! 

My experience is school but I have had either trees or animals. If doing trees I’d recommend choosing ones that have distinctively shaped leaves.

With animals one school picked woodland animals as a theme. The other had whatever the teachers favourite was - it was very random!