Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advent calendar ideas

Froglet

Ok, huge apologies right now for mentioning anything festive but I promise I won’t use the actual C word. I could just do with your help…

Last year because the family couldn’t get together over the festive period I wanted to make it extra special. I created an advent calendar and wrapped 24 gifts which were then shared out between the three families. Each day one gift was opened and a video of the opening was shared in a cloud photo album I’d set up specially. It was lovely and we were in touch with each other every day of December. I still watch some of the videos - especially the one with my then 4 year old niece’s total bemusement at the seasonal cracker jokes.

Anyway, I decided that I’d like to do it again. Many of the gifts were things like mini Kitkat Santa’s. I also included scented candles, a DIY snowflake kit (folded paper), some hot chocolate sachets. My favourite was a package of cotton wool balls for an indoor snowball fight! This year many will be the same type of edible treat but I’m trying to come up with some quirky ideas for other days and any suggestions are gratefully  received! Day 1 is sorted - I’m. Making my nieces and nephew candy cane striped socks!

• Like 1

my friend is knitting santa hats for lindt chocolate balls, however, I think that crocheted ones would be neater - that Japanese style you do might be good (amiguri? sp)

Just thinking if you are videoing - or zooming - is there a way you might play Consequences, each family writes a sentence - sorry still forming that idea😂  how it could work  or a scavenger hunt type thing for the children to run and find 3 things and make a christmassy something from it.    Do you know what perhaps I'll go off and have an idea shower on my own😂

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Panders said:

my friend is knitting santa hats for lindt chocolate balls, however, I think that crocheted ones would be neater - that Japanese style you do might be good (amiguri? sp)

Just thinking if you are videoing - or zooming - is there a way you might play Consequences, each family writes a sentence - sorry still forming that idea😂  how it could work  or a scavenger hunt type thing for the children to run and find 3 things and make a christmassy something from it.    Do you know what perhaps I'll go off and have an idea shower on my own😂

Those are great ideas. I did a quiz last year which was hilarious - I wrote it thinking that we”d have a family zoom to do it together so chose questions to fit a range of ages. However mum and dad did it on their own and sent us the video…. Cue much hilarity as my mum was stunned by my dad knowing the name of the #nowman in Frozen. She’d forgotten that when my middle niece was about three she had chicken pox and he had to babysit for a day. She conned him into making her 4 mugs of hot chocolate and watching Frozen 6 times!

• Like 1

what about Christmas stories - each group could read their story to the others or make puppets props to accompany the story? 

For the children what about Christmas puzzle to complete?

Playdough - make something for others to guess?

Charades? 

Or am I going in the wrong direction? 

2 minutes ago, Cait said:

Make up some Christmas cracker jokes? 

Sounds like a task for FSF! 😉 I did put some cracker jokes in last year and had already decided to put some different ones in again. My youngest niece was hilarious - I wish I could share the video with you. She kept treating them as serious questions so What do you call Santa’s dog? was ‘Wellll… I would call him Elfie.’ Then when her dad said no and gave her the real answer she was totally bemused. Her mum and dad were crying with laughter and after the third one her thumb went in her mouth and was seriously put out! I feel that putting some in again would be an interesting developmental experiment!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Sounds like a task for FSF! 😉 I did put some cracker jokes in last year and had already decided to put some different ones in again. My youngest niece was hilarious - I wish I could share the video with you. She kept treating them as serious questions so What do you call Santa’s dog? was ‘Wellll… I would call him Elfie.’ Then when her dad said no and gave her the real answer she was totally bemused. Her mum and dad were crying with laughter and after the third one her thumb went in her mouth and was seriously put out! I feel that putting some in again would be an interesting developmental experiment!

'what do you get when you lay under a cow...a pat on the head'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizzas?
One that’s deep pan, crisp and even!

What did the sea Say to Santa?
Nothing! It just waved!

Why can’t Christmas trees knit?
Because they always drop their needles!

What goes ha ha ha clonk?
A man laughing his head off!

Why are pirates great?
They just aaaaaaarrrrr!

What do you call a deer who can’t see?
No eye-deer!

• Like 1