Jump to content
Home
Forum
Join Us
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Progress Check at Two


 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Hello everyone

Has anyone made any changes/amendments to your Two Year Check because of the revised EYFS?  Or are you carrying on as you were?

All seems very quiet on the forum lately, I hope everyone is ok 😊

Hi Stargrower,  it does doesn’t it? I think all the questions go in the fb group now.

I’ve changed ours by dropping aspects and the age bands/EDS (just the 3 prime areas) and adding concerns/no concerns to each area, we had already told our parents we would changing assessments to concerns/no concerns as Tapestry but we had a couple of not too happy parents because we’d recorded as ‘concern’ in an area so may need to look at the term we use again but I’m not sure what, I expect some will take offence what ever we use (additional support/not on track/intervention 🤷‍♀️,) I don’t think they quite understood the difference between E,D,S so didn’t seem as stark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Hi Stargrower,  it does doesn’t it? I think all the questions go in the fb group now.

I’ve changed ours by dropping aspects and the age bands/EDS (just the 3 prime areas) and adding concerns/no concerns to each area, we had already told our parents we would changing assessments to concerns/no concerns as Tapestry but we had a couple of not too happy parents because we’d recorded as ‘concern’ in an area so may need to look at the term we use again but I’m not sure what, I expect some will take offence what ever we use (additional support/not on track/intervention 🤷‍♀️,) I don’t think they quite understood the difference between E,D,S so didn’t seem as stark. 

Now I need to look at my wording, never had any comments though.

Just looked. We put-

Is the child meeting development milestones yes/no.   This is at the bottom- not for each area.

Edited by louby loo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we just do a short written statement and preferably a discussion with the parents. The EYA produce one if you wanted a formula. We just have a discussion with the parents covering anything they want to (plus the 3 areas from us) then we have a chat about any concerns....usually all the HV stuff (toileting/eating/sleeping etc) and record.....follow ups are then done by my senco if needed

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to look at ours today/tomorrow (probably tomorrow, ha ha!) so all your replies are helpful.

I have to say, although I love Tapestry and we have used it from the start, I'm worried about the term "concerns".  I think it could make it sound like we are worried about a child's development, when it could just be that we are keeping an eye, supporting etc.

I'll have a look at the EYA Progress Check, thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to look at ours today/tomorrow (probably tomorrow, ha ha!) so all your replies are helpful.

I have to say, although I love Tapestry and we have used it from the start, I'm worried about the term "concerns".  I think it could make it sound like we are worried about a child's development, when it could just be that we are keeping an eye, supporting etc.

I'll have a look at the EYA Progress Check, thank you.

I feel the same about ‘concerns’ but not sure what says it in a more parent friendly way…supported/no support?  Action/no action? But if we change it then it won’t tie up with Tapestry print outs anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, sunnyday said:

louby - for what it's worth (not a lot I know) I think I would use something like 'working towards/achieved' instead of yes/no

Good thinking.  

17 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

It is tricky because if there is a ‘concern’ you don’t want to sugar coat it as the point of the 2 year check is to raise potential send issues  🤔 

I would say  though, with our two year check we do try and bring any concerns up  informally with the parent well before we do the written check so nothing really comes as a shock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, louby loo said:

Good thinking.  

I would say  though, with our two year check we do try and bring any concerns up  informally with the parent well before we do the written check so nothing really comes as a shock.

We do, but I still think seeing it in black & white makes it more real for them.

If I’m honest I actually think the 2 yr check is the biggest waste of paperwork time we do, they’ve usually already had it with HV before starting with us but we still have to do one and if we have concerns we flag it with parents & HV anyway, the HV says the parent isn’t concerned and then what ever we think has no merit with the parent, we often get the same with Salt, we advice that a salt referral could support their child, parent  agrees to us submitting one, they have a phone call from the salt and salt tells us the parent isn’t concerned 🤷‍♀️  

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

We do, but I still think seeing it in black & white makes it more real for them.

If I’m honest I actually think the 2 yr check is the biggest waste of paperwork time we do, they’ve usually already had it with HV before starting with us but we still have to do one and if we have concerns we flag it with parents & HV anyway, the HV says the parent isn’t concerned and then what ever we think has no merit with the parent, we often get the same with Salt, we advice that a salt referral could support their child, parent  agrees to us submitting one, they have a phone call from the salt and salt tells us the parent isn’t concerned 🤷‍♀️  

Our were really good up until around 2019 when they cut all our area EY's Senco's - we used to have a fantastic one that always backed us up. Now it's a 0-25 Senco service and they really don't seem interested Early Years intervention-  😟

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

it says in the video you can take them off the printing list...is this not correct??

I don’t know FM, I’ll have a look….but what would I be printing if I took the concerns/no concerns part off 🤔 

edit: I had a play and you can just either export to pdf showing how many obs in each area and/or reflections added.

I just feel we’ve gone from having soooooo many screens to work with to one screen fits all, I’m not sure why when I export an individual guided screen it says ‘All children’ on the top, is there something I should be changing there too FM?

Edited by Mouseketeer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/08/2021 at 19:10, Mouseketeer said:

I don’t know FM, I’ll have a look….but what would I be printing if I took the concerns/no concerns part off 🤔 

edit: I had a play and you can just either export to pdf showing how many obs in each area and/or reflections added.

I just feel we’ve gone from having soooooo many screens to work with to one screen fits all, I’m not sure why when I export an individual guided screen it says ‘All children’ on the top, is there something I should be changing there too FM?

well i'm going to be no help here!! really haven't got my head round the tapestry part of my changes yet at all. I seem to be struggling a bit!! 

Have spent my morning reading all the statutory stuff to see if i can go back to basics and build from there! not really helping though😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

well i'm going to be no help here!! really haven't got my head round the tapestry part of my changes yet at all. I seem to be struggling a bit!! 

Have spent my morning reading all the statutory stuff to see if i can go back to basics and build from there! not really helping though😱

I think I’ve figured out how to use the ‘concerns’ screen, I’m more at a ‘do I want to?’ place, staff aren’t great at using the browser for anything, I’m thinking a sheet with the 7 areas down the left, 3 terms across the top (or maybe 6 half terms) and 2 columns under each term headed concern/no concern (or whatever we decide to call them) will do, staff can just record whether they feel the child needs support against any of the areas, it will be quicker and I won’t need to keep printing them off. Staff were worrying about how they’ll remember everything so I’ve created a sheet for each key group that they can add a key child, what their concern is, what they’re going  to do to support them etc it’s pretty basic but will do, I know I wouldn't be able to remember it all for 10 or 12 key chn so can understand why they are a little worried.

I’ve decided the changes from statutory framework that require policies updating can wait until I’m back at work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I think I’ve figured out how to use the ‘concerns’ screen, I’m more at a ‘do I want to?’ place, staff aren’t great at using the browser for anything, I’m thinking a sheet with the 7 areas down the left, 3 terms across the top (or maybe 6 half terms) and 2 columns under each term headed concern/no concern (or whatever we decide to call them) will do, staff can just record whether they feel the child needs support against any of the areas, it will be quicker and I won’t need to keep printing them off. Staff were worrying about how they’ll remember everything so I’ve created a sheet for each key group that they can add a key child, what their concern is, what they’re going  to do to support them etc it’s pretty basic but will do, I know I wouldn't be able to remember it all for 10 or 12 key chn so can understand why they are a little worried.

I’ve decided the changes from statutory framework that require policies updating can wait until I’m back at work. 

would you mind sending a copy of your form as sounds an ideal way to work rather than keep looking online etc., thank you x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I think I’ve figured out how to use the ‘concerns’ screen, I’m more at a ‘do I want to?’ place, staff aren’t great at using the browser for anything, I’m thinking a sheet with the 7 areas down the left, 3 terms across the top (or maybe 6 half terms) and 2 columns under each term headed concern/no concern (or whatever we decide to call them) will do, staff can just record whether they feel the child needs support against any of the areas, it will be quicker and I won’t need to keep printing them off. Staff were worrying about how they’ll remember everything so I’ve created a sheet for each key group that they can add a key child, what their concern is, what they’re going  to do to support them etc it’s pretty basic but will do, I know I wouldn't be able to remember it all for 10 or 12 key chn so can understand why they are a little worried.

I’ve decided the changes from statutory framework that require policies updating can wait until I’m back at work. 

ok ...i like this KIS! i agree my staff only use the app. Taking on board your idea (Stealing it!) i'm not sure about having all the areas as i don't want it to turn in to any sort of tick list ...so i'm thinking just keygroup concerns box and what support will be put in place for them. Reviewed each half term maybe??

concerns -no concerns sheet.docx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

ok ...i like this KIS! i agree my staff only use the app. Taking on board your idea (Stealing it!) i'm not sure about having all the areas as i don't want it to turn in to any sort of tick list ...so i'm thinking just keygroup concerns box and what support will be put in place for them. Reviewed each half term maybe??

concerns -no concerns sheet.docx 13.19 kB · 3 downloads

I just went on that if we used the Tapestry concern screen it would have the areas.

9EB3A950-3F07-42EB-9367-989256F5375D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I just went on that if we used the Tapestry concern screen it would have the areas.

9EB3A950-3F07-42EB-9367-989256F5375D.jpeg

we just have to find whats right for our settings don't we? i find myself constantly tweeking stuff....mine may not work ! 😂 quite liked the idea that we would do it by keyworker group though as that strengthens that bond which seems a big things in the framework,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

we just have to find whats right for our settings don't we? i find myself constantly tweeking stuff....mine may not work ! 😂 quite liked the idea that we would do it by keyworker group though as that strengthens that bond which seems a big things in the framework,

We do FM, I didn’t want anything on paper really but I also don’t want staff worrying that they won’t remember everything.


I have a different sheet for the key person to use for their group but that’s more if they have key chn needing support in an area/s, which I hope won’t be many. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)