Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ten core rhymes and books

blondie

Looking into having ten core books and rhymes that the children will know inside out and back to front by time they leave us.

Does anyone else do this, if so what are your top ten books and rhymes?

How do you work this into your story telling etc., 

ive been doing our list this week too but really can't decide final set

books 

3 little pigs and the 3 bears

going on a bear hunt

hungry caterpillar

Oi frog (i think) 

dear zoo

not decided on others and this might change! maybe gingerbread man or enormous turnip???

rhymes 

head shoulders knees and toes

if your happy and you know it

5 currant buns

wheels on the bus

twinkle twinkle

baa baa black sheep

...keep redefining this!!😂

• Like 1

Oooh what fun!

I would agree with fm for:

Bear Hunt, Oi Frog, Dear Zoo - I would add The Tiger who came to Tea, Whatever Next...

Again, agree with fm on:

Twinkle, Twinkle, Heads and shoulders, Happy and you know it and Wheels on the Bus - I would add Three little men in a Flying Saucer, Build a house and build it high...

9 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

i love the tiger who came to tea...but i worry it's a bit outdated now...Mum at home dad at work...dad drinks beer mum seen as the homemaker....

Ah, yes, you make a good point...

Still love it though and there is always so much to talk about with this story

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Blow - why can't we edit anymore?

I wanted to add 'Peace at Last'

feel this wasn't on my list because i read it so much to my 2!

BTW the DFE have just produced a document for schools called the foundations for literacy.....i am incensed! at no point does it mention anything before school...do they not realise that literacy starts at birth not at age 5 and the hand writing section  does not mention any GM skills prior to handwriting and apparently this should be done at desks.....  TBH is teachers don't know the information in this document already they shouldn't be teachers.....rant over!

• Thanks 1

I might add Handa's surprise to the list but it's again a bit stereotypical... i struggle to find good quality stories from other cultures. I really like the new Once upon a world versions of some classic tales with illustrations of children from other cultures....i might add Rapunzel to my list ...but only this version   

8 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

feel this wasn't on my list because i read it so much to my 2!

BTW the DFE have just produced a document for schools called the foundations for literacy.....i am incensed! at no point does it mention anything before school...do they not realise that literacy starts at birth not at age 5 and the hand writing section  does not mention any GM skills prior to handwriting and apparently this should be done at desks.....  TBH is teachers don't know the information in this document already they shouldn't be teachers.....rant over!

BTW core books are mentioned in this document

we are developing our system. At the moment we have these books out more regularly and revisit them as often as we can. Normally we just read it the first couple of times and then we start to 'mess around' with it! so we might wait for the children to finish the line....or whilst retelling it make deliberate mistakes (oh they SO love correcting me!) we might use spoons or puppets to retell it without a text, use story stones for children to get involved, act it out, change the endings, start to weave in other stories, put it in the environment with props to support independent 'reading' . The hungry caterpillar is a favourite for creating our own version (which we have written down at times) so changing what he eats ,,,,to what happens next and what he changes in to ! prediction of endings and imagination needed to stray from what they know! 

We have 2 story times a day and 1-1 stories too. we use small groups 2 a week to support those who are struggling or need extension ....sometimes inside, sometimes outside. So it isn't the same story in the same place with the same words. !! works really well for EAL and SEND students who need to learn vocab and also for those who can extend their ideas too. I thought it might be boring.....but really not if you mix it up a bit!

• Like 2

On 11/07/2021 at 15:34, finleysmaid said:

we are developing our system. At the moment we have these books out more regularly and revisit them as often as we can. Normally we just read it the first couple of times and then we start to 'mess around' with it! so we might wait for the children to finish the line....or whilst retelling it make deliberate mistakes (oh they SO love correcting me!) we might use spoons or puppets to retell it without a text, use story stones for children to get involved, act it out, change the endings, start to weave in other stories, put it in the environment with props to support independent 'reading' . The hungry caterpillar is a favourite for creating our own version (which we have written down at times) so changing what he eats ,,,,to what happens next and what he changes in to ! prediction of endings and imagination needed to stray from what they know! 

We have 2 story times a day and 1-1 stories too. we use small groups 2 a week to support those who are struggling or need extension ....sometimes inside, sometimes outside. So it isn't the same story in the same place with the same words. !! works really well for EAL and SEND students who need to learn vocab and also for those who can extend their ideas too. I thought it might be boring.....but really not if you mix it up a bit!

Absolutely!  Bear hunt is another one we often played with.   Peace At Last is a good one to change environments and let the children think about what sounds there might be.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I can vividly remember my then 3 year old nephew standing in a stool and proclaiming Bear Hunt to us which he’d clearly learned at nursery.

Has anyone come across the Pie Corbett reading spine - suggests core texts for different year groups (including nursery). https://shop.scholastic.co.uk/reading-spine

Another person to follow for more recent book suggestions (thinking about issues around diversity etc). Is Loll Kirby - on Facebook/Instagram as Gather and grow. She’s more school based but might well have some good ideas for younger children or at least know places to look.