Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books and numbers

Froglet

So, I was browsing pinterest as you do (the bread dough is rising, the tomato soup is simmering and the ironing is looking at me) and came across a book clock.  Like this one here:  https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/AQfPtxE_rr59nyodxd6QVBtWaVD1A__jfJOfzS1Tcy18gOIsy6S2CzY/

I was pondering whether it would be possible to do a children's version so started trying to come up with possible books to use.  So far I've managed 101 Dalmatians (!) and Five Children and It neither of which were quite what I had in mind so I thought I'd put it out there as a bit of a FSF challenge - can any suggest ideas for picture books that I could create a book clock out of?!

One Yellow Lion

by 
Matthew Van Fleet (Goodreads Author)
 4.17  ·   Rating details ·  86 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Every page contains a surprise in this active picture book, filled with countable, colorful critters to engage the very young. Each spread features a number word from one to ten, a color word, and an Arabic numeral, folding out to reveal one or more lively animals.  (bit too young really I think, but you haven't said which age group you are looking for)

A little more  tricky than I first imagined Froglet, no wonder you have put this out to the Brains Trust😂

Never heard of this one, but found it on line,   Two Frogs by  Chris Wormell

3 Little Pigs or various versions of this, i.,e 3 little robots (ours loved that)  or The Wolf and the 3 bad pigs (sure you know which one I mean)

Secret 7

Edited by Panders

Thanks Panders - it was much harder than I thought - definitely Brains Trust needed!  It was more that I liked the idea and wondered if it was possible and was thinking it would be a nice way to give my class (year 1) a reading goal - we currently have 'Can you read a rainbow?' where I've copied the covers of 7 books which are broadly each colour of the rainbow and put it up on the wall.  I used books that we had in school and it definitely increased interest.

To be honest, my next 'theme' for my classroom is around sunflowers/growing/art/sculpture - I'm aiming for my reading corner to be a reading garden.  We made a house for the 3 pigs last term out of large cardboard boxes and I'm wanting to turn that into a garden shed that they can read in (need to find some small torches - it's dark in there).  It was just that the clock idea intrigued me.

You had some interesting ideas - and my class love the Three little wolves and the big bad pig!

• Like 1

The Wolf and the 7 Kids (Grimms Fairy Tales)

The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Grimms)

Grimm seems to have a few numbers within his titles, but I doubt whether they would be  individual books these days.

How about Aesop's Fables - maybe choosing 12 of those for the children to read?

11 hours ago, Panders said:

The Wolf and the 7 Kids (Grimms Fairy Tales)

The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Grimms)

Grimm seems to have a few numbers within his titles, but I doubt whether they would be  individual books these days.

How about Aesop's Fables - maybe choosing 12 of those for the children to read?

Great ideas!  Maybe we should write our own story clock!

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

I'm going to look that one up!  Thank you!

It’s a lovely book!  All about how one owl calls ‘Twit’ and another replies ‘twoo’  It seems that a lot of folk think that tawny owls call ‘twit-twoo’ when actually that’s two owls, one responding to another.  

• Like 1