Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

phones in Early Years

Hi Everyone

We are currently wondering where to keep staff mobile phones as the staffroom will not be in use in September. I wondered if any settings had come up with a plan so that staff could access their phone during the day but would still comply with safeguarding needs.

Thank you

We are a term-time setting our phones are stored in kitchen on full display, but out of children's sight/ reach.

Our staff work different hours and all have either dependent children or elderly parents, and I feel times have changes so much (not just covid related)  that phone policies need to reflex individual settings.  Ours clearly sets out how and we why do what we do.

If we were a full time setting we would probably have a completely different policy.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your response. We are term time only too and also have staff working different hours. I agree with you that there needs to be a balance between staff welfare at this time and our safeguarding needs.

Thank you

We have just updated our policy.  Staff used to keep their phones with their bags, coats etc which are on pegs on a stairwell which is behind a door.  We have recently given each adult a pigeon hole in the staff room and they now keep their phones in their pigeon hole.  This wasn't anything to do with Covid, but because one member of staff was constantly checking her phone (unnecessarily, I think to check social media).  I used a "policy update" to solve this little problem!  In any case, it does make our practice more transparent. 

Sorry, that's probably not much help as you said our staff room is not in use!  Can staff give the setting number so they can be contacted in an emergency?

1 hour ago, Stargrower said:

Sorry, that's probably not much help as you said our staff room is not in use!  Can staff give the setting number so they can be contacted in an emergency?

This is exactly how it works in my setting

Oh and welcome to the forum

Could you place all phones in a box which is accessible in an emergency? We do this and the Manager / Lead counts to ensure all phones are in the box which is then placed out of sight / reach of the children but where any phone ringing would be heard?

The manage returns all phones at end of day.

All staff are asked to give the P/S number for people to contact in an emergency but this helps as in an emergency people would automatically call family member / carers phone.

It's just remembering to pick your phone up as you leave if you are on half day that is the problem.

6 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Can staff give the setting number so they can be contacted in an emergency?

4 hours ago, blondie said:

All staff are asked to give the P/S number for people to contact in an emergency but this helps as in an emergency people would automatically call family member / carers phone.

I think this is the issue with part-time staff working term time only.   In an emergency people need to ring the direct mobile number and not spend time searching for just where a person might or might not be at any given time/day.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I think this is the issue with part-time staff working term time only.   In an emergency people need to ring the direct mobile number and not spend time searching for just where a person might or might not be at any given time/day.

Oh yes, I can see that could be a problem.