Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sloppy Slogan?

I'm just about to do some laminated signage for when we go back "outdoors" post C19 ....and I have a real issue with "Catch it, Kill it Bin it!" because its saying something that doesn't happen..simply sneezing into a tissue (wiping or indeed coughing into etc etc) doesn't kill anything it merely (hopefully) contains it from passing on to someone else...the virus/bacteria whatever is there lives on in the tissue.    

One of the big issues we have probably all noticed during this whole saga is how ignorant people are about what a virus is, how it works and how we best protect ourselves from it...and lovely and catchy as the "preferred choice" of words is for us to instil good hygiene practices into our little tots....It's wrong!    It's misleading.......

Does anyone know of a better phrase or idea to use instead?   I have a bin specifically for the little ones to pop their tissue into after use and want to make a "tissue station" area and would like something to prompt a learning opportunity but "Catch it , Kill it, Bin it" really isn't something I want to use....(or am I just being a pedant? o.O

we would tend to use photos of the children in these situations i find if you wnat them to pay attention put a picture of themselves on the wall and they will take notice...posters may be effective for a couple of days but i don't find they keep attention for long. Not sure about any phrases except the old fashioned coughs and sneezes spread diseases

7 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

we would tend to use photos of the children in these situations i find if you wnat them to pay attention put a picture of themselves on the wall and they will take notice...posters may be effective for a couple of days but i don't find they keep attention for long. Not sure about any phrases except the old fashioned coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Its only because its in all the "return after Covid" official bumpf....they expect us to adopt...and I dont think I will!

My issue with this (amongst other things) is that i have a child returning who has become incredibly anxious about the whole germ thing. I'm not going to put anything up that doesn't need to be there and the children don't read (actually this one does!) and the parents aren't coming in. Ofsted aren't inspecting so who's going to know!B|

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, enuffsenuf said:

Its only because its in all the "return after Covid" official bumpf....they expect us to adopt...and I dont think I will!

just checking as i've read SO many gov documents...where does it say this? ...gone word blind!:bananas:

47 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

just checking as i've read SO many gov documents...where does it say this? ...gone word blind!:bananas:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings section on effective infection & Control Measures... point 3.

Re the gov docs I think there's more chance of me dying under an avalanche of paper at the moment all referring me to other bits of paper than there is of contracting Covid......sorry black humour is how I'm feeling at the moment ...swamped

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, enuffsenuf said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings section on effective infection & Control Measures... point 3.

Re the gov docs I think there's more chance of me dying under an avalanche of paper at the moment all referring me to other bits of paper than there is of contracting Covid......sorry black humour is how I'm feeling at the moment ...swamped

Ah yes sorry i had misinterpreted the post as in we had to have posters up etc....thank you and i absolutely understand the mountain of paperwork. I now seem to be producing my own mountain for our parents. Trying to give in small manageable lumps    not really succeeding!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enuffsenuf said:

Humour is what keeps us going - only yesterday my brother and I had a deep discussion about control measures within the setting.

We came up with the best way to handle a suspected case in a child would be quite simple really - three staff members each with a swimming pool cleaning net: staff form a triangle with the 'netted' child in the middle.... staff then manoeuvre the child out of the door when the parent arrives- all from a safe distance. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Humour is what keeps us going - only yesterday my brother and I had a deep discussion about control measures within the setting.

We came up with the best way to handle a suspected case in a child would be quite simple really - three staff members each with a swimming pool cleaning net: staff form a triangle with the 'netted' child in the middle.... staff then manoeuvre the child out of the door when the parent arrives- all from a safe distance. 

It will be like my favourite policy "The lost child policy" our aims...not to lose them.....I suspect if I have to write a C19 policy at the moment it may well say "we aim not to get it"  ...but I may patch in your netting idea in case!:bananas:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

louby - this is a genius idea and one that I think you could market xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, louby loo said:

There was me trying not to overthink things.  Now I need to put swimming pool net on the shopping list.  Perfect solution!

Can I ask what everyone is doing about staff lunch breaks, if you're in a setting who does this?

We usually have lunch cover staff who come in 12 - 3 while full time staff take their breaks, 12 - 1, 1 - 2, 2 - 3.  This happens in all three of our rooms.

But now we're not supposed to move staff from one bubble to another.  So in our Pre-school Room we will open with children split into two groups and I need both staff to have a break, but the staff covering can't cover one group, then the other. 

I am going slowly but surely round the bend!

Sorry I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread.  Told you I was going round the bend!

Edited by Stargrower
Posted in wrong thread

2 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Can I ask what everyone is doing about staff lunch breaks, if you're in a setting who does this?

We usually have lunch cover staff who come in 12 - 3 while full time staff take their breaks, 12 - 1, 1 - 2, 2 - 3.  This happens in all three of our rooms.

But now we're not supposed to move staff from one bubble to another.  So in our Pre-school Room we will open with children split into two groups and I need both staff to have a break, but the staff covering can't cover one group, then the other. 

I am going slowly but surely round the bend!

Sorry I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread.  Told you I was going round the bend!

I think we are all bog eyed and bambooozled......for those of you old peeps like me I feel like I'm participating in the Krypton Factor and this is the strategy test....

• Haha 1

On 27/05/2020 at 09:41, enuffsenuf said:

I know exactly how you feel. The main problem I have now is when someone asks me something or I want to find the answer to something, that I know I have seen somewhere- I need to go through umpteen documents to find it!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)