Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

advice please......senario for under 5's

twinthinguk

scenario.......its Tuesday and little Joey has been in his group for a week, 8 children and two staff. He begins to show signs of not being very well. First aider takes his temperature and its a little high but he currently has no other symptoms such as a cough.  He obviously needs to go home now. The guidance is followed and he is collected by a parent. They have said they will ring 111 and follow the isolation rules.

What do we do? we have no idea if he has Covid, staff are worried and he is under 5 so unless he becomes very unwell and hospitalised, won't be tested. Do we just carry on and open tomorrow or are all the children and staff in that group off to isolation for a week? or 14 days? do we wait to see how he is and get updates from family before letting other parents know????

I have read so much guidance, my brain has literally melted and confusion has set in!

these are the type of questions staff have.......what would you do????

I will say until they get a test they can't return but the bubble and staff that was in Joey's bubble can  (having 2 staff per bubble is what I will also do) - if Joey tests negative he can return, if he tests positive he will have to stay off for 7 days and his bubble 14 (and if joey had a sibling in a different room/area that bubble would also have to isolate for 7 days).

My big worry is, hayfever season.....babies....how soon before we are actually sending a child home because they have a high temperature - but just that, a high temperature because of the weather, teething.....rather than the virus

2 hours ago, twinthinguk said:

I have read so much guidance, my brain has literally melted and confusion has set in!

these are the type of questions staff have.......what would you do????

I know what you mean about so many different guidance docs

You need 'Planning guide for early years and childcare settings' part 4

Hope that helps:)

Thanks everyone,  I have just posted a welcome back video for children explaining the changes, now relying on parents to watch it with their children so they can answer any questions they have.  I suppose we won't really know if our plans work well until we hit the ground running on June 1st. Until then, all I can do is help prepare the parents and children the best I can.

I am saying they can take a test and of its negative come back.....or if the dont get a test be off for 14 days (child 7 days others in house non symptomatic may develop later) so I am doing what i was doing before lockdown essentially unless they can give me evidence of a negative test...

• Like 1

Me too, if child A is sent home with symptoms no one else needs to stay home unless child A is tested positive or anyone else in child A’s bubble shows symptoms ....or that’s my understanding of the EY guidance, even if they can get tested I guess any result won’t be instant .