Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Games Room - Pub Quiz Hand Outs - all welcome

Mouseketeer

New one (I hope this works).  These are all imaginary places.

1. A celebratory meal in this place included earth "a rich brown loam that looked almost exactly like chocolate...[then] an earth of the kind you see in Somerset, which is almost pink...At the cheese stage they had a chalky soil, and then went on to delicate confections of the finest gravels powdered with choice silver sand."

2. This place is perched high on a mountain-top, overlooking a great black lake.  It has 142 staircases.

3. This place is ten miles long and five miles wide, off the coast of Mexico.  It has a natural harbour with cliffs in the south west and sandy beaches in the north.

4. A place in a deep, sheltered valley, it was founded by a Lord and was a safe place for a group.

5. A mellow brick building next to a river.  Extremely comfortable.  A very enthusiastic owner.

6. A small village named after an important boundary.

7. Somewhere underground where there are some memorable eating experiences.

8. This place is in the barren regions of icy-cold Finland.  At its heart is a frozen lake broken into a thousand pieces.

9. A very haunted place, filled with mystery and spirits.

10. The directions to this place are vague but beautiful.

11 hours ago, Froglet said:

Sorry everyone, I was trying to give people something to get their teeth into and I went a bit too far!  I've added a little more to each clue.

1. A celebratory meal in this place included earth "a rich brown loam that looked almost exactly like chocolate...[then] an earth of the kind you see in Somerset, which is almost pink...At the cheese stage they had a chalky soil, and then went on to delicate confections of the finest gravels powdered with choice silver sand."  This happens at the end of the third book in the chronicles in which there are 7 books.  Some other locations in this world include Lantern Waster and the bridge at Beruna.

2. This place is perched high on a mountain-top, overlooking a great black lake.  It has 142 staircases.  You arrive there by train from a mysterious (and confusing starting point)

3. This place is ten miles long and five miles wide, off the coast of Mexico.  It has a natural harbour with cliffs in the south west and sandy beaches in the north.  Male author whose name always makes me think of trains.  Throw in a pirate or two!

4. A place in a deep, sheltered valley, it was founded by a Lord and was a safe place for a group of 'people', some tall, some small, some with hairy toes and some with pointy ears.

5. A mellow brick building next to a river.  Extremely comfortable later invaded by some residents of a wood.  A very enthusiastic owner who has passions for different things and escapes prison in disguise.  Three other characters in the story  and it starts with one of them expressing his exasperation with spring cleaning.

6. A small village named after an important boundary.  On the other side of the boundary is the land of Faerie where there are 7 princes and the main character searches for a fallen star.

7. Somewhere underground where there are some memorable eating experiences.  The heroine is very curious and gets curiouser and curiouser throughout the story.

8. This place is in the barren regions of icy-cold Finland.  At its heart is a frozen lake broken into a thousand pieces.  A little girl goes to rescue her friend from this place.  A modern film based on this story has a song that everyone just would not let go.

9. A very haunted place, filled with mystery and spirits.  Excellent horse rider especially given that he can't see.

10. The directions to this place are vague but beautiful.  No grown ups or pirates wanted!  

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

5. From Wind in the Willows?

Yes

9 minutes ago, louby loo said:

8 - I did think frozen, but haven't a clue what the place is called.

Original author was Hans Christian Andersen

18 minutes ago, louby loo said:

My brother used to read me his stories when I was little :)  We had a lovely illustrated book-which was old even then.

We had a beautiful copy, this story was illustrated on the cover, I have no idea where the book went to.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Toad hall :)

Congratulations! 

19 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

6. Is driving me completely mad - I know that I know it :ph34r:xD

I’ll let you go a little madder! Was a lovely film as well as a book.

Edited by Froglet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

No 1 is a complete mystery to me :D great idea for a game young froglet - good to exercise my one remaining brain cell xD

I think people will kick themselves over number 1!  I have a dictionary of imaginary places given to me by my sister, it's lovely to dip in and out of.

Oh and I just have to say that Wind in the Willows has one of the best picnic scenes in a book and I absolutely love the part where moley returns home and ratty helps him set his home to rights and welcome the mummers.  Oh and the part where badger looks after mole's poorly foot (I have a print of that one on my living room wall!)

Edited by Froglet

On 03/05/2020 at 13:45, sunnyday said:

My excuse for not getting any is that I have been busy planting out petunias :)

Ooh I hope they're okay in next week's cold snap!  Keeping mine in the warm a bit longer yet - mind you, I'm in North Yorkshire so ........