Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rice play

Hi. Could I get an insight into provisions policies and procedures on rice play. On many forums and groups, practitioners use dried rice in play which is plain or coloured. We have been advised that we remove rice from our provision for all ages as it is not suitable for any child to play with due to the potential risks it can present.

The only time I've heard rice can be a risk, is when it is reheated after being cooked and not cooled quickly. This allows for a type of fungus spore (or similar!) to develop and this is dangerous to eat. 

Dry rice shouldn't be an issue, nor should coloured rice, if the colouring was added when cold. 

Can't find any kind of guidance stating otherwise either so would be interested to hear if you have anything official. Could it just be another 'can't use toilet rolls' myth? 

I can find no evidence to say playing with rice is dangerous. There are issues when cooked and there may be other issues surrounding the ethics of using food. Can I ask who said this and for what reason?

We play with rice often ..flows well and can be coloured easily. Cheap when buying basic too

We love rice play, so many learning opportunities. It makes a change from water or sand. The only problem we face is when it gets into afro hair. It's a devil to extract. We've never been told not to use it. Comments were made by an EY advisor about using raw veg for printing. Apparently soil is a contaminent. :/

On 28/10/2019 at 20:25, Chelledam said:

Hi. Could I get an insight into provisions policies and procedures on rice play. On many forums and groups, practitioners use dried rice in play which is plain or coloured. We have been advised that we remove rice from our provision for all ages as it is not suitable for any child to play with due to the potential risks it can present.

Just wondering how you were getting on with this? Who gave you this advice? ??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)