Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Schedule of growing skills

Looks interesting, although the prices and availability might be different as that's 2012 edition.    I'm sure I used to have a Schedule, back in the day.   I'll have a poke about, although I suspect it may have been on the hard drive that died ......

Thanks both. We have a child who has been assessed on the SOGS11 development chart by a paediatrician . His assessment is VERY different from ours and I wondered how that had happened! (he is going to reassess after our intervention!!) Would be great to do the assessment in our setting and see where she comes out!!

I think I have an old SOGS form somewhere but it would be an old paper copy.  We don't have any dealings with Health Visitors any more and they were the ones who mainly used SOGS in our area.  We used to find that their scores were different to ours, but then they made their assessments in a very short space of time so only got a little snapshot of where they child was developmentally.

51 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

I think I have an old SOGS form somewhere but it would be an old paper copy.  We don't have any dealings with Health Visitors any more and they were the ones who mainly used SOGS in our area.  We used to find that their scores were different to ours, but then they made their assessments in a very short space of time so only got a little snapshot of where they child was developmentally.

If you find it i'd love to see it!! (maybe scan and send??)

I think when I next speak to him i'll ask for a copy...can't really see how he can have got it SO wrong unless she is not able to transfer skills to our setting...which might be a possibility but she doesn't do them at the childminders either!

I do wish professionals would contact us before they see these children ...then they would know why we are concerned!

Does anyone else get asked for info BEFORE an appointment????

• Sad 1

That’ll be a no from me, we are expected to pass information left, right and centre but constantly chasing updates from others....whether HV team, Salt reports and even children’s services...I was asked to join a phone meeting for one of ours (following suspected none accidental injury) I was contacted 15 mins before and asked to get together a report and email across before, which I did but it took me 6 weeks of constant phone calls and emails to Cs’s get anyone to give me an update on the situation even though we see the child more than anyone, thankfully the HV was able to give me some details but how poor is that? 

This is a link to the ‘ASQ’ assessments I know ours and a few other counties use, they are in different age bands, It is possible to find the electronic version you can complete and it generates the scores for each section (i’ll try and find it) it would make sense if we were asked to complete these as well as the parent....they would give a very different outcome some times.

http://www.southernhealth.nhs.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=99674&type=Full&servicetype=Attachment

http://www.southernhealth.nhs.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=99677&type=full&servicetype=Inline

online calculator: https://agesandstages.com/free-resources/asq-calculator/

Edited by Mouseketeer

Thanks for those . Our HV's use the first one but i've never seen the 30 month one. Interesting that there is NOTHING about how they relate to others!!

This is a child who when something (and we don't always know what!!) 'upsets' her she will cover her eyes tightly and walk across the room to get a tissue!!!! She has only a few independent words but has learnt phrases like saying "Thank you xxx see you later" to the crossing patrol lady which she says with clarity!! She can hear a song one day and repeat the words the next but is unable to have any conversation with a peer....She has been toilet training for 3 months and is still not able to go by herself but when asked will 'perform' on cue . She is mostly quiet but then will suddenly come right up to your face and giggle LOUDLY (that's quite scary!!!!) . She is a very interesting little one!! like no other child I have had before . She has been in childcare since she was born and spends very little time with her parents...we have now gone back to real basics this week and are doing all the baby play like peek a boo etc which seems to be having an effect. So it was a bit strange when the paediatrician said he wasn't worried.....having spoken to us he is now!!! and has brought forward his review.It does show how easily these questionnaires can be skewed though....and that's a professional doing it. 

• Like 2

I do agree obviously they need to get information from the parent but ask us to so they have an all round picture,  our parents to agree to Salt, they have a first initial phone call and say they can understand them and that’s the end of that :-( 

this is the 36m + http://www.southernhealth.nhs.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=99683&type=Full&servicetype=Attachment

and still lacking in social interaction,  listening/ responding, toileting questions :-( 

Haven't seen that one either!! thank you...just thinking about this little girl there are things that she can do on there but lots that she can't too. The say and repeat ones are a bit odd as she would be a yes for that as she is quite echolalic !! and remembering verbal sequences is an ability she has (she knows all the numbers in order but cannot use them and has learnt the alphabet but has no connections to phonics and is now unable to shift her thinking) her fine motor skills are way above where I would expect but her gross motor skills are awful! she still struggles to walk down 3 steps ! There seems to be no pattern to her learning at all ! I do think a lot of it is exposure or should I say lack of exposure to any normal childhood things. The first time we took her to the park was revealing . :( 

• Sad 1

On 16/03/2019 at 12:31, finleysmaid said:

If you find it i'd love to see it!! (maybe scan and send??)

I did find it but it was only a score sheet, without the questions, so completely meaningless.  If I find a more complete one, I'll let you know.

5 hours ago, MarshaD said:

Our health visitors do their two year checks like speed dating in large groups. So if a parent says everything is fine they take their word for it - and we’ve all had parents who say things are fine when they really aren’t!

And they definitely won’t admit to any concerns in front of other parents...how odd

Ours do a 2yr check (though sometimes we have to remind them a child hasn’t had one) and then a phone call at about 3yrs, I’m sure it would be better the other way around, as you say they just accept what the parent says even when we have already flagged a concern, once the HV says ‘age appropriate’ they don’t want to listen to us even when still presenting with our original concern 18months later :-( 

• Like 1

one of our boys had some major concerns raised by the HV's 18 months ago.....and they noted it and told the parents to do x/y and z none of which has been done and none of which has been followed up! So when they got to us we've had to step up the pace quite quickly as it is up to the parent to make these appointments we still are no further forward. Hoping that some persistent reminding works or I fear I may have to refer this as a case of neglect:(

I realise the HV's are stretched (aren't we all) but if they are going to do these checks at least do them properly and sort out a system of following up concerns. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

It does sometimes feel like we have to do everyone’s job for them...remind HV’s they said they’d review or refer and even that someone is not on their system, chase Salt reports and even chase outcomes from safeguarding issues :-( 

we border 3 counties...1 does all their 2 yr checks 1 does hardly any and the other is about 50/50 ...beginning to wonder who checks the HV's??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

It does sometimes feel like we have to do everyone’s job for them...remind HV’s they said they’d review or refer and even that someone is not on their system, chase Salt reports and even chase outcomes from safeguarding issues :-( 

Our HV just sent all the forms over to us to do as it was a refugee family and she 'couldn't make the parent understand" !  I said no- we would do it together. should add this is the only contact we have had with any HV in around the last 8/10 years.

• Sad 1

Oh my louby loo, that’s a long time...at least we have contact with ours even though it’s all one sided, it’s funny how we often get overlooked until it’s a game of ‘pass the paperwork parcel’, especially when it comes to the EHCP hot potato and we’re suddenly the ones in the best position to complete them.

FM we only border one county and have enough of a problem working out which county to contact for what depending on either where they live or where they go to their provider...that seems to change depending on who you ask.