Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Management issues

Hi, I was wondering how many roles managers take on and how manageable it is. I took over as manager of a committee run playgroup 2 years ago and have been gradually making changes as it is a well established setting with staff who have been here a long time. As well as being manager I have key children and am the DSL and senco O.o It's a bit much tbh but the other staff members are reluctant to take on other roles. Also how often do other settings have visits from LA's? Thankyou!

• Sad 1

• FSFRebecca changed the title to Management issues
17 minutes ago, playgroup18 said:

Hi, I was wondering how many roles managers take on and how manageable it is. I took over as manager of a committee run playgroup 2 years ago and have been gradually making changes as it is a well established setting with staff who have been here a long time. As well as being manager I have key children and am the DSL and senco O.o It's a bit much tbh but the other staff members are reluctant to take on other roles. Also how often do other settings have visits from LA's? Thankyou!

Hi, I've just moved your post into the management area as you'll get more help, ideas and support from there :D

It sounds like you have got an awful lot on your plate - First off, is it wise to be the only DSL? You need to have other staff as Deputy DSLs so that they can take the lead if there is an incident or disclosure when you are not there. Also, it is best practice to have more than one in case the person to whom a disclosure is made or about whom an allegation is made is you - you could not act objectively if you are personally involved.

I think the frequency of LA visits very much depends on how worried they are about you, about how soon your next inspection is and about how many advisors they have available in your area. They should be able to offer phone support at the very least and I would be telling them of you concerns and queries. 

Good luck :) Keep talking to us, we're here listening x

Thankyou so much, we do have a deputy DSL so that's covered. I had a visit about 8 months after I'd started but nothing since but I do have amazing support from my SEN advisor. I do feel like i'm just about keeping my head above water sometimes so will definitely keep talking!:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Hi, I've just moved your post into the management area as you'll get more help, ideas and support from there :D

Hi, I could have written your post.  I'm a new manager and trying to make some much needed changes but i'm beginning to feel burnt out after only a couple of months.  Partly because I can be impatient to implement the changes needed but mostly as understaffed and one member is reluctant to take on responsibility.

Hi playgroup18, that is a big ask, I am not in ratio (unless covering absence & some lunch cover or off site activities) I have no KC anymore unless they join us late from another setting and have transition info already or I pick up if someone goes off say on Mat leave, I am DSL but not Senco (though do a fair bit of SEN paperwork), are you in a position to pay a small increment to someone to take on the senco role? It might help with ‘persuading’ someone to take it on, do you also deal with the business side of things or do you have someone else dealing with that? 

Manager, in ratio everyday, key person, SENCO, DSL, administrator.  And everything else!  I literally do everything, the committee do fundraising and I have backed away from that now and told them it’s their job!  It’s exhausting but it’s just the way it is.

This is the first term I have not had keychildren but do everything else, I do however, have deputy Senco and DSL and try to delegate tasks such as checking Tapestry obs etc - the workload is massive, I own my setting so do the wages, accounts etc but feel happier knowing I know exactly what's going on - I have been criticised for not delegating enough 

s

• 2 weeks later...

Yes same here. Owner, manager, DSL, SENDco, teacher, key person, pay clerk, administrator and increasingly plumber - because I am the only one who can pick up the plunger. Seriously I was on training Thursday toilet was blocked so they just locked the door and left it for me. I am drowning to say the least. I also know that Mrs O is not far from the door. I have a deputy but in the ‘them and us’ scheme of things she is definitely ‘theme’. I feel very alone sometimes. Additionally because I am clearly bonkers. I’m taking on another site. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarshaD said:

Yes same here. Owner, manager, DSL, SENDco, teacher, key person, pay clerk, administrator and increasingly plumber - because I am the only one who can pick up the plunger. Seriously I was on training Thursday toilet was blocked so they just locked the door and left it for me. I am drowning to say the least. I also know that Mrs O is not far from the door. 

Same here..... AND I'm the only one that can tighten the ru***y loo seat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

I seem to be the only one who will sweep the entrance, no matter how many leaves pile up!🤣

...or tighten a screw or stick the poster back up that’s fallen down or put the game piece back in the box or empty the Hoover when it no longer sucks or change a battery >:(

• Like 3