Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'May contain nuts'

Hi all

We have a dilema in the baby room, a parent wants their child to have a certain oat cereal. the cereal is healthy, has no junk, requires very little effort on the staffs part. But the ingediants (as always) says 'may contain nuts'

We also have a baby in that room with a nut allergy with an epi pen. That child is off so can't gauge his mum's reaction on the matter till next week.

If we were to eliminate this cereal then really we need an overhall of all foods bought or delivered to us as many packets do say that dreadded phrase. Or is that too exteme?

Any thoughts?

As a coeliac, aware of the ramifications of contamination, I'd want to know what foodstuffs were likely to come into contact with me, or in this case, the child.  Given that the child needs an epipen, it would seem safe to assume a fairly high level of sensitivity, but is this to airborne contaminants, or ingested contaminants? 

I think you need to ensure that the 'May contain' foods are eaten as far away from this child as you can until you have the chance to speak to the parent about what they want you to do.  You could telephone her to raise your thoughts with her.  

You need to organise a proper written care plan with the parents, so that they can be reassured that their wishes are being taken seriously.  This will mean that your staff will know exactly how to deal with questions like this in the future.

• Like 1

Hi Tinytowners,

I though I would reply, as I have had my first experience with a severe nut allergy, and thought it might be of some use. What are the serious chances of your allergy child getting hold of the other food, putting it in their mouth and potentially going into anaphylactic shock? That responsibility of ensuring the EpiPen is used correctly, an ambulance is called quickly, and in all seriousness- the child doesn't suffer some permanent side effects, or worse even death, is on you and your staff.                                                                                                          I personally didn't take the risk, and although it was tough to begin with, all parents completely understood, and were more than happy to ensure their food was nut free. The child has moved up now, and on guidance from our local nurse, we are able to have foods that 'may contain nuts' but we still remain nut free. Hope this helps x

• Like 1

I think a care plan is key to this.  You need to know how severe the nut allergy is and as Cait says, if the child has an epipen it would seem that he/she is at risk of anaphylaxis.  We ask parents to complete a care plan which we then type up to ensure it is clear and legible.  Everyone involved in the care of that child reads the care plan and knows where it is kept.   In this situation, we would definitely become nut free.

Hi TinyTowers - completely agree with post from paula - I have also worked with an extremely 'allergic' child - to me this is a 'no brainer' - I would completely eliminate any food that 'may contain' - the risks to me are just far too high

Good luck with it all

• Like 1

Agree with Sunnyday. We haven't even got any children with nut allergy at present but we still keep the whole setting completely nut free - no ifs/no buts. Also (sounds harsh I know - but that's me!) I wouldn't change or add a certain type of cereal anyway. Menu is what it is, there's something for everyone on it as far as we're concerned!  

23 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

oh dear my poor birds wouldn't get any food if I was that strict!!!:ph34r:

We do get a few parents who are concerned that their child is not going to eat as there is food on the menu they 'don't like' and those who tell us their children are 'picky/fussy eaters' but guess what? within a few weeks of being here, they are eating exactly the same as everyone else (I haven't had one starve in the last 25 years anyway!!) Obviously we cater for dietary requirements such as vegan/gluten free etc - anything medical. We don't have to worry about halal etc as we are a vegetarian nursery. Also (this makes me sound even more strict) we don't allow parents to bring any sweets, cakes or anything when it is their child's birthday.   

• FSFRebecca changed the title to 'May contain nuts'