Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Committee email account

I was given an action to complete at a recent visit and being a complete technophobe I have no idea how to do it and wondered if anyone can help me.  Due to the GDPR I need to set up a secure email account that all my committee members can use to share committee stuff!  Any advice on how to do this would be most appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 🙂

Hi Zigzag, I don’t have the answer to that but will be interested to know, at the moment I just add their own emails to an email group called committee 18-19, we also have a group chat on fb for the little ‘don’t forget’ type things, it’s the ‘un-giving’ of access to group things when someone leaves that I’m never sure about if all are using the same log in. We use a staff onedrive account that we can all access using the same log in, my plan would be to change the password if someone leaves so the same type thing I guess? Sure someone with techy knowledge will come along and help :-) 

out of interest who gave you the action ....and can you delegate to a committee member to sort it? 

Thanks Mouseketeer.  It was a quality inspection from the LA.  I did say at the time that actually the committee does not communicate or share things by email.  Minutes are printed out and given to members and any fundraising is discussed if needed on the parents messenger page.  But I had the follow up call the other day and was questioned if it had been completed or not.  In the interest of being totally GDPR compliant it is something that I think we should do as it has been discussed.  

As for this word delegation, what is this you speak of?  I am not very good at delegating, not a good trait I know but I like to know things are done, I might break a habit of a lifetime and ask though, we have a very pro active new member so may be worth a shot.😉

I like the ‘does not communicate’ lol sounds like mine, I’m not sure we have anyone left to carry out ‘quality audits’, (am beginning to wonder what the top slice of our funding is being spent on) but would be surprised they felt that was their remit if it was suggested. I suppose the thinking behind it is people who use shared emails (not that I get that) I ask my committee to confirm they are their personal emails and not accessed by family members (not that anything of any importance or includes personal details would be emailed).

Give the delegating a go...you never know, school staff often have the same @school type emails with separate passwords, so i’d think it’s a case of pick a provider and set email accounts, everyone will have the same first use password but have to change at first log in to their own, let us know how it goes.

Hi zigzag - similar story here (not committee run) but it is now necessary to have a separate email to my personal one - no help though - one of my daughters-in-law set it up for (do you want to borrow her?xD) - now in the process of thinking about who I need to notify of this new email address (note - I am only thinking about it)

• Like 1

I think you can set up a gmail account fairly easily.  Otherwise if you have bt as your provider they let you have multiply email accounts.

Definitely the right thing to do and display for parents /staff in case they want to contact committee directly. Checking the email can be carried out by the secretary. 

Define "Secure email account". I suspect what the local authority want is comfort that emails that reside on various devices can't (easily) be read by third-parties. So: password protect any phones (or use fingerprint control) and configure them to request the credentials after, say five minutes. Encrypt all data on your laptop using (for example) BitLocker, and have a secure login system. Demonstrate that devices when not being used are protected by locks, and, preferably, burglar alarms. Just tinkering with email addresses isn't going to to be sufficient.

Edited by amarrian
typo
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hi zigzag - similar story here (not committee run) but it is now necessary to have a separate email to my personal one - no help though - one of my daughters-in-law set it up for (do you want to borrow her?xD) - now in the process of thinking about who I need to notify of this new email address (note - I am only thinking about it)

I know it makes sense but the thought of making everyone you deal with aware of a new email is daunting and even worse knowing half will totally ignore that you’ve given then a new email :-( 

I don’t know about you zigzag but i’ve gone for a lie down in a darkended room 😝 

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)