Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Extreme Weather Policy

Hi there, I am looking for some advice in producing an Extreme Weather Policy. We are situated in a hall and I have had a couple of parents approach us on opening the doors 15 minutes early to stand in the warm as it is so cold outside. This has also happened on rainy days. The parents in question take older siblings to a local school that open at 8.55, within 5 minutes they are at our setting and therefore wanting to come in. As much as I understand the parents concerns about waiting in the extreme cold/ rain it does of course have implications for us as a setting. We are a pack away setting therefore staff would not be with the parents and children in the lobby area, as we are setting up in the main hall. We have had a couple of incidents with parents (not currently at our setting) with disputes with each other in front of other parents waiting, making it very awkward for other parents.

I feel I need some advice on a definition for parents clarifying an extreme weather policy that would be put in place in case we have to close etc, to what I feel the parent is really wanting as an early entry policy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I of course want to keep parents happy but ensure the safe running of our setting and all children, staff and parents.

Many thanks in advance.

My first thoughts are tell them to ‘get over it, Schools aren’t going to let you in Early when you get there’   :ph34r:

Not  helpful I know, I’m sure more sensible grown up answers will follow, we used to let ours into the cloakroom whenever they arrived but we had so much moaning about the size of it that we only let them in at collection time now as that’s in different shifts. 

Hi EmmaEmily and welcome to the forum

I am not known for grown up sensible answers as per Mousie's description :D

I'm not really sure that I understand the problem - I am happy to let parents and children into the entrance area at my setting, I wouldn't want them to be out in the cold and rain - I don't consider that to be 'early entry' they know they can't enter the pre-school room....

Sorry, not much help really

• Like 1

Do you have  a 'zero tolerance' policy for adult behaviour ?  this could be your starting point.

If it's really bad weather we do let ours into the lobby, we just shut the door on them and carry on setting up though :D

I agree with Sunnyday (I usually do! :)).  I would just let them into the lobby/cloakroom.  If parents really aren't behaving themselves I would deal with it in the same way as I would if they did in the children's rooms.  I

13 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

My first thoughts are tell them to ‘get over it, Schools aren’t going to let you in Early when you get there’   :ph34r:

Not  helpful I know, I’m sure more sensible grown up answers will follow, we used to let ours into the cloakroom whenever they arrived but we had so much moaning about the size of it that we only let them in at collection time now as that’s in different shifts. 

We also have a very small cloakroom.  We do let parents in there but they know that the door to the playroom is not opened until 9am! In response to complaints and moaning about the small cloakroom we challenged parents to raise some money towards the cost of putting a canopy outside the main door.  Lets say that a 'token amount' was raised.

Maybe you could think about a policy to cover parents/adults behaviour - what is unacceptable and the outcomes if it happens? 

• Like 1

We have a pretty big canopy as well, we now have a policy that says we accept that new, younger, upset children may need their parents to come in but as part of promoting independence older chn are expected to come in by themselves, change shoes and hang up coats, we register all at the front door and have enough staff to help in the cloakroom if needed and in the play room as they move through, lots of parents in a questionnaire said it works better.

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)