Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthday beer clues

Froglet

A plea for help from you lovely creative forum people.  It's my dad's birthday on New Year's day and he is notoriously difficult to get presents for.  So, this year I have gone for an old favourite - a selection of beers/ales (I don't drink so have no idea whether I'm using the right name! ;)) with a variety of interesting names.  As it will be pretty obvious what they are and also because he's a lover of puzzles of all kinds I thought I'd attach a tag to each wrapped bottle with a clue to what's inside and the instruction that he can only open it if he can solve the clue.  I'm thinking of things along the lines of "Ancient and strange" for Old Peculier but I'm open to any ideas.  If I was clever enough I'd number them and then create a crossword puzzle for him but I think that may be beyond me.  Anyway, I wonder if anyone can help me come up with some suitable clues for:

Wainwright - the golden beer (as in Wainwright who did those walking guides)

Blandford Flyer

Old Crafty Hen

Fursty Ferret

Old Peculier

Poacher's choise

KingGoblin

Abbot Reserve

Also something to do with the fly fishermen of the Dorset Stour apparently! I’v Learned so much googling in the last couple of days...

PS I promise I will let him open them if he can’t get all the clues - it is his birthday! 

I’m now contemplating something similar for my sister. Whose birthday is also on New Years Day. I have got her vouchers for the RSC and an thinking of turning an empty teabag box into a theatre stage papered with Shakespeare quotes on the outside... I do fear that in this case my imagination may be greater than my skills!