Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

AGM Question

C1403

Sorry me again.

Are your staff required to attend the AGM.

It states in our staff contracts they they must attend.

We have a new member of staff with young children and she has said she would struggle to make the meeting as it's often late evening and she doesn't have childcare. Obviously her contract states she must attend along with the others. I don't want to rock the boat with any of the staff so thinking of saying to them all your are invited and encouraged to attend and maybe change the wording in their contract.

I think it's useful for staff to attend but not sure they should me made to attend.

Thoughts?

Our staff did not attend other than manager.. they could have no input and could not be elected to committee because of our constitution so no point.. If they can be elected to committee , as some constitutions allow now they they should attend,but cannot see any reason they must attend..

Staff were always welcome at my old setting, so they could take part in discussions, even though they couldn't vote. Also nice for parents to be able to say thank you at the AGM...and for staff to return the thanks. We were never forced to go, though as leader, I always gave a short talk about what we'd acheived over the year and gave my thanks to other staff, volunteers and committee, then talked about our hopes for the coming year

• Like 2

Do you pay staff to attend C1403? Difficult to see how it could be enforced if they are not paid. I attend our committee meetings in my role as manager (without pay) and one of the members of staff is a committee member so she attends.

We also stagger our meetings between evenings and afternoons to allow different people to attend.

Ii was expected went as manager plus one of member of staff who had started her career as being mum, committee member then Chair, so she knew just how much it meant to have staff take part.

If I didn't go as manager, the meeting would have been cancelled anyway as we only had 3 parents on the committee!

Yes they are paid.

I just read the contract and it states

Staff are required to attend; Annual General Meeting (AGM), staff meetings and staff inset days. For any work outside of your normal working hours you will receive pay at your normal rate.

So I am thinking if they don't 'need' to be there (staff cannot join our commitee) then it should not be a requirement of their employment but at the same time should be encouraged so we look more of a team.

I'll raise it at our next meeting if it's going to cause any issue.

Thanks all

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)