Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS updates

Dear all

I think I must have dreamt it as I can not find it anywhere in Ofsted documents so I have come to the experts. If you are recruiting a new member of staff do they have to agree to sign up for the update service? I know child-minders have to but in the back of my mind I am sure I read they were starting it for new nursery staff and as time would go on this would mean all nursery staff would be on the update service.

It could possibly be something that has been suggested by the powers that be and never happened???

Sheila

Not to my knowledge the only thing newly qualified staff require is first aid?

It is good practice to have staff on the update service, this would then highlight potential issues each 12 months and of course this is the best way we can check! In my opinion a DBS check is only useful if a person is actually convicted, so even though it is useful, of course, it is only a slight measure to safeguard children. The importance of a yearly update service at the costs involved is optional.. and recommended if you want good/outstanding practice!

• Like 1

Staff do not need to be signed up to the update service however Ofsted do require committee to be. Presumably as they do managers as well, it would be the same for them.

They do not require staff to re do every three years nor is it written anywhere that it is deemed good or outstanding practice to do so. In fact some of us do very well indeed without DBS or even CRB's, we have 'fit person' letters ::1a ::1a ::1a

• Like 4

With all due respect, I am sure Ofsted would deem "more regular" DBS checks "good practice" due to this being the only method we have of checking staff or anybody working around our children, for convictions that could cause safeguarding concerns. Yes we use many other methods to keep children safe including; No staff member alone with children, supervisions to include certain question pertaining to "recent offenses" or living with anybody who has been convicted lately etc.. (will they admit to these things?) and other wonderful safeguarding measures that ensure children are kept safe at all times.

EDIT: What does a "fit person" letter consist of please?

Edited by BroadOaks

We had our Ofsted in November last year and the Inspector made a point of asking if new employees and joined the update service. I thought it was written down somewhere too, but can't find it.

I am glad I am not the only one who thought they had seen it written down!! Thank you for your reply.

• Like 1

Taken from DBS checks for childcare providers who register with Ofsted, p4 the update service :)

We require all new applicants who wish to register with Ofsted as a childcare provider or childminder, together with all individuals aged 16 or over who are associated with the application, to join the DBS update service as part of their application to register with us. This helps us monitor their ongoing suitability to work with and/or be in regular contact with children and to ensure that children are properly safeguarded.

We do not require people who are already registered with us, or who we have already agreed are suitable to work with or be in regular contact with children, to join the update service unless they meet the criteria for repeating DBS checks (see section on repeating DBS checks below).

For those we do not check – such as the manager and staff in nurseries that operate on non-domestic premises – it is the provider’s decision whether they require those that they employ to join the DBS update service. Providers should refer to the DBS guidance for employers for further information. This can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-update-service-employer-guide.

They do not require staff to re do every three years nor is it written anywhere that it is deemed good or outstanding practice to do so. In fact some of us do very well indeed without DBS or even CRB's, we have 'fit person' letters ::1a ::1a ::1a

Yep! My deputy and I are still working with our original 'Police checks' :1b