Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

All the children have been so happy coming back which is great, I however am not feeling so happy. I seem to have reached a brick wall and can’t seem to get over it, under it, around it or even through it!  I just seem to be missing my motivation, patience and enjoyment and I don’t know why.  It’s making me feel very frustrated as I have been in childcare for 27 years and never felt so despondent. I not quite sure how to find the fun and enjoyment anymore.  Anyone else ever felt like this? 

I kinda feel like this. :/   At times it feels like my staff want to be micro managed ........... I just want them to a automatous and happy, but then again I suppose it's easier to be just told what to do and not have to think about things!

Mostly I'm happy, I just want to start working less though. We are due an Ofsted anytime as we have been our 'new' setting for 23 months now, and I just want the inspection over as if feel staff are getting stressed about the thought of it.

I think when you've been in childcare so long it  really gets you down when you realise the things you did years ago, suddenly seem to back in fashion- after you've spent time and effort changing what was then considered bad-practice!!!!

Chin up- and treat yourself well  zigzag- in whatever is your fancy (wine, gin, chocolate or dancing :):) )

xxx

• Like 1

Did we once have a thread that celebrated 'reasons to be cheerful/thankful' or something like that? Or did I just dream that?

Anyway - thought I would share my 'reasons to be cheerful' today!

•  completed and submitted my 'headcount' today without needing to ring LA because of 'issues'
  •  similarly completed and submitted LA survey - delighted to find that they seem to have redesigned the format for this (nice and simple, just like me!)
  •  bulbs are shooting in my garden pots
  •  no damage in the awful windy conditions of the last two days
  •  the sun has come out
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Did we once have a thread that celebrated 'reasons to be cheerful/thankful' or something like that? Or did I just dream that?

Anyway - thought I would share my 'reasons to be cheerful' today!

•  completed and submitted my 'headcount' today without needing to ring LA because of 'issues'
  •  similarly completed and submitted LA survey - delighted to find that they seem to have redesigned the format for this (nice and simple, just like me!)
  •  bulbs are shooting in my garden pots
  •  no damage in the awful windy conditions of the last two days
  •  the sun has come out

LOL!   Ive just logged on to do my headcount to be met with the message - We have software problems..... followed by a lot of spiel about how to get round it!!  Think I'll just try again tomorrow!

Anyway reasons to be cheerful 

• I've had baby cuddles all afternoon:):)
  • I too have just noticed the bulbs are shooting in my garden (although many look like that could be blind:o)
  • I'm now going to do nothing for the rest of the evening :)
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, louby loo said:

LOL!   Ive just logged on to do my headcount to be met with the message - We have software problems..... followed by a lot of spiel about how to get round it!!  Think I'll just try again tomorrow!

Anyway reasons to be cheerful 

• I've had baby cuddles all afternoon:):)
  • I too have just noticed the bulbs are shooting in my garden (although many look like that could be blind:o)
  • I'm now going to do nothing for the rest of the evening :)

Ooooh baby cuddles - lovely :)

• Like 1

Reasons to be cheerful parts 1/2/3 !! (you'd have to be of a certain age to get that reference)

Good stuff...ive been at an in the moment planning training with Anna Ephgrave. Havent been to a course for so long it was great to get out of the setting and have a chat with others. I think  i should probably apologise for being one of those annoying people who keep asking questions....i got giddy! 

One of my little ones (ASD) hung her coat up for the first time!:D small wins!!!

I'm having friday off to go away for the weekend with Finley and the hubby 

• Like 3

Reasons to be cheerful.

• Headcount completed along with census form.
  • My bank account tally is the same as the bank statement (always a relief)
  • Ofsted have finally after the most ridiculous delay cleared my last committee member!
  • We managed to get out today as the wind had lessened and cleared up the damage that the storm had caused.
  • I have signed up for the walk 1000 miles in 2020 challenge and since New Year’s Day have walked 43 miles so bang on target! Which considering the awful weather is good.
  • Tomorrow is NOT a work day🙃🙃

Can I just apologise if I was out of order posting my miserable post on this thread, I didn’t mean to put a downer on the forum and make Sunnyday feel that she had to cheer things up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Reasons to be cheerful.

Can I just apologise if I was out of order posting my miserable post on this thread, I didn’t mean to put a downer on the forum and make Sunnyday feel that she had to cheer things up!

I dont think it does anyone any harm to have a moan (this weather doesnt help)  bit its nice to think of something positive a day :DIF you can:D:D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1st Feb - wow - how did that happen! Mustn't wish time away but never too sad to see the back of January :)

I have a very 'odd' mum at the moment - little boy started a couple of weeks ago - a few examples (there is something every day:o)

When she first rang to see about a place she said "he has suspected ADHD" I said "oh okay, who has said that then and what is being done about it, has he been referred" - she told me that her HV had said this and was referring for Early help...….hmmm, on his first morning she changed that to GP suspects possible ADHD and has referred her to HV

This dear little boy demonstrates absolutely no behavioural issues with us - go figure......

"HV has rung, he hasn't had his two year check, he has fallen through the net, she wants to see him and draw up a behaviour plan" (?) (so dramatic :bananas:+ I had asked about this on entry and she assure me no 'problems' had been identified) we have made our own first assessment (little boy is 40 months) so gave her two copies one of which I suggested she shared with her HV she then says "oh we haven't got an appointment yet"...….

Yesterday - "he is very 'snotty' I have given him Calpol because he had a bit of a temperature" - I gave my usual reply about if he had a temperature and needed calpol then he shouldn't be in setting - she then (surprise, surprise) back-tracked completely......and again (surprise, surprise) no signs of him being poorly at all

She is going to 'wear me out' :ph34r:

Other than that, all going quite well for us at the moment - long may it last :)

Happy weekend y'all

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

1st Feb - wow - how did that happen! Mustn't wish time away but never too sad to see the back of January :)

I have a very 'odd' mum at the moment - little boy started a couple of weeks ago - a few examples (there is something every day:o)

When she first rang to see about a place she said "he has suspected ADHD" I said "oh okay, who has said that then and what is being done about it, has he been referred" - she told me that her HV had said this and was referring for Early help...….hmmm, on his first morning she changed that to GP suspects possible ADHD and has referred her to HV

This dear little boy demonstrates absolutely no behavioural issues with us - go figure......

"HV has rung, he hasn't had his two year check, he has fallen through the net, she wants to see him and draw up a behaviour plan" (?) (so dramatic :bananas:+ I had asked about this on entry and she assure me no 'problems' had been identified) we have made our own first assessment (little boy is 40 months) so gave her two copies one of which I suggested she shared with her HV she then says "oh we haven't got an appointment yet"...….

Yesterday - "he is very 'snotty' I have given him Calpol because he had a bit of a temperature" - I gave my usual reply about if he had a temperature and needed calpol then he shouldn't be in setting - she then (surprise, surprise) back-tracked completely......and again (surprise, surprise) no signs of him being poorly at all

She is going to 'wear me out' :ph34r:

Other than that, all going quite well for us at the moment - long may it last :)

Happy weekend y'all

Just to give a 'heads-up'............. and I sincerely hope this isn't the case for you-

I was on training this week, and one of the group told us a bit of a horror story about a family she currently has at her setting - the parent is very determined to get a SEN label for her child 'because of the extra benefits this brings'   

Anyway 1st Feb and granddaughter one month old today.  We're on official babysitting duties this afternoon(first time) and are taking her out for the afternoon :o:D:D Mum and dad ned to start packing the house-up as they are moving next week.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, louby loo said:

I was on training this week, and one of the group told us a bit of a horror story about a family she currently has at her setting - the parent is very determined to get a SEN label for her child 'because of the extra benefits this brings'  

In our area it also gives you extra points for housing so we have had a few cases where the parent is looking for something that simply isn't there.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, larnielass said:

In our area it also gives you extra points for housing so we have had a few cases where the parent is looking for something that simply isn't there.

Wouldn't hold your breath for that around here!O.o You could have all the points in the world...still no housing!

Thanks all - she is a bit of a 'puzzle' - it's not just the non existent SEN - it is things like

Me: He will need some slippers or indoor shoes to wear please

Mum: Oh but he won't keep them on

He keeps his slippers on without fail

Mum: can he bring his own snack, he won't eat what you're offering

Me: well no, let's see how we get on first

He eats his snack really well

It's only been a few weeks, I live in hope that she will 'settle down' soon :)

4 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Thanks all - she is a bit of a 'puzzle' - it's not just the non existent SEN - it is things like

Me: He will need some slippers or indoor shoes to wear please

Mum: Oh but he won't keep them on

He keeps his slippers on without fail

Mum: can he bring his own snack, he won't eat what you're offering

Me: well no, let's see how we get on first

He eats his snack really well

It's only been a few weeks, I live in hope that she will 'settle down' soon :)

do you think she's a Mum who wants it to fail?  i've had these in the past and got to the right now do you want this or not conversations!!???!! You want them to stay? ok then you need to x y z !

35 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

do you think she's a Mum who wants it to fail?  i've had these in the past and got to the right now do you want this or not conversations!!???!! You want them to stay? ok then you need to x y z !

I don't think so, but I could be wrong...….

We've had a busy week, we seem to have lively lot this year and this last week has felt a bit like the summer term!

I'm hoping storm Ciara blows over fast- my daughter and partner are moving house Monday. :o

Had my Friday baby cuddles today :).    Our baby sitting went well last week. 

• Like 2

I have had some good news - family who have been in a London hospital since the birth of their daughter before Christmas (:o apologies)  are spending their very first night in their home with the baby, she was transferred to a local hospital yesterday (blue lights all the way!!)  they all spent the night there and have now been told, although they continue to have a place there, they can have some "home leave".   They live 5 minutes away from the hospital and we live 5 minutes away from it in the other direction.  She is still very tiny, and has had to overcome so many obstacles, but now appears to be truly on her way.   Just needs to put some weight on now.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Panders said:

I have had some good news - family who have been in a London hospital since the birth of their daughter before Christmas (:o apologies)  are spending their very first night in their home with the baby, she was transferred to a local hospital yesterday (blue lights all the way!!)  they all spent the night there and have now been told, although they continue to have a place there, they can have some "home leave".   They live 5 minutes away from the hospital and we live 5 minutes away from it in the other direction.  She is still very tiny, and has had to overcome so many obstacles, but now appears to be truly on her way.   Just needs to put some weight on now.

Such good news

Kindest thoughts to all.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

How are we at the Friday of half term already? ....it doesn’t feel like I’ve been away from the place yet other than Wednesday, not planning on going into today but still have work to do from home 😢

Roll on Easter

I know the feeling :(.   I'm  also feeling mega stressed at the moment:/. We are due Ofsted anyway now (to the point I twitch every time my phone rings).

I have fantastic staff HOWEVER they can't seem to take on that this time ofsted is more about them than me and my paperwork!  I did a crafty thing- and sent my 3rd in charge to an ofsted briefing the week before half term- and she came back in complete panic as the realisation finally set in.  We've now got a staff meeting Monday xD. I need to get myself organised for said meeting.  I woke up yesterday with sore throat, headache, and hacking cough- and really need to get my act together today.

• Sad 1

Good move on sending another staff member, I’m sure my staff just think I’m making it up when I say there will be more focus on interactions/teaching/knowing their key children well rather than whether I can produce reams of paperwork, I saw a post on FB asking for a quiz for staff in EYIF and inspection ....a quiz? I’d be happy if they just showed an interest in reading any publications that relate to their jobs instead of me having to constantly drip feed it in to them all.

Are you due inspection before the end of this cycle? we were right at the start of this cycle but who knows with so many settings closing you'd think they’d come around quicker 🤷‍♀️