Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Ooooh forgot to say - the biggest news here today is that it has been raining almost all day - whoop - didn't think that I would ever be so pleased to see rain but this the first we have had since May!

Happy weekend y'all :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Ooooh forgot to say - the biggest news here today is that it has been raining almost all day - whoop - didn't think that I would ever be so pleased to see rain but this the first we have had since May!

Still waiting here....   cloudy all day though.

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Same here, raining on and off all day, when we let the children into the garden they went absolutely bonkers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lsp said:

No rain here for months. Lots of field fires. Firefighters doing a fantastic job - mostly retained around here.

Do you know we get gorse fires on the moors every year, even in dreadful summers, but this summer, nothing!  It seems quite weird.  I have probably jinxed it now knowing my luck!🚒

• 1 month later...

Though that I would resurrect this thread!:)

So 'ere we go - it's Friday!xD

Think I spoke far too soon over on the Summer holidays thread when talking about how well my newbies had settled - not so great today - some 'boundary pushing' from two very determined little girls :ph34r:

Never mind I'm sure that I can soon bring them round to my way of thinking!9_9:D

No weekend TDL for me - whoop! whoop! - am determined not to give preschool another thought until Monday morning :)

Have a good weekend all, hope that it is filled with things that you enjoy:)

• Like 2

Well I've worked three days with the children (actually done four days I should add xD)......... and  now I'm off for three days next week.  

Off to visit family in Wales that had to cancelled during the summer due to illness. Feeling a tad guilty as we have our newbies next week :o.

I will bring them back Welsh Cakes :):)   that I will get in M&S as they are lovely ones.

xx

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great week for us, some very lovely characters (and that is not said tongue in cheek).  Weird only opening for three days, takes a bit of getting used to! 

Just been informed that I now have to drive to Plymouth tomorrow to look at a car for my son who is learning to drive.  Not happy, I hate driving, especially on busy roads I don’t know😡😱. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend 🙂

Good week here. Class need a bit of a firmness dose next week but are a lovely lot. Need to do a bit of research on working with EAL children. So if anyone could point me in a useful direction it would be gratefully appreciated! This weekend is just a ‘normal’ one for me. Hope everyone enjoys theirs.

53 minutes ago, Froglet said:

. Need to do a bit of research on working with EAL children.

happy to answer any questions if you have them!

First week done here too. only one new starter as the rest start rolling in from Monday. Had new parents intro yesterday good turnout and they all seemed really lovely even had two thank you's in my inbox this morning!

We have a busy week ahead and our biggest fundraiser of the year on Saturday so i'll be kna****** by next Monday!

interesting selection of EAL this year with 3 children from Vietnamese origin so any tips on Buddhism gratefully received  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

Finleysmaid I have such admiration for you, we have only ever supported one child with EAL in all my years working at pre-school.  I just don’t know how you do it!

that's really nice of you. I've done it for so long I can't imagine not having the mix we have! I have tried this morning to learn "hello" in Vietnamese but have found out that ALL ways of saying it are gender and age specific so there are about 10 different versions!!!!! might have to forgo for a quick wave instead!:D 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

happy to answer any questions if you have them!

I will take you up on that.  When I moved school 3 years ago it was to a much more mixed (in all ways!) school.  Since then I've had a couple of EAL children every year but in every instance their competency in English meant you couldn't really tell.  In one instance the child's English (written and spoken) was quite a lot better than that of several of her English peers!  This year I have 4, 2 of whom seem fine with English, one who I think is but has only just moved to this school so is still settling and one who has very little English at all.  It's a bit hard to tell but general feeling from reception was that there may be a possible SEN there too.  I need to do some pondering!

I know it’s not Friday but it certainly felt like it at the end of yesterday’s session!  Do you ever get that moment when you just know that your latest room reshuffle and provision (that you worked so hard on in the summer holidays) is just not right for the current group😢 Cannot believe how different the dynamics are with the older children gone and the difference one child with no previous pre-school experience can make.  Sadly going to have to reduce the amount of resources available and rethink room plan😬 I know this room layout would have worked brilliantly with my last group, should have done it six months ago!  Back to the drawing board tomorrow with the attitude that you win some and lose some and don’t know until you try!

2 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I know it’s not Friday but it certainly felt like it at the end of yesterday’s session!  Do you ever get that moment when you just know that your latest room reshuffle and provision (that you worked so hard on in the summer holidays) is just not right for the current group😢 Cannot believe how different the dynamics are with the older children gone and the difference one child with no previous pre-school experience can make.  Sadly going to have to reduce the amount of resources available and rethink room plan😬 I know this room layout would have worked brilliantly with my last group, should have done it six months ago!  Back to the drawing board tomorrow with the attitude that you win some and lose some and don’t know until you try!

Oh dear, chin up! 

4 minutes ago, zigzag said:

its a blinking nuisance but has to be done! our favourite phrase this year ...ah well "it is what it is"   ^_^

• Like 1

I can't remember a year (and I've been at this 28 years this year) that I haven't got to the October 1/2 term saying 'this is the worst class I've ever had' - and then you knock them (metaphorically speaking)  into shape and it's all fine. This has held true in every year group that I have taught - from nursery up to year 8

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Don't forget to make notes on your self evaluations that you changed and why etc.   We use the ABC Does environment plan to show our changes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Oh zigzag, in a funny way beginning of the new year always reminded me of the first 6 weeks of a new born!  They have the ability to throw everything into disarray until you get the routine right and they begin to settle and sleep through!   You'll get there and so will they, hang on inO.o

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Oh no that's a real shame - but onwards and upwards! :)