Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 02/06/2023 at 18:25, louby loo said:

Just grabbing my winter jumper and ill be there! 😁🤣

We have had glorious sunshine all day here (It’s because I decided that I must work today!). 

I went in to school this morning to work - fewer distractions and excuses. Then this afternoon went for a very slow walk round the park with mum and dad. My poor dad has sciatica at the moment so needed to stop and stretch every few steps or so.

I have to admit to having a ‘grumpy old woman moment’ though. The path at the park is divided in two - one side for pedestrians, one for bikes. A child (4ish) was carefully stepping along the dividing line - not doing anything wrong but because of the way he was walking my poor dad had to shuffle out of the way. Not really a big deal but it frustrated me that the child’s parent was completely oblivious to the fact that his child was walking straight into an elderly man with a stick clearly having difficulty walking.

To contrast that my mum was wandering all over the place and had a near miss with an older boy on a scooter - he was going a little fast but it was her fault and he was so beautifully and sincerely apologetic it was lovely to see!

On 31/05/2023 at 14:59, louby loo said:

Well, lets be honest about this - the children sing them all year anyway!!!!!!!

“Ok, what do you want to sing”? ….Jingle Bells arghhhh!

On 27/05/2023 at 20:22, louby loo said:

I hate this last half-term!  I always find once the children start having their transisition visits they become very lary and ready to move on!!!

My favorite is the half term before Christmas.

So do I louby, children are either more than ready to ship out or becoming anxious because everyone (family) has been talking ‘big school’ at them since place allocations in April and until they start transition visits it’s far to early.

Then all the work involved with school transitions and new intakes, I’m struggling to recruit staff so not sure what I can offer come September and it seems endless funded 2 yr olds wanting places which isn’t helping and this is before more are funded, losing 28 to school but only have/know of 11 for the  next school year …odd

I am quite exasperated with other professionals at the minute who send families/chn our way that will need higher levels of support without actually finding out what are current staffing situation is like or how many higher needs returners we are already supporting, and when you can’t immediately agree to a September start you are the bad guy 😡 

Roll on the Summer hols 🙏 

On 03/06/2023 at 08:53, Mouseketeer said:

So do I louby, children are either more than ready to ship out or becoming anxious because everyone (family) has been talking ‘big school’ at them since place allocations in April and until they start transition visits it’s far to early.

Then all the work involved with school transitions and new intakes, I’m struggling to recruit staff so not sure what I can offer come September and it seems endless funded 2 yr olds wanting places which isn’t helping and this is before more are funded, losing 28 to school but only have/know of 11 for the  next school year …odd

I am quite exasperated with other professionals at the minute who send families/chn our way that will need higher levels of support without actually finding out what are current staffing situation is like or how many higher needs returners we are already supporting, and when you can’t immediately agree to a September start you are the bad guy 😡 

Roll on the Summer hols 🙏 

Ugh. I really feel for you!  My staff had to be incredibly flexible in that respect.  One year in the early days I only had 3 children at the start of the September term, with more joining as we moved towards the half term and (C word) I had one member of staff with me, and I didn’t take a wage until January.  I can remember being annoyed that a childminder could have looked after 3 on their own, in their own home, whereas the rules demanded there should be two of us.  

• Sad 1

On 03/06/2023 at 09:20, Cait said:

Ugh. I really feel for you!  My staff had to be incredibly flexible in that respect.  One year in the early days I only had 3 children at the start of the September term, with more joining as we moved towards the half term and (C word) I had one member of staff with me, and I didn’t take a wage until January.  I can remember being annoyed that a childminder could have looked after 3 on their own, in their own home, whereas the rules demanded there should be two of us.  

We’ve always worked on the higher summer term income covers the autumn deficit, but we only ever had a handful of 2 yr olds to worry about ratio with …..we’ve had hundreds of new homes built in a short time which is making it so difficult to accommodate the high number of funded 2’s and the deficit in income that brings as well as considering the pressure on staff 😞 

Edited by Mouseketeer

On 03/06/2023 at 09:26, Mouseketeer said:

We’ve always worked on the higher summer term income covers the autumn deficit, but we only ever had a handful of 2 yr olds to worry about ratio with …..we’ve had hundreds of new homes built in a short time which is making it so difficult to accommodate the high number of funded 2’s and the deficit in income that brings as well as considering the pressure on staff 😞 

Oh Mousie that all sounds so stressful - sending a huge virtual hug xxx

• Like 1

IMG_3121.jpeg.323016ad2a32a08b3e7bac79ecc86f67.jpeg
I accidentally on purpose bought more yarn today - am trying something more colourful. A bag made with circle patches (Kandinsky style) lined with some pretty floral fabric from a dress I made when I was 16.

Plus, I have just made emergency biscuits.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 12:58, Froglet said:

I accidentally on purpose bought more yarn today - am trying something more colourful. A bag made with circle patches (Kandinsky style) lined with some pretty floral fabric from a dress I made when I was 16.

Lovely colours young Froglet

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 09:26, Mouseketeer said:

Sorry to hear about your stress levels at the moment. 🙁

The funded 2 yr olds can add a lot of pressure for no financail gain. Although depending on birthdays at least you can plan your numbers for the next year. This year unfortunately most of ours have summer birthdays (not that we have that many)

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 08:53, Mouseketeer said:

EXACTLY!!!    Andy has just commented on just why is 'that child' (granddaughter 🤣) running up and down the consevertory Orangery singing 'Jingle Bells' on full volume??  😭😭🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 03/06/2023 at 16:50, louby loo said:

EXACTLY!!!    Andy has just commented on just why is 'that child' (granddaughter 🤣) running up and down the consevertory Orangery singing 'Jingle Bells' on full volume??  😭😭🤣

'that child' is hilarious 🤣 reminded me of my late mum - if she was cross with one of us it would be "that sister of yours" or "that brother of yours" 🤷‍♀️🙃

• Haha 2

Love the fabric and colours - reminds me of my favorite pjs!  Trying to add a photo but i can't do it 😬 

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing that in the ‘own makes’ thread! 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2023 at 14:43, sunnyday said:

Just popping in to say - for those starting the last term of the year tomorrow - hope all goes well and that you get off to a great start

Thank You sunnyday 🙏 

I’ve been getting into work mode by reading the new draft framework with proposed (under consultation) changes 🙄

On 04/06/2023 at 14:00, Cait said:

Looking forward to seeing that in the ‘own makes’ thread! 

Will do! Currently in pieces on the living room floor as I’m trying to work out colour combinations. I ignored the TDL yesterday and made a pretty good start on it!

Edited by Froglet

On 04/06/2023 at 14:43, sunnyday said:

Just popping in to say - for those starting the last term of the year tomorrow - hope all goes well and that you get off to a great start

Thank you! Fingers crossed.

On 04/06/2023 at 18:21, Mouseketeer said:

Thank You sunnyday 🙏 

I’ve been getting into work mode by reading the new draft framework with proposed (under consultation) changes 🙄

There’s a new framework?! 

On 04/06/2023 at 18:29, Froglet said:

Thank you! Fingers crossed.

There’s a new framework?! 

It’s the draft for the consultation, apparently it’s supposed to be less complicated and incorporates the proposed changes such as maths qualifications to count as L3 and a change to % of qualified:unqualified staff needed, amongst other things

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 19:09, Mouseketeer said:

It’s the draft for the consultation, apparently it’s supposed to be less complicated and incorporates the proposed changes such as maths qualifications to count as L3 and a change to % of qualified:unqualified staff needed, amongst other things

Oh right - I got hold of the wrong end of the stick - sorry - shouldn't be commenting on things I know nothing about 🤦‍♀️

On 04/06/2023 at 19:21, sunnyday said:

Oh right - I got hold of the wrong end of the stick - sorry - shouldn't be commenting on things I know nothing about 🤦‍♀️

Probably not wrong sunnyday, you can just see a final version released in time for us to get our heads around ready for September 😳

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh my actual goodness - I have well and truly blotted my copy book...

There was a village meeting yesterday evening - quite a big affair - I had received a special invitation to attend supposedly to talk about Knit and Natter - I had said "thanks, but no thanks, trying to keep the group quite small, don't want to make a noise about it" - then it was "please, come along anyway, you don't need to say anything" - then several friends had asked if I was going - I thought 'this is so strange, why is everyone so keen for me to go', especially as I have 'dropped out' of most village things that I was previously involved with...anyway, needless to say I didn't attend

It transpires that I was to be presented with some sort of 'Community Service' award - this to be given to me by no less than the Mayor of our nearest town 🤦‍♀️ - well, honestly, how was I meant to know 🙃 🤣 the friends that kept asking if I was going were obviously in the know...

Goodness - I feel that I need to hide - especially as I can't help but find it funny 🤣

I wasn't the only recipient so hopefully I will be forgiven and if not 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 4

On 08/06/2023 at 15:31, sunnyday said:

Oh my actual goodness - I have well and truly blotted my copy book...

There was a village meeting yesterday evening - quite a big affair - I had received a special invitation to attend supposedly to talk about Knit and Natter - I had said "thanks, but no thanks, trying to keep the group quite small, don't want to make a noise about it" - then it was "please, come along anyway, you don't need to say anything" - then several friends had asked if I was going - I thought 'this is so strange, why is everyone so keen for me to go', especially as I have 'dropped out' of most village things that I was previously involved with...anyway, needless to say I didn't attend

It transpires that I was to be presented with some sort of 'Community Service' award - this to be given to me by no less than the Mayor of our nearest town 🤦‍♀️ - well, honestly, how was I meant to know 🙃 🤣 the friends that kept asking if I was going were obviously in the know...

Goodness - I feel that I need to hide - especially as I can't help but find it funny 🤣

I wasn't the only recipient so hopefully I will be forgiven and if not 🤷‍♀️

Whoops! 🤭.  It is a bit funny though.   Someone should have slipped you the wink.  

• Like 1

On 08/06/2023 at 15:52, Cait said:

Whoops! 🤭.  It is a bit funny though.   Someone should have slipped you the wink.  

It is funny 🤣

I would have 'hated' it anyway - I don't like that sort of thing at all...

Just wish that didn't feel like I need to hide now!