Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

So 'tat' - I will really have to watch my tongue, that's not a very nice description is it 🤦‍♀️🤣

In the first week we made lavender dollies - okay they are sort of cute, but so not my style (mine is currently residing in my downstairs loo...

Then came the poppies - I loved this - enjoyed knitting them and loved going down to the church to make arrangements - some of the group can't knit so they made paper poppies which were really lovely and one really talented lady made some huge crochet poppies which have been added to dried hydrangeas around the arch over the door - they are fantastic. I hope that the poppies can be saved and that we can add to them next year (the church warden had been a bit 'sniffy' about the idea, but is now very pleased with the displays!)

We did a dried flower arrangement and a fresh flower arrangement - enjoyed these but there could have been a bit more tuition really

Last week was 'salt dough' - now you would think that I might be a bit of an expert here 🤣 but my dough was a flippin' disaster 🤦‍♀️ - we were meant to be plaiting dough to make a wreath shape - my dough kept breaking...I tried four times and then the tutor had a go, she couldn't work with my dough, I said "oh, I'm going to bin this and do it again at home" - I didn't need to, as the following morning, as if by magic the most beautiful salt-dough wreath appeared on my doorstep...one of the other lovely ladies had made it for me, how kind is that?! This week is painting and decorating said salt-dough wreaths - well...I don't want to paint mine, it is a lovely natural colour, nor do I want to decorate it with painted dough stars etc - I have found some pretty bits from some Christmas pot-pourri that I am hoping can be glued on - we will see...

Next week is Christmas wreaths, which I am really looking forward to

After that it is 'cracker making' (no thanks) painted pebbles (hmm not really), some sort of 'santa in a bed' sewing effort (definite no thanks from me), a very tatty looking plastic arrangement on a plate with a log and candle in the middle (pass) - gosh I am an old moaner 😉 in my defence, the clever lady who made the lovely crotchet poppies commented to me in a phone call "I don't want all of this sh*t in my house, we could just go for the chat and laughs" so it's not just me 😂

My BFF goes to Women's Institute - again for the company really - we live nearly an hour's drive from each other so we dont see each other daily.  Anyway, she has enjoyed the WI and friendships made and she is good at sewing and makes a few things for them to sell at their weekly markets.  Maybe you might make the craft items and donate them to your local WI, just a thought

13 minutes ago, Panders said:

My BFF goes to Women's Institute - again for the company really - we live nearly an hour's drive from each other so we dont see each other daily.  Anyway, she has enjoyed the WI and friendships made and she is good at sewing and makes a few things for them to sell at their weekly markets.  Maybe you might make the craft items and donate them to your local WI, just a thought

Ah good idea but we don't have a WI here...one good thing about making those poppies was that it got me back into knitting, I have been making little hats for the Age UK/Innocent smoothie campaign, have also knitted a hat for littlest grandson and I'm currently knitting a hat for youngest granddaughter, I'm wondering if I can, very politely decline the craft stuff (must not, must not, must not use the word tat 🤣) and just go along with my knitting - I don't want to just drop out, that's not my style at all, but I am so underwhelmed by the plans. I would love to make crackers if they were 'wonderful' but sadly they are just a loo roll middle stuffed with sweets with a bit of wrapping paper to cover 🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

So 'tat' - I will really have to watch my tongue, that's not a very nice description is it 🤦‍♀️🤣

I think we know what you mean though 😊 

It does seem a pretty random lot though.  I only really the 'disposable' type crafts that have a definite shelf life  as in food, fresh flowers/foliage  etc.

• Like 1

I saw one like this the other day that looked lovely!  They’re just autumn leaves threaded onto a coat hanger.  You untwist the bit at the top and make it into a circle (keeping the hooky bit for hanging) then just thread them on, piercing through the centre of the each leaf, then re-twist the twisty bit and hang it up!  

BBC5F085-C3D0-419D-B832-014BD7C50005.jpeg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cait said:

I saw one like this the other day that looked lovely!  They’re just autumn leaves threaded onto a coat hanger.  You untwist the bit at the top and make it into a circle (keeping the hooky bit for hanging) then just thread them on, piercing through the centre of the each leaf, then re-twist the twisty bit and hang it up!  

BBC5F085-C3D0-419D-B832-014BD7C50005.jpeg

That is right up my street - thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Beautiful photo and baby - congratulations to all!

I realised that I forgot to give you a ginger cake update... It's still going strong, tastes delicious, beautifully sticky on top although beginning to get a little dry in the middle - good excuse to eat custard though!  I have to admit (very quietly) that I'm a little bored with it, I think if I make that one again and don't have anyone else around to feed cake to I might experiment with freezing half of it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Beautiful photo and baby - congratulations to all!

I realised that I forgot to give you a ginger cake update... It's still going strong, tastes delicious, beautifully sticky on top although beginning to get a little dry in the middle - good excuse to eat custard though!  I have to admit (very quietly) that I'm a little bored with it, I think if I make that one again and don't have anyone else around to feed cake to I might experiment with freezing half of it!

This has just reminded me of something. Not sure if they still do these now (something for me to google later) but those of us of a certain age might remember - wedding cake potions in a little box that came in the post?   If you couldn't attend the wedding you were sent a small slice in a tiny pretty box. 🎁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

This has just reminded me of something. Not sure if they still do these now (something for me to google later) but those of us of a certain age might remember - wedding cake potions in a little box that came in the post?   If you couldn't attend the wedding you were sent a small slice in a tiny pretty box. 🎁

I remember my mum and dad having one once.  Is this a hint that I should sent out portions of cake to FSF members? 😉

• Like 1

Oooh - ginger cake and custard yum!

Where are we paying our subs to for 'cake club' - I'm in

Nothing whatsoever to do with cake but can I just say...Rose and Giovanni - just how beautiful was their dance last night - I do believe that even Mr S who pretends not to watch had something in his eye

• Like 2

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Yes I do - expect only the Royals would do this now🤣.  In fact, when I was  small I found one of these little boxes in the bookcase at home, it was from my own mum and dad's wedding.😍

1 minute ago, sunnyday said:

Nothing whatsoever to do with cake but can I just say...Rose and Giovanni - just how beautiful was their dance last night - I do believe that even Mr S who pretends not to watch had something in his eye

Yes a bit special, and when they stopped the music, --- very powerful.   

I also know from a spoiler who went last night - shame - nice couple.  Do so wish the BBC would revert to old days and have an update programme later in the evening, this separate Sunday programme is totally unnecessary

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Panders said:

Yes I do - expect only the Royals would do this now🤣.  In fact, when I was  small I found one of these little boxes in the bookcase at home, it was from my own mum and dad's wedding.😍

How lovely

My dear MIL had saved some of the little decorations from our wedding cake (I had no idea) and gave them to us on our silver wedding anniversary

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Except that I couldn’t get a tin of custard powder this morning well unless I wanted an enormous one which I don’t as the small one lasts ages and I only have small kitchen cupboards!

26 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Except that I couldn’t get a tin of custard powder this morning well unless I wanted an enormous one which I don’t as the small one lasts ages and I only have small kitchen cupboards!

My son always told people that I cheated with custard, i.e. using the tin - he always wanted me to make it with eggs/cream etc.   Yea right, that was going to happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panders said:

My son always told people that I cheated with custard, i.e. using the tin - he always wanted me to make it with eggs/cream etc.   Yea right, that was going to happen

I've even moved on from the tin now........ I buy the add hot water packets  (and possibly even ready made nowadays)

50 minutes ago, Froglet said:

I would do that except it’s harder to scale down for one.

Actually, I can't guarantee what they taste like- but I've just remembered I used to get small (yogurt pot sized) individual ones for my mum. Also children have had them in their lunch boxes too come to think of it.  Would these be any good for you?  

Please excuse me if you already know about these- but I know I come across things in lunch boxes nowadays that are an education to me 😊.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Actually, I can't guarantee what they taste like- but I've just remembered I used to get small (yogurt pot sized) individual ones for my mum. Also children have had them in their lunch boxes too come to think of it.  Would these be any good for you?  

Please excuse me if you already know about these- but I know I come across things in lunch boxes nowadays that are an education to me 😊.

I didn’t thanks, I will investigate… I have to admit that I get increasingly frustrated at the disappearance of smaller packets.

Panders I have got a couple of recipes with custard powder in but those sound delicious!

Anyway, thought I’d share my afternoon’s work. He needs some jingle bells for feet and felt for a beak but I’m pretty pleased with him. Might go for a lighter shade of brown and red.

C543724C-7B44-4C15-8B30-B324EFC497F4.jpeg

• Like 2