Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Louby, pleased to read your inspection is out of the way and a positive experience, well done and like zigzag a little envious, though I’m currently stuck between ‘bring it on’ and ‘no, we aren’t ready, (still embedding new way of working, not sure staff are confident enough to explain how we are now doing things, I ask about their Intent etc and some look at me blankly) post 4 years but now could be another 2 Years I guess 🤷‍♀️ When you feel up to it and the haze has cleared a few thoughts would be fab please 🙂

Has anyone else read  the Inspection Framework and wondered who these plural ‘leaderS’ they speak of are? How have leaders? what have leaders? …it seems to me that in many settings there has only been one leader carrying everyone else’s expectations, fears, demands and safety on their shoulders through this last 19 months…..”I am a robot” 🤖 (that looks like a cupcake with a cherry on top 🤔)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Louby, pleased to read your inspection is out of the way and a positive experience, well done and like zigzag a little envious, though I’m currently stuck between ‘bring it on’ and ‘no, we aren’t ready, (still embedding new way of working, not sure staff are confident enough to explain how we are now doing things, I ask about their Intent etc and some look at me blankly) post 4 years but now could be another 2 Years I guess 🤷‍♀️ When you feel up to it and the haze has cleared a few thoughts would be fab please 🙂

Has anyone else read  the Inspection Framework and wondered who these plural ‘leaderS’ they speak of are? How have leaders? what have leaders? …it seems to me that in many settings there has only been one leader carrying everyone else’s expectations, fears, demands and safety on their shoulders through this last 19 months…..”I am a robot” 🤖 (that looks like a cupcake with a cherry on top 🤔)

I shall do, but I think I might give it a thread of it's own. I'm feeling lots better now- and actually looking forward to work tomorrow- which is something I haven't been feeling for a long time now.  

We can really crack on with Christmas now (there... I said the word!) I know it seems early, but we finish on the 14th, so really only just 5 weeks (and I'm away for one of those). Some of our children only come twice at week - so we do need to crack on with stuff or it will turn into a factory workshop for the last week- which I hate! 

• Like 5

Yes I used to like to start off very quietly - almost under the wire so to speak and then begin to ramp it up.  As you say, when you actually work out how long some children have in the setting to be a part of making anything or taking part in something it comes down to a few hours at most,  and that's if they aren't off sick or on a pre- Christmas break with family etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panders said:

Yes I used to like to start off very quietly - almost under the wire so to speak and then begin to ramp it up.  As you say, when you actually work out how long some children have in the setting to be a part of making anything or taking part in something it comes down to a few hours at most,  and that's if they aren't off sick or on a pre- Christmas break with family etc.

Yes, I hate it when a child has been off sick on holiday (many of our families do seem like a pre-christmas Centre Parks break 😂)  they come in and it's, "quick make an card, now to a calendar, quick off you trot to go and make a decoration, etc..."

That said calendars are already made - just a few stragglers. We try and do a 'my first day' painting for these. 

• Like 2

A slightly belated happy Friday to you all. I decided to try and start the new half term by finishing all my work on Saturday. 8 and a half hours later I actually finished! This morning I have equally worked to get governor jobs done, the cleaning and a series of letters written. I’ve been for a walk round the park. I’ve made some masala chai tea and am about to settle into a cosy candlelit crafting afternoon.

An update on the ginger cake experiment… it’s two weeks since I first made it. It’s still moist and now has a lovely sticky top. It was worth the wait!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Froglet said:

A slightly belated happy Friday to you all. I decided to try and start the new half term by finishing all my work on Saturday. 8 and a half hours later I actually finished! This morning I have equally worked to get governor jobs done, the cleaning and a series of letters written. I’ve been for a walk round the park. I’ve made some masala chai tea and am about to settle into a cosy candlelit crafting afternoon.

An update on the ginger cake experiment… it’s two weeks since I first made it. It’s still moist and now has a lovely sticky top. It was worth the wait!

Oh my actual goodness young Froglet - that is far too much work for a weekend - not that I have any bright ideas about how you might change that

Ginger cake sounds divine!

• Like 1

Just now, sunnyday said:

Oh my actual goodness young Froglet - that is far too much work for a weekend - not that I have any bright ideas about how you might change that

Ginger cake sounds divine!

I know, it’s ridiculous isn’t it? An hour of it was writing 4 IEPs so that was a one off. About another hour and a half was going through emails, and responding to ones that needed it and reading all our safeguarding reports online. We’ve all been commenting on how many more emails we’re getting at the moment. Not quite sure what to do about it!

5 minutes ago, Froglet said:

I know, it’s ridiculous isn’t it? An hour of it was writing 4 IEPs so that was a one off. About another hour and a half was going through emails, and responding to ones that needed it and reading all our safeguarding reports online. We’ve all been commenting on how many more emails we’re getting at the moment. Not quite sure what to do about it!

The email thing has become ridiculous, I’m sure everyone at county are still WFH and wondering what can I send them next to prove I’m actually doing something for the chunk of money we slice of their funding …..hey! I know let’s send another survey or something they can spend time either printing or sharing with parents, that’ll keep them busy …..as if we exist to be their PA! 

Now the C word is out of the box 🎄,  what are you all planning Xmas performance wise? Committee are pushing for a parent invited performance (it is one of the biggest fundraisers where they don’t have to do a lot other than sell a few raffle tickets).

We are doing in person performances this year. I’m glad it’s not just me with the emails!

in more exciting news my sister-in-law who set up her own business two years ago has been added to the Christmas gift guide for both athe Guardian and Country Living magazine this weekend. We are so proud of her!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Now the C word is out of the box 🎄,  what are you all planning Xmas performance wise? Committee are pushing for a parent invited performance (it is one of the biggest fundraisers where they don’t have to do a lot other than sell a few raffle tickets).

We only do a concert for the children leaving for school.  Think we will go with the one parent per child, but then again it's not a fund raising event for us.

We do concert for oldies- 9.15 only about 15mins max, then they are having a visit from a therapy dog with a story time.  Then the rest of the children arrive for party games etc.  We usually let all parents in at the very end (to finish the left over food!) and they take their child to visit FC on the way out. Last year though we made a one way system were they didn't actually come into the main hall- might just do that again as it did work well.

Speaking off which Andy  Father Christmas has chucked a wobbler only this morning!! He said he will not be attending unless he has a beard 'upgrade' and has found himself a £32.50 substitute and has said he will go halves on paying for it! 🤣    (he did find one that cost over £100, but reckoned maybe that was a bit too much!!!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Friday yet again!  Although to be fair I only 2 days this week!

Well, I'm off to the trampoline park 😳🙀!!    This should be interesting... apparently there was no point in me going as freebee spectator, so - I've been bought a pair of socks and I'm in!! 🤣   AND I'm babysitting tonight -so at least we should both sleep well. 

Sunnyday,  keep meaning to ask - how is the flower arranging going? 

• Like 2

louby beat me to it - tis indeed Friday again

Happy bouncing louby!

Flower arranging - hmm - well haven't done much flower arranging really, it seems to have turned into more of a 'craft' thing, which is okay but I'm not particularly interested in all the proposed Christmas projects, I don't go in for a lot of 'tat' in my house...that said, we will be making Christmas wreaths next week which I am really looking forward to

I do have a photo of my poppy arrangement at the church but it's on my phone - I can't upload it here - but I did text it to Cait, she might know how to do that???

Anyway, the company is good at the class, we do have a bit of a laugh, so it's all good

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sunnyday said:

louby beat me to it - tis indeed Friday again

Happy bouncing louby!

Flower arranging - hmm - well haven't done much flower arranging really, it seems to have turned into more of a 'craft' thing, which is okay but I'm not particularly interested in all the proposed Christmas projects, I don't go in for a lot of 'tat' in my house...that said, we will be making Christmas wreaths next week which I am really looking forward to

I do have a photo of my poppy arrangement at the church but it's on my phone - I can't upload it here - but I did text it to Cait, she might know how to do that???

Anyway, the company is good at the class, we do have a bit of a laugh, so it's all good

Isn’t it magnificent! 

99268DDB-5A61-4AE1-AF0B-C3A8D859BDFB.jpeg

• Like 3

Cait, thank you for posting that - Sunnyday it’s gorgeous!

Good luck on the baby front!

I’ve had a cold this week which has settled into one of those seal like coughs. It’s making people look at me askance even more than usual. I have an open event at school in a short while and plans to crochet a Robin this weekend.  I decided to track exactly how many hours I spent on schoolwork this week…it may have been a bad choice, I’m not sure I really wanted to know!

Other than the open event just the usual weekend stuff going on here. Have a good one everyone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Panders said:

Lovely display Sunny, well done.

NEWS FROM THE BABY FRONT LINE ..............

After 3 days in hospital waiting to be induced😱  Baby Maddie made her entrance at 9.06 last night weighing in at 6llbs 10oz in old money🤣  Mum and baby doing well.

Yay!!! congratualtions to all off you!! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Ah thank you x

That is lovely, you should all be proud of yourselves. :)  

I'm intrigued by the craft items at a flower class?. I know what you mean about tat around the house though! I love a craft project- but I don't actually want them myself.  I sometimes sew little bits and bobs for the local old peoples home summer/winter fairs.

I wanted to do a door wreath workshops for our staff at work, but left it to late to organise now :( 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Froglet said:

I’ve had a cold this week which has settled into one of those seal like coughs. It’s making people look at me askance even more than usual. I have an open event at school in a short while and plans to crochet a Robin this weekend.  I decided to track exactly how many hours I spent on schoolwork this week…it may have been a bad choice, I’m not sure I really wanted to know!

Other than the open event just the usual weekend stuff going on here. Have a good one everyone.

Hope the cough goes soon. 

Add up the hours- and make sure you only do half those extra hours next week, then half again the following week etc. (And learn to say no! - difficult I know, and I think it's a skill that comes with age to be honest)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Froglet said:

Sounds like you've picked up croup - not unusual in adults - its an airborne virus - just think of all those children coughing/sneezing on you!   Look after yourself Froglet, and definitely cut back on those hours where you can.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Froglet said:

Cait, thank you for posting that - Sunnyday it’s gorgeous!

Good luck on the baby front!

Oh poor you - sending loads of get well vibes x

Crotchet robin sounds lovely - we will expect a photo!

Thank you for your kind words re the poppy display - not too bad for a first attempt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panders said:

Lovely display Sunny, well done.

NEWS FROM THE BABY FRONT LINE ..............

After 3 days in hospital waiting to be induced😱  Baby Maddie made her entrance at 9.06 last night weighing in at 6llbs 10oz in old money🤣  Mum and baby doing well.

Whoop! Whoop! Welcome to the world baby Maddie (lovely name) sending my congratulations to all x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

That is lovely, you should all be proud of yourselves. :)  

I'm intrigued by the craft items at a flower class?. I know what you mean about tat around the house though! I love a craft project- but I don't actually want them myself.  I sometimes sew little bits and bobs for the local old peoples home summer/winter fairs.

I wanted to do a door wreath workshops for our staff at work, but left it to late to organise now :( 

So 'tat' - I will really have to watch my tongue, that's not a very nice description is it 🤦‍♀️🤣

In the first week we made lavender dollies - okay they are sort of cute, but so not my style (mine is currently residing in my downstairs loo...

Then came the poppies - I loved this - enjoyed knitting them and loved going down to the church to make arrangements - some of the group can't knit so they made paper poppies which were really lovely and one really talented lady made some huge crochet poppies which have been added to dried hydrangeas around the arch over the door - they are fantastic. I hope that the poppies can be saved and that we can add to them next year (the church warden had been a bit 'sniffy' about the idea, but is now very pleased with the displays!)

We did a dried flower arrangement and a fresh flower arrangement - enjoyed these but there could have been a bit more tuition really

Last week was 'salt dough' - now you would think that I might be a bit of an expert here 🤣 but my dough was a flippin' disaster 🤦‍♀️ - we were meant to be plaiting dough to make a wreath shape - my dough kept breaking...I tried four times and then the tutor had a go, she couldn't work with my dough, I said "oh, I'm going to bin this and do it again at home" - I didn't need to, as the following morning, as if by magic the most beautiful salt-dough wreath appeared on my doorstep...one of the other lovely ladies had made it for me, how kind is that?! This week is painting and decorating said salt-dough wreaths - well...I don't want to paint mine, it is a lovely natural colour, nor do I want to decorate it with painted dough stars etc - I have found some pretty bits from some Christmas pot-pourri that I am hoping can be glued on - we will see...

Next week is Christmas wreaths, which I am really looking forward to

After that it is 'cracker making' (no thanks) painted pebbles (hmm not really), some sort of 'santa in a bed' sewing effort (definite no thanks from me), a very tatty looking plastic arrangement on a plate with a log and candle in the middle (pass) - gosh I am an old moaner 😉 in my defence, the clever lady who made the lovely crotchet poppies commented to me in a phone call "I don't want all of this sh*t in my house, we could just go for the chat and laughs" so it's not just me 😂

• Haha 2