Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

49 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Random question....why is it that when early years is mainly managed and staffed by women that there are so many men leading us? I have just watched several videos about new DM's and curriculum for September and all of them were led by men....Why?????? are women not seen as being good enough? intelligent enough? or do we just allow ourselves to be badly paid employees??????? 

I wouldn't mind if any of them had actually answered the actual question they were posed!!!

sorry...ranting!

Rant away fm - you make a very good point

• Thanks 1

Another random question - which maybe sunnyday can answer -  Can early years workers really make good gardeners ?   I've planted my seeds and the instructions say .. 'prick out the weak ones, select the strongest'...... and my work head says  'but everyone is unique and just needs to right support'  😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Random question....why is it that when early years is mainly managed and staffed by women that there are so many men leading us? I have just watched several videos about new DM's and curriculum for September and all of them were led by men....Why?????? are women not seen as being good enough? intelligent enough? or do we just allow ourselves to be badly paid employees??????? 

I wouldn't mind if any of them had actually answered the actual question they were posed!!!

sorry...ranting!

I can't get my head around either the new DM or the B-to-5 one!   That alone seems a good argument for retirement 😩

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Another random question - which maybe sunnyday can answer -  Can early years workers really make good gardeners ?   I've planted my seeds and the instructions say .. 'prick out the weak ones, select the strongest'...... and my work head says  'but everyone is unique and just needs to right support'  😳

🤣🤣🤣 I think it's a bit like when we are clearing our resources cupboards - sometimes we just have to be ruthless - it doesn't come naturally to us

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I can't get my head around either the new DM or the B-to-5 one!   That alone seems a good argument for retirement 😩

I am so keen to have a look at this documentation - why - I am never going to need to know what's in them 🤷‍♀️😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

🤣🤣🤣 I think it's a bit like when we are clearing our resources cupboards - sometimes we just have to be ruthless - it doesn't come naturally to us

I've requested that the staff sort the cupboard when I'm not there 🤣😳

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I am so keen to have a look at this documentation - why - I am never going to need to know what's in them 🤷‍♀️😂

Now you're just gloating! 🤣🤣🤣

I'm actually thinking I don't need either, just the staffs own knowledge - but I guess that only works if the staff have knowledge in the first place!

And while I'm in a ranting mode - why do they always have to add so many photo's in these documents? At the least the DM hasn't - but then again it's printed in a very un-user friendly format. Information spread across pages rather than compressed into one page? At least the B-to- 5 is more readable even if it full of colour and photos so expensive to print off!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Nor me Louby...I personally think DM is far too loose and yes I’ve read all the arguments put forward about not thinking of it as age bands but it’s exactly that! 0-3/3-4 are age bands, it’s too big to just say a child is ‘expected’ in it when they could be a 3 year old who is only just walking and I know my professional judgement tells me there is obviously a concern there but then you question what’s the point in the DM document at all? just use your judgement (but not sure how NQ staff will manage with nothing to reference) and I don’t like that the aspects are not given more prominence (I really liked that gross & fine were being split, that never worked as one).

But I don’t really like B25 either as that has too many age bands/ranges making it too restrictive, they both needed putting in a bag and shaking up ....though we’d probably just get back to what we already have ......there’s clearly no pleasing some people 🙈🤪

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Bizarrely, I also feel I need to see them!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cait said:

Bizarrely, I also feel I need to see them!  

Could you both have a look and tell us which/how to use either/both...I think I’m in a fog with it all and the new framework + inspection handbook to take on board ...it seems bloody unfair that this has all been dumped on us now after the year we’ve had, I’d really have liked to have the time & the inclination to pull the best from both and create my own curriculum but I really don’t have either these days 🥺

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Now you're just gloating! 🤣🤣🤣

I'm actually thinking I don't need either, just the staffs own knowledge - but I guess that only works if the staff have knowledge in the first place!

And while I'm in a ranting mode - why do they always have to add so many photo's in these documents? At the least the DM hasn't - but then again it's printed in a very un-user friendly format. Information spread across pages rather than compressed into one page? At least the B-to- 5 is more readable even if it full of colour and photos so expensive to print off!!

How much are hard copies?

Also why are they not sending out at least ne hard copy to settings

22 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Could you both have a look and tell us which/how to use either/both...I think I’m in a fog with it all and the new framework + inspection handbook to take on board ...it seems bloody unfair that this has all been dumped on us now after the year we’ve had, I’d really have liked to have the time & the inclination to pull the best from both and create my own curriculum but I really don’t have either these days 🥺

It is very unfair in my humble - there is always something to try to get your head around and it's usually timed so that you spend your entire summer holiday consumed by these problems (GDPR anyone)

I will probably end up having a look at them but I honestly think my poor old brain is worn out so you really couldn't trust my judgement

22 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I’d really have liked to have the time & the inclination to pull the best from both and create my own curriculum but I really don’t have either these days 🥺

This is me. 😟  A few years ago I'd have be devouring them like chocolate and wine and creating my own format, now I haven't even really looked at them properly yet.

Considering the year + we've had, you'd think Osfted would just say 'Right, we're having a total resent from September 2021 (unless concerns). I'm now stressing over current standards/inspection frames and not even thinking about the new ones!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Good heavens - I am far too much of a control freak to ever allow that to happen!

Well I do have a sneaky look at what's on it's way out.... last time I found a brand new book about  different kinds of families on it's way to the charity shop 😳!! (I think someone had a hidden agenda on getting rid of that one 😬)  

12 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

How much are hard copies?

Also why are they not sending out at least ne hard copy to settings

Not checked yet.  But I thought I'd print one of each to compare.  I didn't print all 128 pages of the coloured B25 one though!

You would think that all settings should get a least one hardcopy though.

9 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Well I do have a sneaky look at what's on it's way out.... last time I found a brand new book about  different kinds of families on it's way to the charity shop 😳!! (I think someone had a hidden agenda on getting rid of that one 😬)  

🤦‍♀️ that's exactly the sort of thing that would happen at my setting too <shudders>

5 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Not checked yet.  But I thought I'd print one of each to compare.  I didn't print all 128 pages of the coloured B25 one though!

You would think that all settings should get a least one hardcopy though.

I'm sure that we have always been sent at least one hard before (when big changes are coming) - in fact I still have hard copies of all sorts (but perhaps I purchased them, I really can't remember)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I've not actually read it properly- just thought it looked handy os saved it !🤣

It is useful for comparing both, I’ve read too many FB posts on the subject now, it’s nice to discuss what we all have planned (or don’t yet) here 🙂 

there are plenty of points in both i disagree with but find myself getting irritated with B25, i just don't like the way its phrased ...i feel its really patronising. Having watched and had some training from Julian i feel i better understand the DM's and where he is going with them but am keen to explore the possibilities of our own curriculum too. Julians attitude of nothing is ruled out but everything is ruled in (re IT etc), take your time to sort things out and spend more time concentrating on issues/difficulties makes sense. but i'm struggling with how i'm going to work it all out!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

there are plenty of points in both i disagree with but find myself getting irritated with B25, i just don't like the way its phrased ...i feel its really patronising. Having watched and had some training from Julian i feel i better understand the DM's and where he is going with them but am keen to explore the possibilities of our own curriculum too. Julians attitude of nothing is ruled out but everything is ruled in (re IT etc), take your time to sort things out and spend more time concentrating on issues/difficulties makes sense. but i'm struggling with how i'm going to work it all out!!!

I’ve watched a number of JG short videos on the matter and really like them and as they are in short bites they will be easy to share with staff for discussion at a meeting, I am leaning toward DM, I think B25 may well become a ticking exercise again for staff who see everything as needing to be in black & white.

I also like the idea in theory of coming up with my own because I still think SSM is important and don’t want it forgotten, but then wonder how it might fit with Tapestry if we personalise things, I’m confused as to why they both have aspects yet they seem to be being ignored in any assessments going forward e.g I may have a ‘concern’ in UTW but it won’t necessarily be the whole area just one of the aspects...oh I don’t know 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1