Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cooking ideas

We don't have a cooker anymore, what type of facilities do you have Zigzag?

This term we are looking at Harvest, we have already harvested our blackberries - but they ate them for snack!

We are going to have a juicing station, I've bought some hand juicers, we will be making fruit kebabs and apple tasting when the new season's crop is available.

In the past we would have made apple and blackberry crumbles, \(though possibly not very p.c. healthy these days! We did the usual fairy cakes and biscuits, veggie soup. We never did get round to bread rolls, but I'm sure that's do-able. We also used to do pizzas using either muffins or flatbreads as the base. Not very adventurous really.

• Like 1

veggie soup always this time of year, children all brought a vegetable each to prepare and add... was different every time, used a pressure cooker and occasionally blended it to make it smooth. No pressure cooker then we grated all the veg or cut very small for a quicker cook. Have done it in microwave one year, but took longer as had to be small batches..

Bread rolls.. I used to make a batch of dough before leaving home so it would prove once before shaping and having a second prove. The children made a batch using dried yeast or fresh so they could see the smell and yeast reaction, they used and made rolls with the batch of dough I had made earlier.The batch they made was used for the later group , .. the last group who made it the dough was put in the fridge overnight and used instead of playdough .. make sense? It was a rotation so they all had a chance to prove well in the time we had.seemed to work well.

Pizza, either make the dough if you can, or we used bought muffins and if no way of grilling them sent them home with cooking instructions..

jelly, solid to liquid to solid.. and no cooking involved apart from hot water, needs supervision but always enjoyed, use paper cups for setting and sending home, could be made into trifle if more adventurous. .

Have just tried a search and not much has come up, there used to be a very useful recipe resource library on here that seems to have gone, I had a lot of picture cards from that with easy individual recipes for each child to make one fairy cake each , a lovely gingerbread, and biscuits we used to make.

Suppose a cake in a mug would work if you have a microwave.

Thanks I searched and could not find it.. there was a separate section just for recipes though that made it easy to find them, maybe we all stopped cooking with the children so no longer needed.

And we often had a small group cook each week and take turns , they all knew when they were due to cook, and made enough for everyone to try some or take home .

Edited by Inge

im struggling with ideas at the moment as I have one child who is allergic to dairy/wheat/barley/eggs and oats!...doesn't leave a lot to use!!.....his father asked me what he should feed him for lunch the other day...really struggled not to say well what have you been feeding him for the last three years!

• Like 3

im struggling with ideas at the moment as I have one child who is allergic to dairy/wheat/barley/eggs and oats!...doesn't leave a lot to use!!.....his father asked me what he should feed him for lunch the other day...really struggled not to say well what have you been feeding him for the last three years!

Think I might be asking the doctor to advise on a de-sensitising programme - poor child. Would a vegan diet be any good I wonder or am I showing my ignorance?

One of my assistants has always done a cooking activity each week with the children and was amazing doing it. She is now 1-1 for the two days she is in with our gorgeous new little girl who has got Down syndrome. I can do anything with children but I just do not seem to have the patience for cooking with them! I need to step up and do this as the children really love the cooking activities. I did brave fairy cakes the other day and just about survived! Just looking for some different ideas to try and get me going. We have a baby belling to cook on and in!

Think I might be asking the doctor to advise on a de-sensitising programme - poor child. Would a vegan diet be any good I wonder or am I showing my ignorance?

he is the only child I have ever had who has an epi-pen for his allergies but has never had anything more severe than bad hives (bad enough I know but not usually life threatening)

ive put a list of ideas together for all my families as we seem to have a bit of an issue with this at the moment!

he is the only child I have ever had who has an epi-pen for his allergies but has never had anything more severe than bad hives (bad enough I know but not usually life threatening)

ive put a list of ideas together for all my families as we seem to have a bit of an issue with this at the moment!

We had a child with 'life threatening' allergy to nuts - on the child's birthday she sent in a 'may contain' nuts cake and told that make was fine. :huh: We refused it serve it mum was not happy.

• Like 3

Thanks for the ideas. I used my soup maker tonight and thought I might do some soup with them in it. A discussion was sparked today by looking at pictures of fruit, so I know it's not cooking but might do a tropical fruit salad or fruit kebabs next week. I know it's not healthy but we are making jam tarts tomorrow.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)