Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parttime deputy

My deputy is part time and a lovely person but she can only work part time due to the expensive cost of childcare (her words not mine). I am just a little worried that Ofsted may make me get a full time deputy on our next inspection or raise it as a cause for concern. Statutory guidance say level 3, competent and available to step into my shoes if I am off. She lives a fair distance away from the setting and doesnt drive....and with 2 young children it must be hard. A few weeks ago I was taken ill in the early hours and because she cant get there early enough for opening times and finishes at 2pm and setting closes at 3pm we had to close. This part time hours means also that at the moment I can't give her much responsibility because she doesnt want to take work home with having 2 children. I also cant leave theroom after 2 or before she arrives because no other staff are level 3

Keep closing isnt good for us and not for the children.....

She is a good worker but sometimes not confident but as a way with children....

Any ideas please....

Could you employ another level 3 to job share with her or could, or would, one of the other staff do level 3 qualification? The problem is what would her role be if you took on a new deputy? Would there be a role for her? When you employed her, she couldn't drive? She possibly didn't have children but pretty sure that you can't use that as a reason to 'terminate' her contract. I think you will have to go back to her contract and have a look at the terms and conditions to see if they are all being met??? Mmmm, tricky.

I know, from experience, it can be difficult to manage a small team. You try to do the best for the setting but it can become very personal and cliché.

Edited by lsp
  • Like 2

Probably time to look at contract and her role to check If she is unable to complete the role as deputy, go through your job description for the role with her and at least look at employing another level 3 as job share deputy. We always had one on site or a level 3 able to step in if needed.. you do need someone who is available more . May be not possible but she may do better as a staff member and employ a full time deputy, doesn't sound like she is fulfilling a deputy role.

I can understand her need for part time, and wanting to help her , I used to try the best for good staff.. but it cannot be at the detriment of the setting or rest of the children.. she has to be able to complete the job, and keep the setting open when you cannot.

• Like 2

Sorry I burnt out so possibly not thinking correctly.

But don't you need a manager + a level 3 ...then others can be L2 ?. Meaning after 2oc your not in correct ratio anyway. I may be completely wrong though.

No according to statutoryguidance only manager on duty needs a level3 and half of staff level 2. Know the feeling of head burnt out

• Like 2

Sorry Wendy don't think this is what you want to hear but I think that Ofsted will be looking for a deputy who can, as you said, step into your shoes as it were and keep the setting running in your absence

Hope you are fully recovered from your illness :1b

• Like 2

I agree with Sunnyday. Your deputy needs to be somebody who can completely fill your shoes on a day to day, and possibly month by month basis if the need arises. She should be able to cover the same hours that you do, or deputise things like setting up at the start of the day. Completing the day and locking up should still fall to her as the person responsible for the security of the building. She should be willing to take over the daily paperwork as needed, and this may include taking money and banking it and making sure this all tallies correctly. She should be fully conversant with your operating systems and be able to talk about your policies, do peer observations etc in case Ofsted walk in through the door.

I hope you feel better soon.

Quick edit to say that my very excellent deputy wasn't full time, but could be if I had needed her to be.

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2