Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

SEN child refusing to wear a hat outside

All help welcome please - we have a little chap who has complex needs but has been doing really well adjusting to our boundaries with a lot of consistency from staff.

Today we hit the sunhat issue - we strictly adhere to 'not hat you don't go outside' and did the same with this little boy - he would not wear a hat (one of ours as parent's had not provided one) so he was guided back inside, when he tried to go out again we tried to persevere with the hat but he wasn't having any of it so he went back inside.

I spoke to Dad when he picked up asking them to provide a hat for him and explained what had happened - Mum has since been in contact and asked if she can sign a form to say he doesn't have to wear a hat as he refuses for them to. I replied no - on two grounds - 1. it is for his own welfare and 2ndly there are plenty of other children who don't like wearing their hats but we do insist and although I accept there has to be some discretion for his additional needs I do not feel we would be being fair to the other children.

Mum feels that it is unfair as due to his sensory issues he doesn't like things on his head and that he is potentially going to miss being outside during the summer.

Do I persist - he has a good understanding of our other routines and follows the majority and I don't want him to miss the outdoors as we have a good free flow provision. How do I decide how much is the sensory issue and how much is just stubbornness?? We don't currently have any canopies but the garden is partly shaded with trees.

Any alternative suggestions greatly appreciated.

We have children who flatly refuse or similarly do not have sun cream on and although we do encourage hats (some of them sound similar to your little one) we don't insist - however if they don't wear a hat or don't have suncream they MUST stay in the shade only - if they don't then they have to go indoors :)

If wearing a hat makes him very uncomfortable then maybe you have to weigh up the rigidity of the policy with reasonable adjustments to ensure he can access the curriculum like anyone else I guess!

Cx

I'd be reluctant to force this. We had a little girl upset today because she didn't get a pink plate. I'd be prepared to give her one, its not hurting anyone else. If its a stubborn trait she'll no doubt het over it eventually.

Could you maybe have a selection of hats and make it a fun activity trying them on?

If its a sensory issue I wouldn't push it, you wouldn't force the issue with any other disability would you? ?

• Like 1

At this time of year, I can't imagine that having no hat is going to pose a significant risk. Could you risk assess this a bit more closely and think about keeping him under shade as much as possible when the sun isn't too hot, perhaps extending the shade with a canopy, being extra careful about sun cream and finding ways to entice him inside when the sun is strong enough that a hat is really essential?

The thing about sensory issues is that they can have a huge impact on a child. You could probably eventually get him to realise that the hat is compulsory outside and he might give in and wear it. However, if that hat is causing him constant stress and irritation, is he going to have the opportunity to play and learn effectively alongside his peers outside? My guess is no. That means he still isn't accessing the curriculum so he might as well be inside on his own. You may also find that his behaviour deteriorates as a result of wearing the hat and causes other problems which far outweigh the issue of other children not understanding why you're making adjustments for him. Sensory niggles can make children very cross without them having any idea why they feel like that.

If you do find that the other children complain that he is allowed not to wear a hat, you could use is as an opportunity to think about equality and diversity with them. They will go through life seeing that allowances and adjustments are made for certain people for very good reasons. It's never too early to start helping them to learn to accept and see the value in them.

• Like 4

One of my Sen children used to refuse his coat on outside but talking with mum he would wear one, so it was coat on or not outside, after roughly a week he allowed us to put his coat on. Yet wellies posed another issue and talking with mum he hated wellies so even though wet play required wellies he didn't have any on just soaked his shoes instead. I guess my point is I think it's give and take, some things he will really struggle with others are just learning boundaries and what's expected, if mum is saying he has sensory issues of things on head, I'd document it get signature and allow him outside. I'd try also adding more hats, scarfes etc inside to increase ability to play with them and hopefully progress also you could gauge more then through watching his possible play indoors with the added materials if he had sensory issues with hats or it is about not accepting adult direction.

Edited by Foreveryoung

We had a child once who was diagnosed ASD who refused to wear hats. We tried all the usual now and then, visual aids but they became very distressed and even if he went out wearing one, it was off within seconds of going outside. After discussions with parents, they bought a hat that fitted in with his favourite 'topic' at that time. I think it was spiderman. It was a bit big so that it was looser fitting on his head but it worked - most of the time. Interest changed to angry birds, so new hat!

• Like 4

I think the other thing to realise here is that the other children will not see this as a breach of rules - they will accept the needs of the individual child. Children are very accommodating of other children's needs and differences, in fact this is part of the stautory educational programme for PSED and UTW isn't it!!

Cx