Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

two years and 11 months ?

blondie

my neighbours grand son attends a private nursery - he is almost 2 - we were discussing how he is getting on there etc., - however, i was totally gobsmacked when she told me that at this nursery the parents had been told that he should not be potty trained until he is 2 years and 11 months!

has anyone else heard this -do this?

surely potty training is individual to each child and when they are ready?

it also makes me wonder whether as each child turns 2/11 they are automatically potty trained whether ready or not (before or after this age)? :huh:

I know of a preschool that told parents this... funnily enough they charged parents for every nappy they changed, something like 50p a nappy :o even the 2/3/4 year old funded children.. and the parents just paid it!!

i can find NO evidence of where they have got this from (perhaps ask for the evidence????) in fact i have become quite chilled about potty training because SO many of my children are in nappies...but having read the info on the web it seems England may be being too relaxed about this...other countries appear to expect children to be trained between 18 months and 2 years!

Interesting isn't it (this laid back attitude)........

I might have even been heard to mutter 'bet they'd all be trained if we went back to the old days of no entry until trained' :ph34r: - I wouldn't really want to do that though ::1a

I have a four year old in nappies - no SEN - mum had said "oh we will tackle that after his birthday" - well that's been and gone - latest "we will tackle that during the holiday" - this one - hmmm.........he starts school this year, so I really, really hope she is going to 'tackle this' :1b

• Like 2

i have started hard lining those who are not playing ball! explaining that they will have low 'scores' on their development in health and self care. Have also got some info somewhere about leaving it too late causes issues ...there some research about 4 years olds brains not being wired to go and therefore it takes them much longer to train. I have also persuaded several families to toilet train this year....and equally have told one not to!!.......please dont get me wrong i do this nicely :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 1

Have also got some info somewhere about leaving it too late causes issues ...there some research about 4 years olds brains not being wired to go and therefore it takes them much longer to train.

Yes, I was heard an interview on the radio about this a few years ago - They were saying there is a 'window of opportunity' around 2ish and once this has passed it can become more and more difficult the older the child becomes.

I've never actually found any info to back this up though. (TBF I've not actually seriously looked for it either! :rolleyes: )

Researchers from the University of Alberta have looked at several published studies which show that children who stay in nappies too long are more likely to suffer incontinence and bladder infections.

One study carried out by researchers at Bristol University showed that children who had been potty trained after the age of two were one and a half times more likely to have persistent 'accidents' at school.

The researchers pointed out that children who spend too long in nappies have less time to learn how to control their bladders before they start school.

Dr Darcie Kiddoo, from the University of Alberta, who reviewed this study along with other research on potty training, said: 'Toilet training is felt to be a natural process that occurs with development, yet very little scientific information is available for the physicians who care for children.'

Writing in the Canadian Medical Association Journal she concluded that children were more likely to wet themselves frequently – known as a 'disorder of elimination' if they are potty trained late.

'There is some evidence to suggest that more disorders of elimination may develop in children who toilet train late.' she added.

Boys tend to take longer potty training than girls as they have to master how to empty their bladders while standing up.

not the best info ..but a start! ;)

Edited by finleysmaid
  • Like 1

I have a four year old in nappies - no SEN - mum had said "oh we will tackle that after his birthday" - well that's been and gone - latest "we will tackle that during the holiday" - this one - hmmm.........he starts school this year, so I really, really hope she is going to 'tackle this' :1b

I hope so too Sunnyday, but am quite used to toilet training two or three children per class each year when they start in Reception - usually no reason from parents other than 'We've tried but they're not getting the idea somehow'.

It doesn't usually take too long, and certainly all done by Christmas, for daytime dryness, and we try to encourage parents to go for no nappies at night too, but that's another story!

Yes thanks Mary - the school that we feed are fantastic and I know that they would help him. However, I have never, ever, ever had a child leave me in nappies and I don't intend to start that this year! ;) ::1a

Fm - that info was really interesting (tried to like, but as previously I seem to be having some difficulties there) anyway thanks :1b

• Like 2

'I have a four year old in nappies - no SEN - mum had said "oh we will tackle that after his birthday" - well that's been and gone - latest "we will tackle that during the holiday" - this one - hmmm.........he starts school this year, so I really, really hope she is going to 'tackle this' :1b'

.....and then the blame falls at our feet when they are not completely toilet trained on entry to school ... I am so fed up of trying to encourage parents to start toilet training with their 3.5-4yr olds, even when they show an interest in using the toilet at nursery and tell you when they need changing some parents still don't want to know...and yes sunnyday you did hear me muttering away, not that it should be again but for many years we started them at 2.9yrs and had to be toilet trained and in all those years I never had anyone not start because they weren't :wacko:

• Like 3