Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Happy Easter!

sunnyday

Too many for ratio if I continue to take from 2 yrs 6 months - that's why I said that i know what I need to do really......

Well that statement is not entirely correct - but as you know I like to work well over ratio......

Would certainly make it all easier to work out if I make the decision that I will only take from aged 3 - but then I find myself worrying about those parents that think their children will be joining me in September - mind you - that is only their assumption - I haven't told them that......

Also I think 'well that's all very well' for this year but what about September 2017 - d'you know perhaps I just let September 2017 take care of itself......

Any suggestions would be gratefully received :1b

That's easy send some to me!! Not enough small posteriors on seats yet for Sept

Oh no - how insensitive of me - so sorry to hear that my lovely black and white furry friend........

Not at all Sunnyday, we were so low on numbers last September I really thought our goose was cooked, but we rallied and numbers better now, but really don't want a repeat, so would love to be in a position of too many, where some parents will naturally choose elsewhere closer to the time and we would be full. I know you are pretty much the only setting in your area, so it doesn't come as a surprise that you get bumper years like this.

It's horrible feeling you are letting families down, but not much else you can do. In my area I have been over subscribed many times at this point in the year, but for whatever reason when the time comes to make their final decision there is so much competition out there I don't have to turn anyone away in the end.

Thanks panders - I was genuinely concerned that I had been completely insensitive......

Although there is no direct 'competition' within my village - there is plenty within 'striking distance' :1b

Think my mind is now made up - it will be three year olds on entry only this year - this was something that I had in mind anyway - I had toyed with the idea of changing my opening hours (this won't be happening now) - just need to talk this over with staff on Monday and then compose a letter to those parents who think/expect that their children will be starting at 2 yrs 6 months - I will still be able to take them on but not until they are 3 :1b

Also need to break out a tape measure and look at my room size and the Statutory Requirements - see how we measure up - literally :1b

• Like 1

Thanks panders - I was genuinely concerned that I had been completely insensitive......

Although there is no direct 'competition' within my village - there is plenty within 'striking distance' :1b

Think my mind is now made up - it will be three year olds on entry only this year - this was something that I had in mind anyway - I had toyed with the idea of changing my opening hours (this won't be happening now) - just need to talk this over with staff on Monday and then compose a letter to those parents who think/expect that their children will be starting at 2 yrs 6 months - I will still be able to take them on but not until they are 3 :1b

Also need to break out a tape measure and look at my room size and the Statutory Requirements - see how we measure up - literally :1b

Do you mind me asking "Why" you changed your mind Sunnyday with regard your opening hours? I remember you saying that you were hoping to operate 4 days instead of 5? At the time I thought it was something I may look to - to make the business more viable - (not actually going the way the Gov want tho - less rather than more hours)!

I don't mind you asking at all Rafa......

We had thought about extending daily hours but reducing days offered to 4 - we simply have too many children for that to work this year - but will keep it in mind for future years.......added to that my staff team are happier to continue with 5 days with existing hours and I always take their 'needs' on board :1b

• Like 2

I don't mind you asking at all Rafa......

We had thought about extending daily hours but reducing days offered to 4 - we simply have too many children for that to work this year - but will keep it in mind for future years.......added to that my staff team are happier to continue with 5 days with existing hours and I always take their 'needs' on board :1b

Sunnyday are you a packaway setting?

As a packawayI now wish we were open 3 full days rather than 5 1/2 days

• Like 1

No we are not packaway - we do operate from a village hall - but we are very lucky in that we have a first floor room all to ourselves :1b

:lol: I misunderstood your post for a second and thought blimey thumper's ahead of the game must be opening on a Saturday morning!

No we are not packaway - we do operate from a village hall - but we are very lucky in that we have a first floor room all to ourselves :1b

:lol: I misunderstood your post for a second and thought blimey thumper's ahead of the game must be opening on a Saturday morning!

Goodgrief Sunnyday we are struggling for next year filling mornings without Saturdays too, plus my rather reluctant staff would be through the door before I finished my sentence :lol:

• Like 4

It's a vicious circle isn't it ? give 3/4yr olds more hours a week.... must get % of 2 yr olds in settings up, 2yr olds lower available places.....can't give 3 yr olds more hours.......they are going to have decide which it is they want :wacko:

i lose nearly £5000 per annum by taking two year olds instead of 3's :angry: :angry:

Soooooo - you wouldn't consider changing to three year olds only?

You've got me worried now - have I missed something glaringly obvious.......

Take the 3's if you have enough wanting places , we get practically £4 an hour for a 3/4yr or £5 for 2's

8x £4 = 32.00 less 1 member of staff (£8 approx) gives £24 an hour left

4x £5 = 20.00 less 1 ". ". ". ". Gives £12 an hour left

So the 2's are costing us £12 an hour :( and often needing more than 4:1 ratio to support them in a one room 2-5yrs setting

• Like 4

Thanks Mousie - great to have someone reassuring me that I haven't completely 'lost the plot' :1b

The difference this year is that I have lots of three yr olds who want to claim the whole 15 hours - wonder why - is the Government message seeping through to parents.........

Most (not all) of my parents are stay at home mums + one stay at home dad - those that are working are all part timers and have their childcare needs well and truly 'sorted'

• Like 2

Me too Isp - it was genuinely good to be back!

My news re taking children from 3 years as opposed to 2 years 6 months is 'out there' - my deputy made a bit of a slip up when answering a question from one of the mums......this meant that I had to very quickly email all other mums that this will affect - I really didn't want them to hear via 'Chinese whispers'......anyway all good really that my 'hand was forced' the decision is now made and I can stop agonising about it! ::1a

Happy new term everyone! :1b

• Like 5

Oh all sounds lovely young froglet :1b especially like the sound of that cake! ::1a

What are you reading?

I have just finished a book called 'The Teacher' - certainly not for the faint-hearted by I enjoyed it!

Have just started 'The trouble with Goats and Sheep' - looks promising :1b

The cake is good - sort of a mocha base then white chocolate icing and there is tons - please feel free to come and help me eat it! I'm currently reading 'The Lie Tree' by Frances Hardinge - it's a 'young adult' novel and came highly recommended by one of my book group who doesn't usually like young adult stuff. I've also got 'The Miniaturist' and 'Rivers of London' ready to start - all part of my leaving present from my last job.

Never heard of either of yours - I'm going to google now.

.... I googled - they both sound good! Note to self - you cannot buy/borrow any more books for a bit you already have 47 :o at home that you haven't read!

Edited by Froglet
  • Like 1

Froglet - are you feeling a little less frazzled and more refreshed after your break and cake?

How sweet of you to ask - thank you! I am not poorly any more although still oddly exhausted! I made another cake today - whole orange cake. I am going in to my old school in my governor role tomorrow so thought I'd take them a treat. I've caught up with friends and barely thought about school at all! Right now I ache! I have decided to start treating myself to a sports massage every 6 weeks or so to try and sort out my knotty shoulders and back. She came today and worked on me for an hour so now I feel looser but slightly bruised! I've also just been for a brisk walk round the park in the evening sunshine - am trying to get more exercise to keep the blues at bay. All that means I'm going to find a new book (finished the Frances Hardinge one this morning - I can recommend) and jump into a hot bubble bath!

Thank you again, I'm really touched that you thought of me. Hope you're still staying positive! :1b

• Like 1