Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trying to get my head around H & S & Fire training

I was wondering how you all handle Health and Safety risk assessments etc and training for H & S and Fire?

Our our H & S officer and our Fire Officer has left and no-body is particularly keen to take on either role. I'm the administrator and not based in the setting, so can't really take on these roles and I want to be able to re-assure staff about what needs to be done so that someone will volunteer to take on the role!

I always worry if our training is sufficient and what the H & S/Fire person should be doing and when and if we are getting it right!

What do you do to cover these requirements? Who is your H & S and Fire person?

We did have a meeting with a company called peninsula about our employment and H & S stuff, but we have been very strapped for cash and were reluctant to pay that amount of money every month, what do others do to cover these regulatory items?

Any advise at all gratefully received!

What exactly does the H&S and Fire officer do?

We have someone nominated to risk assess the environment each day, garden, exits, windows etc, but all staff check equipment as they work, we dont have a named fire officer though.

We're in rented church hall so does that make a difference?

As manager I am the nominated person responsible for Health and Safety. I have a nominated committee member. Between us we carry out regular checks, write any risk assessments, review policies, procedures, risk assessment already in place. We go on training which is updated every 3 years (provided by LA at a cost) - Health and Safety (including risk assessment) and Fire Safety (including risk assessment). Daily risk assessment is carried out by staff working in specific areas. We don't have a Fire Officer. In the event of a fire or evacuation, the senior member of staff on duty is in charge. We practice fire drills with everyone taking a turn leading.

• Like 1

Actually Thumperrabbit - it does sound impressive when its written down!! In fact, if you 'unpicked' everything we do and wrote it down, we would all sound impressive. We just don't give ourselves the credit we all deserve!!! Big clap and a pat on the back for all early years professionals!!!! Hurray.

(My computer won't let me do any smileys - so not that impressive lolx)

• Like 3

What exactly does the H&S and Fire officer do?

We have someone nominated to risk assess the environment each day, garden, exits, windows etc, but all staff check equipment as they work, we dont have a named fire officer though.

We're in rented church hall so does that make a difference?

I've taken this extract from our local authority guide to writing a fire-safety procedure

"You will need to highlight your nominated fire marshal and their responsibilities and duties. You should make sure your nominated fire marshal has completed appropriate training.

The requirement is to have a responsible person for fire safety who (if necessary) are trained for the role. St Johns Ambulance offer fire marshal training and also has a fire marshal calculator so businesses can calculate how many fire marshals they need for the type of premises they have. Go to www.sja.org.uk and search for fire marshal calculator."

Well, thats going onto my list of 'Things to discuss' at the staff meeting I'm planning, thank you ::1a ::1a

Although I recall speaking to a fire fighter years ago and he said all the fire service want is for us to get out, not fighting fires, just get out.

Edited by Rea

Well, thats going onto my list of 'Things to discuss' at the staff meeting I'm planning, thank you ::1a ::1a

Although I recall speaking to a fire fighter years ago and he said all the fire service want is for us to get out, not fighting fires, just get out.

That probably is still the fire brigade's view point, but the pen pushers out there want something different!

But what does a Fire Marshall do? Is it about ensuring everyone gets out of a building quickly and safely and no one is left inside? Is using an extinguisher training mandatory?

Well this is what I'm not sure about, they say "appropriate" training, it's one of those grey areas, H & S training advise is also unclear.

I would have thought the main thing is, get the children and staff our safely and ensure you know that you have everyone!

We had an in house Fire Safety training course for all staff.. and if anybody has watched the Phoenix Nights episode with Keith Lard it wasn't far from our experience!

Basically are fire exits available and well signed, and are staff aware of fire procedure to follow. Also how to use fire extinguishers and which each one is for. Emergency lighting is good to have and a fire alarm or bell is also good to have!

it was quite useful actually but just basic common sense. If you hear fire alarm, follow procedure and meet at fire assembly point. Regular fire drills are good practice.

But what does a Fire Marshall do? Is it about ensuring everyone gets out of a building quickly and safely and no one is left inside? Is using an extinguisher training mandatory?

Well this is what I'm not sure about, they say "appropriate" training, it's one of those grey areas, H & S training advise is also unclear.

I would have thought the main thing is, get the children and staff our safely and ensure you know that you have everyone!

We had a fire drill today, I am the Fire Warden for the Nursery and our Estates manager informed me that I should have closed all windows and turned off electrical appliances......we have 16 windows in the Nursery and I couldn't possibly tell you how many plugs I'd have to switch off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I am assuming that this should happen after you have made sure everyone else is out of the building. You would then go back in ........... Really - because we all get paid enough to do that! Please share your reply to the estates manager???? (That's if it is repeatable)

• Like 2

I am assuming that this should happen after you have made sure everyone else is out of the building. You would then go back in ........... Really - because we all get paid enough to do that! Please share your reply to the estates manager???? (That's if it is repeatable)

They aren't repeatable I'm afraid!!! ;-) Hahaha!! Apart from....I'm not doing it, which didn't go down too well. :-D

• Like 1

We had a fire drill today, I am the Fire Warden for the Nursery and our Estates manager informed me that I should have closed all windows and turned off electrical appliances......we have 16 windows in the Nursery and I couldn't possibly tell you how many plugs I'd have to switch off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although we have done fire extinguisher training. We are in a thatch building and were told that we get everyone out and stay out!

Hmm, so there's a fire and you have to go around shutting windows and turning off sockets, seems a bit daft to me! Best start wearing a flame resistant suit to work just in case!

Well that takes the prize for the most ridiculous suggestion that I have heard re fire safety - my take on it is 'get out and stay out' :ph34r:

• Like 3

I've taken this extract from our local authority guide to writing a fire-safety procedure

"You will need to highlight your nominated fire marshal and their responsibilities and duties. You should make sure your nominated fire marshal has completed appropriate training.

The requirement is to have a responsible person for fire safety who (if necessary) are trained for the role. St Johns Ambulance offer fire marshal training and also has a fire marshal calculator so businesses can calculate how many fire marshals they need for the type of premises they have. Go to www.sja.org.uk and search for fire marshal calculator."

Just had a look at this, the calculator reckons I need five fire Marshalls - at £140 a pop I don't think so! The fire brigade did come and visit me at home once to do a risk assessment / plan exit route type thing. I wonder if they would do the same for businesses... Will investigate.

Damn it seems to have moved or taken down? it was a great guide too! Basically said if anything at all needs to be lifted then you need manual handling advise. So this could apply to all staff of course, and just some advise on the wall in the form of a poster maybe, or within a policy that they all read and understand? I don't think it's a major health and safety risk personally but better to have something in place in case of injury, due to lifting.

Edit - something like this maybe?

http://evaq8.co.uk/images/D/C168-A597.jpg

Edited by BroadOaks
  • Like 1

Just had a look at this, the calculator reckons I need five fire Marshalls - at £140 a pop I don't think so! The fire brigade did come and visit me at home once to do a risk assessment / plan exit route type thing. I wonder if they would do the same for businesses... Will investigate.

Ooh, do let us know if you manage to find anything out! I did that calculator to and wasn't impressed with the results!

utter rubbish! IMHO! if however you can turn off the gas tap then brill....i have seen a fire when this has not been done ans its a bit scary! electricity is not normally an issue!

Marshad - Fire safety officers do come round and carry out inspections like Environmental Health. We had a phone call few years ago to make an app for the visit. He looked at our fire risk assessments, fire drill logs, evacuation procedures, fire exits and basically made sure we were legal. I think you can ring your local fire station and ask for advice?

• Like 1